PDA

View Full Version : water additives nuun or other ?

Tramp
02-04-2015, 04:39
Not sure where to put this thread. But here goes,, what , if any, product do you use in your water to replace electrolites and minarals lost during the day ? ive been reading about nuun tablets and someone had a mix thing on facebook a few days ago. Kinda thing to turn your water into a sports drink.

peakbagger
02-04-2015, 08:10
I used to carry premeasured bags of gatoraide powder but switched to Nuun as the sugar in gatoraid makes it less appealing when its hot. Nuun is convenient and seems to get absorbed more quickly but it just may be that I drink it more often. It is expensive but there are some savings to buy it in bulk. There is also a homemade version of electrolyte drink which is Morton lite salt mixed with enough koolaid to make it palatable. It has salt and potassium and is cheap but does take a while to work out the proportions.

garlic08
02-04-2015, 08:10
I do not use any. A decent diet including some fresh food once in a while should cover the needs of the average walker.

Those I know who need additives do stuff like run the Badwater 135 (http://www.badwater.com/event/badwater-135/), or do Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim runs. My hiking day is nothing like that.

I hiked with some folks who drank Emergen-C like it was candy, and I think that's exactly what it was--expensive candy.

MuddyWaters
02-04-2015, 22:44
Well, drinking electrolytes help get into your system faster than just eating. I often use sqwincher kwik stiks lite. They are sugar free, which isnt necessary, but they are very small and light and taste better than most other mixes i tried. I found i drink more when i use the mixes. These are pretty much found only at safety supply places, used by companies. Ive been known to get lots free from work, hence the preference. We are given some safety related items to use at home, since thats where most lost time injuries actually happen.

July
02-04-2015, 22:58
I do not use any. A decent diet including some fresh food once in a while should cover the needs of the average walker.

Those I know who need additives do stuff like run the Badwater 135 (http://www.badwater.com/event/badwater-135/), or do Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim runs. My hiking day is nothing like that.

I hiked with some folks who drank Emergen-C like it was candy, and I think that's exactly what it was--expensive candy.

Pretty much this thinking for me as well, have used some additives on short day hikes. On long distance AT there is nothing more refreshing than water pulled from a spring on the mountain, cold and perfect.

canoe
02-05-2015, 04:24
Pretty much this thinking for me as well, have used some additives on short day hikes. On long distance AT there is nothing more refreshing than water pulled from a spring on the mountain, cold and perfect. You are right that there is nothing more refreshing than the cold mountain spring but when you are sweeting like crazy in the middle of August supplements do help replace what is lost. In the hot summer I drink a lot. I mostly drink water only, but I also use the low sugar Gatoraide dry mix that is packaged in single servings.

bigcranky
02-05-2015, 08:21
Saw a lot of people on the trail last summer using Nuun and similar tabs. I preferred the little Gatorade tubes that make a pint, but mixed into a quart of water. That helped a lot to prevent leg cramps for me.

Kraken Skullz
02-05-2015, 09:22
There are always those drink mix packets made by lots of different folks, some are kool-aid, crystal light, propel, etc. I tend to drink more water during the day when I have these in my water. They do provide very little in the way of nutrition but are more of a morale booster when you have been drinking böring water all day.

Sarcasm the elf
02-05-2015, 09:32
I really believe that the claims made by water additive products are a bunch of bunk. If you were running track or playing a sport where eating real food wasn't an option, then getting some calories from your water probably has some merit, but hiking doesn't have that restriction. Eat good food throughout the day (snack continuously) and you'll be better off.

Personally I just find whatever flavor of bug juice or sports drink tastes good to me and keeps me in a good mood. At the moment my drink of choice is oldschool Tang, coolaid fruit punch comes in second. I'll usually have a pint of it in the afternoon on a hot day.

ChrisJackson
02-05-2015, 09:41
I have been trying the CamelBaK Elixir tabs for the last month...and, I like them FWIW. Purchased from Amazon. Sugar free. I prefer the ones w/o caffeine.

