PDA

View Full Version : motel and hostel costs

squeezebox
02-03-2015, 17:25
I'm hoping to keep hostel and motel costs to maybe $150 a month. Essentially once a week, maybe a bit more often. So is this idea realistic or am I full of crap ??

saltysack
02-03-2015, 17:27
As long as u don't run into any un neutered dogs....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lone Wolf
02-03-2015, 17:33
I'm hoping to keep hostel and motel costs to maybe $150 a month. Essentially once a week, maybe a bit more often. So is this idea realistic or am I full of crap ??

that's reasonable

Starchild
02-03-2015, 17:57
What are you including in your stay? Just the bed? Then possible, but also realize that things get more expensive at you travel further north, so you may want to limit it to $100/month till about Harper Ferry or so..

If your stay includes cost of laundry, dinner/breakfast in town, and especially if it includes drinks, then no this won't work.

kayak karl
02-03-2015, 18:49
the cost of hostels is in your guide. motels can vary depending on town and weekend or not. (30-80 a night)

garlic08
02-03-2015, 19:07
I don't think so. I kept a reasonable lid on costs, and my total lodging for the AT hike was about $800 for 3.5 months. That was 25% of my budget. That was 14 nights, so about once a week as you're planning.

I can see in my spreadsheet the cheaper nights down south ($40) getting more expensive up north ($80).

If I were younger and didn't have a credit card, I would have spent less, but it was a comfort item I was glad to be able to afford.

Coffee
02-03-2015, 19:16
A typical hostel might be $20-30 while motels are going to usually be $60+ so I'm thinking that a $150/month budget for weekly lodging needs to be comprised of three hostel stays and one motel stay, on average.

Jeff
02-04-2015, 07:55
The AT Guide and Companion can be really helpful when on a budget. Hostels vary greatly regarding services included (or not included) in their basic rate. Some hostels charge extra for laundry, internet, breakfast, shuttle back to trail, etc.

Don't let your "tab" at the end of your hostel stay catch you by surprise.

kayak karl
02-04-2015, 08:01
we used the guide a lot for prices. if there were two for $15 and one for $20 we stayed at the $20. it was quieter and less young people :)

RobUgly
02-06-2015, 12:16
easily do able- but really depends on your comfort level .
The cheapest I heard of was a man who only spent $350 from Springer to Harpersferry,WV

DistantDreamer
02-07-2015, 09:44
In 2012 we budgeted $1000 for lodging, and we went though $400 of that in the 800 or so miles before I was injured. For 2016, we are tripling the budget for lodging to $3000. Our total budget is going to be $12,000 for the thru-hike. We already have all our gear from 2012 when we purchased it for that thru-hike attempt. Most will say this amount is excessive but we like options and financial freedom and are firm believers that you should go to a long distance hike with far more money than you ever think you will need to take away the fear of not being able to finish because money runs out. I cannot imagine worrying about money constantly while thru-hiking, that would take away much of the enjoyment to us.

We do not drink or smoke or use street drugs, so we save a lot of money and use it to relax and clean up in better lodging. The question of lodging of course depends on a person's comfort level, how much luxury or lack of luxury they want. For example, in 2012 we often stayed at basic accommodations such as NOC where they placed us in what my girlfriend called a 'broom closet.' We started our hike at the Hiker Hostel which was to us the nicest and most clean hostel within the first 600 miles that we stayed at.

When we hike we go out 5-6 days, then go to a hotel or hostel for 1 day, resupply, and head back out for 5-6 days. So we hotel/hostel 4-5 times a month. We are talking about possible cutbacks for 2016 but I know that will fall by the wayside when she gets grimy and wants a shower after a week. I could on the other hand go a month without a shower if needed but I would be lying if I said I did not appreciate it. The difference is my girlfriend considers a shower necessary and I respect that as I do her. So we go to a hotel 1 time a week.

Bottomline: Budget FAR more money than you think you need for the thru-hike. If you do not spend it all you will still have it at the end of the trip! Far better than going cheap and running out of money.

Grampie
02-07-2015, 11:35
When you go to a motel, in any town along the trail ,always ask if they give a discount to thru-hikers. Many do.

Bronk
02-07-2015, 12:22
Even when you don't stay at a hostel or motel you're probably going to want to do laundry and take a shower, so make sure you are budgeting for that in the towns where you don't stay the night. I was on the trail 4 months and only stayed in a motel 3 times, and a hostel 5 times, but that is not the norm. You will see a lot of people in a hotel at least twice a week. And if you start moving with a group you will very likely make decisions based on what your group of friends is doing...you get a group of a half dozen people together and one of them is going to want to stop every time you cross a town, so you'll likely end up stopping in every town if you start making group decsions. That is how a lot of people burn through more money than they had planned on.

