PDA

View Full Version : Whats your excuse

theurbansuburban
10-31-2005, 01:38
I'm a college studen and possibly planning a thru in 2007. What I was wondering was how do your find time to take your hike? I've heard some people say they got their college to sponsor them or something. My problem is that I have to do a Co-op durring my breaks, I wonder if I can convince my college I'll learn more on a thru, then pouring coffee for my boss. This question is mostly for college age hikers, but all opinions are welcom.

tiamalle
10-31-2005, 02:20
I'm a college studen and possibly planning a thru in 2007. What I was wondering was how do your find time to take your hike? I've heard some people say they got their college to sponsor them or something. My problem is that I have to do a Co-op durring my breaks, I wonder if I can convince my college I'll learn more on a thru, then pouring coffee for my boss. This question is mostly for college age hikers, but all opinions are welcom.
give it a try friend,who knows it might just work

Blue Jay
10-31-2005, 07:06

You have to do a Co-op. I think that nails you to the floor. Pouring coffee for your boss is perfect training for corporate life, enjoy it.

Whistler
10-31-2005, 09:37
I suppose it depends on what the co-op is supposed to be about, and how the AT might relate.

I know that schools sometimes try to pull stuff on you that you really *don't* have to do. Some persistence will help. And the other key, I think, will be to show that you have a game plan--having already done some preparation beforehand, plans for 'what else' you'll be doing while hiking, and perhaps having some sense of what you'd like to do as a take-away/ follow-up project. I'm not sure of your school, or their policies, but it never hurts to propose an well-thought alternative [as opposed to 'ask for permission'].

Another option could be a temporary withdrawal, and finish up 1 semester later. Again, I'm not sure of how this would work in your particular school, but it could be worth it.

And of course, you can just wait until college is all over. Then you'll have some serious flexibility and no time constraints.
-Mark

hikerjohnd
10-31-2005, 10:08
I managed to get funding from my college because I tied my hike to my thesis. Since they were footing the bill, getting time off was no problem!

Ender
10-31-2005, 11:14

I did my thru directly following college, not during. I considered doing it one summer, but I'm glad I waited. I finished school up in December, and left mid March, with a couple months in between to save up more money. Consider waiting... that way you won't have a time line.

kaytee
10-31-2005, 13:11
I did my thru-hike immediatly after finishing undergrad. I did a co-op program while I was at school where you had to do 4 out of 5 work terms. If I had wanted to I could have skipped one to hike. Mind you that at my school this would have worked out to almost five months off and might not be feasible for you if you have a 3-month summer.

theurbansuburban
10-31-2005, 19:52
Mind you that at my school this would have worked out to almost five months off and might not be feasible for you if you have a 3-month summer.
actually my co-op would be for 5 months so it seems as if it would work out pretty well. Thanks for all the advice so far. I'm begining to think about waiting till I'm done, but I want to do it now :banana

hammock engineer
10-31-2005, 20:16
Like someone else said check how many coops that you have to do. I was told by my college that I could not get out of any. I was able to get out of one to do something similar.

Every college has a way to get out of co-ops. You just need to find the right person, committee, or form to fill out. Just talk to as many college administrators and advisors as you can. Find one that likes nature, hiking, conservation of something and get them on your side. Just don't take no for an answer.

Just don't take no for an answer and keep tying. It took a quarter of tying for me to get out of one.

betic4lyf
10-31-2005, 21:28
i am planning on hiking after my undergrad, but before grad school.

hammock engineer
10-31-2005, 21:38
I am going for after grad school. Seems to be the only way to get 5 months off.