Havana
02-05-2015, 10:51
I buy powdered Gatorade and treat myself to a liter on hot days when I'm sweating a bunch. Otherwise, it's just water that gets it done (and Snicker's bars).

msumax1985
02-05-2015, 13:01
Not sure where to put this thread. But here goes,, what , if any, product do you use in your water to replace electrolites and minarals lost during the day ? ive been reading about nuun tablets and someone had a mix thing on facebook a few days ago. Kinda thing to turn your water into a sports drink.

I had the same question before I hiked and did some research. The sports drink only comes into play when you are participating in an activity that prevents you from eating for extended periods of time. (I ate part of a donut one time during a fun run and felt like I was about to vomit the rest of the way!) But I can eat handfuls of trail mix or pretty much anything while I hike along, so no supplement is needed in the water. You get the electrolytes and everything else you need from your food.

rustmd
02-05-2015, 13:33
what about Mio? little containers with flavor concentrates that you squirt into your bottle of water? easier to carry/store than the little sleeves of crystal lite.

wornoutboots
02-05-2015, 13:41
I use nuun

DeerPath
02-06-2015, 10:09
what about Mio? little containers with flavor concentrates that you squirt into your bottle of water? easier to carry/store than the little sleeves of crystal lite.

I don't care for sugary tasting drinks because I seen to have a sticky taste in my mouth.
MIO FIT may be a convenient water enhancer to carry.
http://www.makeitmio.com/mio-about.aspx#contentTab-1

misterfloyd
02-07-2015, 13:27
I firmly believe in the gator aid packs. They work for me and when I'm sweating in the summer I last longer.

I have tried Mio and propel.... Gave the stuff to my daughter.

The only bummer is the gator aid packs are heavy.

Floyd

DeerPath
02-07-2015, 15:05
I don't care for sugary tasting drinks because I seen to have a sticky taste in my mouth.
MIO FIT may be a convenient water enhancer to carry.
http://www.makeitmio.com/mio-about.aspx#contentTab-1

Went to WalMart yesterday and found Great Value Drink Enhancer with the same Spec. as Mio, for $1.00 less.

Walkintom
02-11-2015, 14:47
I used to use Emergen-C at the end of a tough day to replenish some of what was lost. It makes a nice warm drink before bed. When I use an electrolyte additive I get calf cramps at a greatly reduced rate than when I drink water alone.

Last Fall I switched to Nuun and have enjoyed it better than using Emergen-C. Zero cramps and the taste is a bit better. No residue problems in my bladder or bottles.

Tramp
02-13-2015, 21:44
Thanks to you all for your answers. Im going to give the nuun stuff a try for a while. The gatoraid packets are a close 2nd. Thanks again.

BlueEyes
03-24-2015, 12:16
I like the Camelbak tablets, but bought some Nuun on sale at REI last time I was walking through. Lighter and less bulky than powdered mixes. I find they make a big difference for me. Without them, I notice headaches and just a dragging feeling right around 2PM everyday, regardless of what I'm eating/drinking. Even if it's a total placebo effect, I always say go with what works! Anything longer than a day hike, I bring a tube along.

squeezebox
03-25-2015, 06:20
I plan on using lite salt, Kcl, rather than regular salt, Nacl,. I'll probably also bring calf sleeves for calf support.

BirdBrain
03-25-2015, 07:20
I use NUUN. I do so because of density and the convenience of a tablet. It is that way with all hiking items. I seek the lightest, most functional necessity that fits my budget. So far, NUUN has fit that description. However, I am always looking for a better way.

peakbagger
03-25-2015, 07:52
Its pretty simple with me, If I have nunn during the day and at the end of my hike, I don't get leg cramps in the evening. If I skip it even though I eat after the hike I frequently get severe leg cramps. After one of two leg cramp sessions I will take the Nunn anyday.

Busky2
03-25-2015, 10:16
There are always those drink mix packets made by lots of different folks, some are kool-aid, crystal light, propel, etc. I tend to drink more water during the day when I have these in my water. They do provide very little in the way of nutrition but are more of a morale booster when you have been drinking böring water all day.

End of the day treat was CRUSH, a concentrated orange flavored squeeze bottle like MiO etc. I would look forward to it, it was sort of a prize for a good days work and definitely was a moral boost.