PDA

View Full Version : VT and NH in late June/early July

Trish
02-03-2015, 20:28
I am getting close to finishing the AT after 3 summers of section hiking. This year my teaching schedule affords me 26 June-13 August to complete VT, NH, ME. (I have already hiked about 80 miles of ME, and don't plan to repeat those miles....)
Here is my question: I know there will be mud in Vermont. What will the black fly situation be like? I'd appreciate advice-and am fine with completing in 2016 if I can't make the miles.

nuknees
02-07-2015, 11:22
OMG...lol. I went nobo out of N.Adams, MA couples years back...around Memorial Day weekend. I don't like using any bug repellant. I brought a long sleeve shirt and headnet...I do as normal gear anyway and glad I did! Hords of horrible little buggers. Checked up at a campsite one day, thought a nice smokey fire would keep them at bay - not bloody likely! Drove us right into our tents. But, as you can tell, I lived through it and can laugh about it now...lol.

Jeff
02-07-2015, 11:32
OMG...lol. I went nobo out of N.Adams, MA couples years back...around Memorial Day weekend. I don't like using any bug repellant. I brought a long sleeve shirt and headnet...I do as normal gear anyway and glad I did! Hords of horrible little buggers. Checked up at a campsite one day, thought a nice smokey fire would keep them at bay - not bloody likely! Drove us right into our tents. But, as you can tell, I lived through it and can laugh about it now...lol.

Most NOBO AT hikers say they were glad to get to Vermont. The summertime bugs in Massachusetts are worse !!!

Cookerhiker
02-07-2015, 14:08
From my experience, black flies were not a factor in Vermont in late June, but one of the worst black fly camping locales I ever endured was The Perch shelter in the White Mountains in early July. If you start in VT June 26, you'll probably miss them in NH by the time you reach the Whites.

bigcranky
02-07-2015, 18:08
We were in VT last summer starting July 4 and the bugs were fine (and the weather was perfect.) But it really depends on the year.

Slo-go'en
02-07-2015, 22:20
There's going to be near record amounts of snow to melt here in New England, that should feed a healthy black fly season this spring.