Sly
02-07-2015, 13:09
One thing to consider is motels can often be cheaper than hostels if shared with 1-3 people. Also, generally, you'll have more amenities and more privacy

Coffee
02-07-2015, 13:40
I'm never sure what to think when I hear about more than two people sharing a motel room ... motel rooms usually have two beds at the most. Are people sharing beds? Sleeping on the floor? If the latter, I'd just as soon camp. Motel floors are notoriously dirty. There's a reason why motel room carpets are usually dark with complex patterns.

barich942
02-10-2015, 22:48
I'm never sure what to think when I hear about more than two people sharing a motel room ... motel rooms usually have two beds at the most. Are people sharing beds? Sleeping on the floor? If the latter, I'd just as soon camp. Motel floors are notoriously dirty. There's a reason why motel room carpets are usually dark with complex patterns.
Not to mention the ax murders out there.

squeezebox
02-11-2015, 02:33
But on the other hand over packing a shelter and spooning with people you don't know, a queen size bed with someone you are not having sex with might be better than the shelter situation.

Slo-go'en
02-11-2015, 03:00
There's a big psychological difference between being in your own cocoon (sleeping bag) crammed in a shelter then being in a bed sharing the same sheets/blanket with someone.

rickb
02-11-2015, 05:03
I deleated my reply to barich942 -- excessive drift for this thread.

Sly
02-11-2015, 06:55
There's a big psychological difference between being in your own cocoon (sleeping bag) crammed in a shelter then being in a bed sharing the same sheets/blanket with someone.

If it's a major concern with two people sharing a bed the problem could be remedied by using your sleeping bags. I've shared motel roms with couples, guys and girls with two or more beds including rollouts.

rickb
02-11-2015, 07:09
If it's a major concern with two people sharing a bed the problem could be remedied by using your sleeping bags.

Or just wear your underwear to bed.

Sly
02-11-2015, 07:15
Or just wear your underwear to bed.

I'm not sure if underwear is enough to prevent homophobic emotional scaring.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2015, 07:31
i never share hotel rooms. why would one?

rocketsocks
02-11-2015, 08:05
I'm not sure if underwear is enough to prevent homophobic emotional scaring.That's why I bring both the companion and awols guide book...sleep with em stuffed down my back side, you'll be ok.

Traveler
02-11-2015, 08:55
That's why I bring both the companion and awols guide book...sleep with em stuffed down my back side, you'll be ok.

Not sure I'd have confessed that....

rocketsocks
02-11-2015, 10:42
Not sure I'd have confessed that.... how bout them bears!:D

ny breakfast
02-12-2015, 14:50
I knew there was a reason I never look at another hikers guide book

Walkintom
02-12-2015, 15:29
I think that $150/month is too slim especially as you get further North. In 2013 we were stymied by conditions we did not expect and and spent consecutive nights in town several times that added up to much larger lodging expenses than we anticipated:

snow down south that caused us to spend 4 days total in Franklin
icy conditions in Smokies put us in town 3 days waiting for microspikes to be shipped in (Outfitter had none left in April)
Sickness in Daleville VA resulted in 6 days in hotel
Infection in NY resulted in 9 days off trail in hotel

I feel that we were unlucky BUT we were able to handle these expenses because we had the cash set aside for just that sort of thing - unforeseen circumstances.

Have an emergency fund; it's insurance to allow you to keep hiking.

Frye
02-12-2015, 16:56
I'm not sure if underwear is enough to prevent homophobic emotional scaring.

Don't be so close minded man!

I'm also looking for a hiking partner to share hotel room cost with...

takethisbread
02-13-2015, 18:10
I think that $150/month is too slim especially as you get further North. In 2013 we were stymied by conditions we did not expect and and spent consecutive nights in town several times that added up to much larger lodging expenses than we anticipated:

snow down south that caused us to spend 4 days total in Franklin
icy conditions in Smokies put us in town 3 days waiting for microspikes to be shipped in (Outfitter had none left in April)
Sickness in Daleville VA resulted in 6 days in hotel
Infection in NY resulted in 9 days off trail in hotel

I feel that we were unlucky BUT we were able to handle these expenses because we had the cash set aside for just that sort of thing - unforeseen circumstances.

Have an emergency fund; it's insurance to allow you to keep hiking.

I agree $150 a month is pretty slim budget. Costs depend on start date( the earlier the start the more crucial motel stays are to morale) . Also weather plays a huge factor, injury, illness ect. When I got Lyme disease I took 2 days three nights off and it cost me $130 a night cause that's where I was. If it were me I would give myself a bigger budget if possible and kudos if you go under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk