PDA

View Full Version : Review my letter requesting sponsors.

EEKSTER
02-04-2015, 11:48
Hello Everyone.
I am planning a northbound through hike and below I will post the letter I plan to send out to potential sponsors and other groups, take a look post your thoughts but please be kind, I used the **** symbol in place of names at the moment it will all be updated when the time is right.

Thanks for your time!
Eric

Hike For Sobriety & The Trail Of Hope Ministries Shelter/Hostel

Dear Friends,
My name is Eric and I am currently planning to hike from Georgia to Maine on the Appalachian trail starting either late March or early April depending on the weather, what I am looking for is sponsors to help me to afford the cost of gear and a 4 to 5 month hike, I do work and I am saving but it ‘s more than I can afford on my own.

So now the questions, what is this about? The answer is not a short one but please take the time to read this letter before discarding to the recycle bin, I ‘m an alcoholic and have been battling with alcoholism the past year with limited success it has cost me a lot “almost everything” It has put me in hospital multiple times, rehab a few times, and of course jail for public intoxication on a few occasions.

I need to break the cycle and for the first time I have a support group and the will to quit, rehabs and hospitals didn’t work for me directly but I learned a lot about myself and this disease called alcoholism, up till last year I didn’t see my drinking as a problem and when I FINALLY did I sought out help but still had the mindset that I could drink and control it HA! I see now I could not have been more wrong and realize I can never take a drink again.

At the moment I detoxed myself and currently taking it one day at a time, this is day 15 the date 02/02/2015 I thank God for the people that have come into my life recently and the support they have given me including dropping everything to rush to my side when I am feeling like I am going to break, the urge to drink is overwhelming at times not to mention all the suppressed emotions and memories that come flooding back as the fog lifts from my mind.

The header “hike for my sanity & sobriety” could not be more true, I have reached a point I either quit drinking or alcohol is going to kill me, while at the same time it feels like quitting will do the same I know this not to be true and take things one day at a time as a good friend says to me on a daily basis “God give me the strength to make it one more day”

I hope to find many sponsors be it for gear, funds, or just moral support such as AA meetings along the way and even putting a tablet at the local AA so I can call in via video chat to attend meetings if there is not one to be found off the trail, the main reason for wanting to hike the trail is time away from the normal hustle and stress "people, places, and things” so I can regain my life and literally get to know myself sober, I have been drinking regularly since I was 13 now 36 I honestly have to get to know myself as I don't know who I am or how to live without alcohol.

My story is no different than any other alcoholic the circumstances that got me to this point may differ but the end result is the same.

Why would you want to help me? Well that is for you to decide, all I can do is tell my story and hopefully it reaches people on a level that they see I am not making excuses for my addiction I don’t feel that anyone owes me anything or that I am entitled to help, I am simply working a plan trying to better myself one day at a time and this is what I feel I need to do to make it happen, I do not think this will solve all my problems but I do feel it is a step in the right direction.

I have never been in a situation where I had to rely so heavily on others as I have these past few weeks and asking for this help and putting myself out there like this is very uncomfortable to say the least, I pray regularly giving up free will “For the first time” asking God to show me the path he wants me to follow and the best way to serve his will and this is the direction he seems to be leading me.

So I hope I have kept your interest thus far and I’m sure the next question is, what is your plan? Besides my personal goals I will also be raising funds for The Trail Of Hope Ministries Shelter/Hostel, I believe in what they do and I know first hand they believe in what they are doing as I am a testament of their work and selflessness, raising money to help this non profit shelter is the least I can do after they have taken me in and given me more help and support than a person could ask for, they will also be overseeing my trip and managing donations and sponsorships while I am on the trail.

All my gear will be purchased here in Pa any cash will be kept in the care of ************* of the Trail Of Hope Ministries Shelter and sent out as needed for food and other supplies, I will keep a blog that will be updated every couple days with my progress and pictures, if I do get sponsors any branded gear/clothing will be worn in pictures and on the trail, I will also accommodate any request or conditions sponsors or donors may have for their help.

Other plans while on the trial is going to AA meetings as mentioned, keeping in regular contact with my daughter as she is a driving force in my journey for sobriety along with my own need for inner peace and sanity, creating a better relationship between myself and the lord, and after all that finding time to enjoy nature on a level I may never have the chance to again.

Well I think that about covers it and my hope is that this will not only help me but others like me, one thing I know is alcoholics need time to learn to live again without alcohol and this may turn out to be a viable option vs. sober living houses that have a low success rate.

I hope if nothing else this letter may make you aware of alcoholism that has millions of people around the world in it’s grasp and the journey to recovery is not an easy one but one thing every recovering alcoholic knows is we cannot do it alone.

Thanks for reading.
Sincerely.
Eric

After Thoughts.

There is so much to cover and last night after completing my letter I felt like scraping the whole idea thinking no one is going to support this “well I went to bed and prayed” as I mentioned I feel this is the path God is leading me down but I had doubts that maybe I was subconsciously choosing this on my own, well I prayed and ask God if this was his will and plan for me to give me a sign, I woke this morning with the hike on my mind came downstairs to meet ****** and get ready for work, while I was pouring a cup of coffee explained to him I my plan to scrap the idea and what came next surprised me and I know God had answered my prayer , ****** looked at me and with a stern and reassuring tone said don’t worry about everyone else this is your dream and you should follow it, now that seemed to come out of now where as I Robert and I haven’t had many conversations about my idea to hike the trail and I wasn’t sure where he stood on the whole idea , his opinion means a lot to me so in a sense scared to ask afraid I might not like what I heard.

So now I am back on track and I have a wealth of knowledge at my disposal as ******* has 15000+ miles of hiking under his belt so he knows what I need which will eliminate unnecessary gear and weight in my pack raising my chances for success on this 2180 mile journey, much of the gear I need will have to be tried on such as boots, sleeping bag, Pack and so on if these things are not comfortable my chances of making a thru hike are diminished greatly, I don’t feel I need top of the line equipment or clothing “I’m not a fashion model for LL Bean” but I know I need quality gear that will stand up to 4-5 months of daily use for a safe and successful trip.

I only need one luxury item and that is a good cell phone so I can keep in contact with my daughter, I plan to give her a map of the whole trail on cork board so she can follow my progress by pegging my location on a regular basis, I also plan to take her with me camping and hiking for a few days when I pass through the area before continuing on, I feel we will both need that time as being away so long is hard on myself and her but if it gives me the chance to better myself it’s a small and worthy sacrifice in the long run, the pther reason for the phone is AA meeting and calling my sponsor if I get in a situation where I feel the need to give in to my addiction.

As an alcoholic I take it one day at a time and as a hiker it will be one step at a time, in the end I truly believe this trip will help me get my life back in order and help out a shelter run by some great people doing the Lords work.

If you would like to know more or have questions please feel free to call or email anytime.
(717)3******35
Eric*******@ymail.com

Coffee
02-04-2015, 12:15
I'm sure that you will get many responses of various types but I wanted to just wish you good luck with your sobriety and potential thru hike.

EEKSTER
02-04-2015, 12:21
I was given the go ahead for names so here is the full version.

Dear Friends,
My name is Eric and I am currently planning to hike from Georgia to Maine on the Appalachian trail starting either late March or early April depending on the weather, what I am looking for is sponsors to help me to afford the cost of gear and a 4 to 5 month hike, I do work and I am saving but it ‘s more than I can afford on my own.

So now the questions, what is this about? The answer is not a short one but please take the time to read this letter before discarding to the recycle bin, I ‘m an alcoholic and have been battling with alcoholism the past year with limited success it has cost me a lot “almost everything” It has put me in hospital multiple times, rehab a few times, and of course jail for public intoxication on a few occasions.

I need to break the cycle and for the first time I have a support group and the will to quit, rehabs and hospitals didn’t work for me directly but I learned a lot about myself and this disease called alcoholism, up till last year I didn’t see my drinking as a problem and when I FINALLY did I sought out help but still had the mindset that I could drink and control it HA! I see now I could not have been more wrong and realize I can never take a drink again.

At the moment I detoxed myself and currently taking it one day at a time, this is day 15 the date 02/02/2015 I thank God for the people that have come into my life recently and the support they have given me including dropping everything to rush to my side when I am feeling like I am going to break, the urge to drink is overwhelming at times not to mention all the suppressed emotions and memories that come flooding back as the fog lifts from my mind.

The header “hike for my sobriety” could not be more true, I have reached a point I either quit drinking or alcohol is going to kill me, while at the same time it feels like quitting will do the same I know this not to be true and take things one day at a time as a good friend says to me on a daily basis “God give me the strength to make it one more day”

I hope to find many sponsors be it for gear, funds, or just moral support such as AA meetings along the way and even putting a tablet at the local AA so I can call in via video chat to attend meetings if there is not one to be found off the trail, the main reason for wanting to hike the trail is time away from the normal hustle and stress "people, places, and things” so I can regain my life and literally get to know myself sober, I have been drinking regularly since I was 13 now 36 I honestly have to get to know myself as I don't know who I am or how to live without alcohol.

My story is no different than any other alcoholic the circumstances that got me to this point may differ but the end result is the same.

Why would you want to help me? Well that is for you to decide, all I can do is tell my story and hopefully it reaches people on a level that they see I am not making excuses for my addiction I don’t feel that anyone owes me anything or that I am entitled to help, I am simply working a plan trying to better myself one day at a time and this is what I feel I need to do to make it happen, I do not think this will solve all my problems but I do feel it is a step in the right direction.

I have never been in a situation where I had to rely so heavily on others as I have these past few weeks and asking for this help and putting myself out there like this is very uncomfortable to say the least, I pray regularly giving up free will “For the first time” asking God to show me the path he wants me to follow and the best way to serve his will and this is the direction he seems to be leading me.

So I hope I have kept your interest thus far and I’m sure the next question is, what is your plan? Besides my personal goals I will also be raising funds for The Trail Of Hope Ministries Shelter/Hostel, I believe in what they do and I know first hand they believe in what they are doing as I am a testament of their work and selflessness, raising money to help this non profit shelter is the least I can do after they have taken me in and given me more help and support than a person could ask for, they will also be overseeing my trip and managing donations and sponsorships while I am on the trail.

All my gear will be purchased here in Pa any cash will be kept in the care of Robert & Sandy Freeman of the Trail Of Hope Ministries Shelter and sent out as needed for food and other supplies, I will keep a blog that will be updated every couple days with my progress and pictures, if I do get sponsors any branded gear/clothing will be worn in pictures and on the trail, I will also accommodate any request or conditions sponsors or donors may have for their help.

Other plans while on the trial is going to AA meetings as mentioned, keeping in regular contact with my daughter as she is a driving force in my journey for sobriety along with my own need for inner peace and sanity, creating a better relationship between myself and the lord, and after all that finding time to enjoy nature on a level I may never have the chance to again.

Well I think that about covers it and my hope is that this will not only help me but others like me, one thing I know is alcoholics need time to learn to live again without alcohol and this may turn out to be a viable option vs. sober living houses that have a low success rate.

I hope if nothing else this letter may make you aware of alcoholism that has millions of people around the world in it’s grasp and the journey to recovery is not an easy one but one thing every recovering alcoholic knows is we cannot do it alone.

Thanks for reading.
Sincerely.
Eric

After Thoughts.

There is so much to cover and last night after completing my letter I felt like scraping the whole idea thinking no one is going to support this “well I went to bed and prayed” as I mentioned I feel this is the path God is leading me down but I had doubts that maybe I was subconsciously choosing this on my own, well I prayed and ask God if this was his will and plan for me to give me a sign, I woke this morning with the hike on my mind came downstairs to meet Robert and get ready for work, while I was pouring a cup of coffee explained to him I my plan to scrap the idea and what came next surprised me and I know God had answered my prayer , Robert aka Junker looked at me and with a stern and reassuring tone said don’t worry about everyone else this is your dream and you should follow it, now that seemed to come out of now where as I Robert and I haven’t had many conversations about my idea to hike the trail and I wasn’t sure where he stood on the whole idea , his opinion means a lot to me so in a sense scared to ask afraid I might not like what I heard.

So now I am back on track and I have a wealth of knowledge at my disposal as Robert aka Junker has 15000+ miles of hiking under his belt so he knows what I need which will eliminate unnecessary gear and weight in my pack raising my chances for success on this 2180 mile journey, much of the gear I need will have to be tried on such as boots, sleeping bag, Pack and so on if these things are not comfortable my chances of making a thru hike are diminished greatly, I don’t feel I need top of the line equipment or clothing “I’m not a fashion model for LL Bean” but I know I need quality gear that will stand up to 4-5 months of daily use for a safe and successful trip.

I only need one luxury item and that is a good cell phone so I can keep in contact with my daughter, I plan to give her a map of the whole trail on cork board so she can follow my progress by pegging my location on a regular basis, I also plan to take her with me camping and hiking for a few days when I pass through the area before continuing on, I feel we will both need that time as being away so long is hard on myself and her but if it gives me the chance to better myself it’s a small and worthy sacrifice in the long run, the other reason for the phone is AA meeting and calling my sponsor if I get in a situation where I feel the need to give in to my addiction.

As an alcoholic I take it one day at a time and as a hiker it will be one step at a time, in the end I truly believe this trip will help me get my life back in order and help out a shelter run by some great people doing the Lords work.

If you would like to know more or have questions please feel free to call or email anytime.
(717)3******35
[email protected]
Trail Of Faith Ministries Shelter/Hostel is located 8/10 of a mile East of Rt30 trail head.

Sublime
02-04-2015, 12:25
Power to You EEkster and wishing you strength to overcome your struggles...

John B
02-04-2015, 12:43
So what kind of job do you have that allows for a 4-6 mth vacation? Who will be supporting your daughter while you're busy discovering yourself? Did you first consider trying to adjust to a sober lifestyle while also working and being a daily presence in your kid's life? I can't speak for others, but most of us have to work and save a long, long time to spend a couple of weeks in the woods.

EEKSTER
02-04-2015, 13:03
John B
I work through a temp agency at the moment but work is work, my daughter lives with her mother and grandparents and she is well taken care of also they are supportive of this trip as they have seen me struggle with this problem.

I have tried many different avenues to sober living and they have worked to a point and lead me to my current state which is getting better as I grow.

pickNgrin
02-04-2015, 13:08
Good luck with your sobriety and backpacking trip. One suggestion… don't use an alcohol stove! Seriously.

TJ aka Teej
02-04-2015, 13:09
Don't take this the wrong way, but why don't you save up and pay for your hike yourself?

Lone Wolf
02-04-2015, 13:11
i feel you should wait til next year. work, earn and save your own money for your thru-hike attempt.

Seatbelt
02-04-2015, 13:14
I wish you the very best!

Jeff
02-04-2015, 13:33
Best wishes.... keep in mind there is significant alcohol use on the trail (during town stops).

EEKSTER
02-04-2015, 13:36
Jeff
I was made aware of that and plan to spend little time in towns and will avoid camps where alcohol is present as well, there is no way to get away from alcohol be it here or there so there is no misconception there.

Coffee
02-04-2015, 14:05
Avoid the shelters as much as possible to get away from the party scene. Shelters usually have a water source. Just fill up and dry camp if needed. Don't be restricted to camps with water nearby and you'll leave 90% of hikers behind.

Mags
02-04-2015, 14:12
I have no input on the letter, but this is a good read for you or anyone looking for sponsorship

http://andrewskurka.com/2011/how-to-get-sponsored/

It is four years old at this point, but I don't think Andrew would say anything too different.

I suspect as an unknown person, you may get some free gear and/or food (bars, etc) rather than money.

Good luck with your journey in any case!

And best wishes on your continued sobriety. Awesome.

ChefATLTCT
02-04-2015, 14:19
Just my thoughts, After I decided to thru hike I worked a full time line cook job, five nights a week and then when I got out around midnight, when all others workers went to bar, I went to my second job. I picked up specifically to save money for my trip. From 1 am till 6 am I did home delivery of the Wall Street Journal, for about 250 a week. I managed to save about 6000 and showed up at springer with about 1000 bucks worth of weed.

pickNgrin
02-04-2015, 14:57
I have reached a point I either quit drinking or alcohol is going to kill me […]

Two people very close to me died from it. Getting control of your addiction is not easy, but it can be done. I truly wish you and your family the best of luck for the future.

Slo-go'en
02-04-2015, 15:34
With no gear, no experience, little money, little time to prepare and an ongoing substance abuse problem, I'm sorry to say this plan has little chance of success. Since substance abuse is often coupled with low self esteem, you don't want to set yourself up for failure which would just make things worse. So, let me offer an alternative.

Put off the hike for a few months and start closer to home, say Harpers Ferry. With a May start, you can get away with cheap gear from Walmart and thrift stores for a couple hundred bucks max. You'll be closer to home if you need any support or if things don't go well. The trail will be easier and much milder weather. You'll be well ahead of "the bubble" and the 20 something party crowd, but still have enough other hikers starting out about the same time and place to have their support.

Then, once you prove yourself by staying sober and on the trail for a few months, it will be easier to rise additional funds and get better gear to finish the hike. Good luck to you. You might want to read "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed for inspiration.

illabelle
02-04-2015, 15:42
With no gear, no experience, little money, little time to prepare and an ongoing substance abuse problem, I'm sorry to say this plan has little chance of success. Since substance abuse is often coupled with low self esteem, you don't want to set yourself up for failure which would just make things worse. So, let me offer an alternative.

Put off the hike for a few months and start closer to home, say Harpers Ferry. With a May start, you can get away with cheap gear from Walmart and thrift stores for a couple hundred bucks max. You'll be closer to home if you need any support or if things don't go well. The trail will be easier and much milder weather. You'll be well ahead of "the bubble" and the 20 something party crowd, but still have enough other hikers starting out about the same time and place to have their support.

Then, once you prove yourself by staying sober and on the trail for a few months, it will be easier to rise additional funds and get better gear to finish the hike. Good luck to you. You might want to read "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed for inspiration.

Excellent advice!

mattjv89
02-04-2015, 18:09
Two things come to mind.

One, if I were to donate money I would hope for a more concrete answer regarding the amount you need to complete the hike. The way I read this as presented is "I will spend all the money on my hike and donate to charity if there is any left." Seems like most fundraising letters I've seen have a pretty concrete answer as to how much money will go where.

Second, from several years of work in the addictions field I would have major concerns about the likelihood of this plan to work. It would be presumptuous of me to conclude much about the person you are from a forum post but the numbers alone are enough to raise major red flags. If I understood correctly this is your first venture into sobriety after 23 years of drinking, and you will have at best three months sobriety when starting the trail. Long distance hiking is a mentally taxing experience for many, and you are in the very early stages of developing coping strategies that do not involve picking up a drink. I hear what you are saying about the fact that you are exposed to alcohol everywhere and don't disagree, but starting a NOBO hike in the traditional time frame you are entering an environment saturated with alcohol. You mention staying sober for your daughter but I've heard enough stories and seen enough people go through it to know that love alone does not cure alcoholism in a lasting way. My words are not meant to disparage your journey or minimize your accomplishments in any way, but to me this has too much too fast written all over it. I could not in good conscience fund such a cause.

kayak karl
02-04-2015, 18:24
i feel you should wait til next year. work, earn and save your own money for your thru-hike attempt.
i agree and this will do more for your sobriety then a walk in the woods.
by the way, what does your sponsor think of this hike and have others pay for it?

Starchild
02-04-2015, 18:58
I do wish you well, and this section jumped out at me, and I wish to share my thoughts on it and how it related to my own thru.

EEKSTER (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/57094-EEKSTER)[/COLOR]]I have never been in a situation where I had to rely so heavily on others as I have these past few weeks and asking for this help and putting myself out there like this is very uncomfortable to say the least, I pray regularly giving up free will “For the first time” asking God to show me the path he wants me to follow and the best way to serve his will and this is the direction he seems to be leading me.

This is what the AT as a pilgrimage is all about. It is letting go and trusting God (or inset your favored diety or reasonable alternative). It's stepping out in faith that God will show your way. It is not necessarily depending on a stockpile of money already granted by God through the good intentions and hearts of others (and not necessarily stockpiling your own money). It is seeing the path, trusting it, but also be open to change if the path seems to be changing.

For myself I needed to know that I was cared about by other people. It was not for me that I believed God didn't care, but that I was perhaps in a place where people didn't care. Yes I know there is a bit of a conflict there but anyway, I needed to experience that human caring. And talking to the thru hikers I eventually knew if I was going to experience it anywhere, the AT Thru would be the place.

Instead of asking for donations which I did consider, I asked if they wanted me to email them my progress from the trail (If they were interested in me). I got about 50 people who I regularly emailed from the trail, maybe a long email sent once every 1-2 weeks. It was sometimes very hard to find the time to do this, as the trail is demanding enough, but I did, and was motivated to. I even typed and hiked at the same time for miles. I did it also in a way that they could reply to me, and many did.

The response was overwhelming and unexpected. Not only were many really happy to get those emails, and that added much to their life, I got many offers of help, from care packages, to hostel/motel/inns/BnB's stays to money and gear. They were sent to me at various maildrops which they offered because they wanted to help. It was also great reassurance every time I got them that I was indeed cared for by other people. It brought tears to my eyes many times. It also gave me a greater degree of comfort then I would have had on my own.

I would suggest you might want to consider something similar if you feel if something like writing from the trail is something you may desire to do, not to get stuff, but let them know your experience, that you want to share and have faith that your path will be made clear.

To me also I felt very childlike on the AT (you mentioned being very uncomfortable asking for help and depending on others) , needing help in what is usually basic stuff we supply for ourselves (such as rides into town, taken into people's homes, showers, laundry, people cooking for me). I have to say being a child of the AT is a wonderful thing. The magic of the AT, that the trail will provide, even if I messed up in something, it somehow always is fixed, and normally in overabundance. I believe that is greatly experienced if one is willing to step into a role of a dependent child and not a self sufficient adult, and trust you will be kept on the right path for you.

Damn Yankee
02-04-2015, 19:09
As a recovering addict myself, the first thing you are told is " no major life changes within the first year, no new relationships, not even taking care of a plant as you will need to concentrate on your recovery. I would wait a year, take care of yourself, train and start next year.

Shutterbug
02-04-2015, 19:39
Hello Everyone.
I am planning a northbound through hike and below I will post the letter I plan to send out to potential sponsors and other groups, take a look post your thoughts but please be kind, I used the **** symbol in place of names at the moment it will all be updated when the time is right.

Thanks for your time!
Eric

Dear Friends,

The header “hike for my sanity & sobriety” could not be more true, I have reached a point I either quit drinking or alcohol is going to kill me, while at the same time it feels like quitting will do the same I know this not to be true and take things one day at a time as a good friend says to me on a daily basis “God give me the strength to make it one more day”

All my gear will be purchased here in Pa any cash will be kept in the care of ************* of the Trail Of Hope Ministries Shelter and sent out as needed for food and other supplies, I will keep a blog that will be updated every couple days with my progress and pictures, if I do get sponsors any branded gear/clothing will be worn in pictures and on the trail, I will also accommodate any request or conditions sponsors or donors may have for their help.

Thanks for reading.
Sincerely.
Eric

After Thoughts.

There is so much to cover and last night after completing my letter I felt like scraping the whole idea thinking no one is going to support this “well I went to bed and prayed” as I mentioned I feel this is the path God is leading me down but I had doubts that maybe I was subconsciously choosing this on my own, well I prayed and ask God if this was his will and plan for me to give me a sign, I woke this morning with the hike on my mind came downstairs to meet ****** and get ready for work, while I was pouring a cup of coffee explained to him I my plan to scrap the idea and what came next surprised me and I know God had answered my prayer , ****** looked at me and with a stern and reassuring tone said don’t worry about everyone else this is your dream and you should follow it, now that seemed to come out of now where as I Robert and I haven’t had many conversations about my idea to hike the trail and I wasn’t sure where he stood on the whole idea , his opinion means a lot to me so in a sense scared to ask afraid I might not like what I heard.

So now I am back on track and I have a wealth of knowledge at my disposal as ******* has 15000+ miles of hiking under his belt so he knows what I need which will eliminate unnecessary gear and weight in my pack raising my chances for success on this 2180 mile journey, much of the gear I need will have to be tried on such as boots, sleeping bag, Pack and so on if these things are not comfortable my chances of making a thru hike are diminished greatly, I don’t feel I need top of the line equipment or clothing “I’m not a fashion model for LL Bean” but I know I need quality gear that will stand up to 4-5 months of daily use for a safe and successful trip.

I only need one luxury item and that is a good cell phone so I can keep in contact with my daughter, I plan to give her a map of the whole trail on cork board so she can follow my progress by pegging my location on a regular basis, I also plan to take her with me camping and hiking for a few days when I pass through the area before continuing on, I feel we will both need that time as being away so long is hard on myself and her but if it gives me the chance to better myself it’s a small and worthy sacrifice in the long run, the pther reason for the phone is AA meeting and calling my sponsor if I get in a situation where I feel the need to give in to my addiction.

(717)3******35
Eric*******@ymail.com

Eric, I am responding strictly to the fund raising aspect of your post. I get several request for sponsorship this time of year -- college kids are trying to raise funds for their summer activities.

You didn't say who you plan to send the letter to. You addressed it to "friends." You will have more success if you make it a personal letter addressed to a specific person. In the first part of the letter, mention how you know the person. To have any chance of success, you have to establish some connection.

I also suggest that you shorten the letter. Most potential donors won't read more than one page - large type

I wish you well.

MuddyWaters
02-04-2015, 20:42
I wish you the best.
But if you want to quit smoking, drinking, or smoking dope, a 6 month travelling party isnt the best way.

What can turn your life around, is manning up to resposibilities, a job, your kid, and breaking ties with the kind of people that are bad for you. That might mean more education.

EEKSTER
02-04-2015, 22:39
Starchild
Thanks for the input it made my day to be honest.

Shutterbug
your advice is greatly appreciated and at the moment I don't know if I will send this out at all, just an idea at the moment.

Dogwood
02-04-2015, 22:56
12 Step programs defintely are not effective for everyone. Actually, they work for long term sobriety in less than 10 % of those involved with 12 Step Programs. It may not be you who is defective in that you are somehow not effectively working the steps. The Steps simply might not effectively work for you despite the often 12 Step mantra, "the program works if you work it" when it isn't working for you.

I strongly advise you expand and consider other possibilities beyond 12 Steps programs that could possibly work better for you. Here's what helped me. https://rational.org/index.php?id=1

Dogwood
02-04-2015, 23:03
Jeff
I was made aware of that and plan to spend little time in towns and will avoid camps where alcohol is present as well....

You will not get away from both legal and illicit mind altering substances on the AT. It may give you time to meditate upon and enlist more empowereing changes though.

Weefee
02-04-2015, 23:57
Congratulations on 17 days!! Why not start with a Section hike from Springer to Fontana? It will take you about 2 weeks and give you and understanding of what others are trying to tell you. With some borrowed gear you could do this for about $200.

Frye
02-05-2015, 08:40
Hello Everyone.

Thanks for your time!
Eric

Dear Friends,

Thanks for reading.
Sincerely.
Eric

After Thoughts.

(717)3******35
Eric*******@ymail.com

I agree with a few others. Hold off.

I know you want to sort your life out and help others while you're at it but I don't think this is the way. You have what? 18 days? The crud isn't even out of your system yet, you're just moving to fast. I hate to sound pessimistic but you WILL find yourself in a situation that you really don't want to be in and chances are you don't have the tools needed to work your way out. Your plan, whether you know it or not, is to add stress on top of stress and that's not a good recipe. Take a year off, get your head on straight, and plan this out responsibly. Don't be reckless, it's really no different then how you were living prior to drying out.

Rocket Jones
02-05-2015, 10:35
If you do wait, I'd also suggest making frequent day hikes, overnighters, and the occasional longer hike. This will give you an idea of what works for you and if you really want to do it before committing completely.

And keep coming around here. Lots to learn and discover.

Hot Flash
02-05-2015, 10:44
Show some self-sufficiency and save up to pay for your own hike. It will mean more to you if you actually WORK for it rather than have it handed to you. That charitable money could go for far more worthwhile causes than to simply give you a several-month-long free vacation.

Personally, I'd be ashamed to ask anyone else to pay for my hike.

Bronk
02-05-2015, 13:51
People with substance abuse problems are notoriously unreliable. People would be pretty foolish to invest their money in an adventure like this. Chance of success? About 7%. That is the success rate for people who join AA. And that is also the success rate for people who try to quit on their own.

Coffee
02-05-2015, 14:16
Someone might have mentioned this already but perhaps a SOBO thru hike would make more sense? There would be more time between now and the start (probably early July) to prepare financially and recovery would be further along. Also, there will likely be far less partying going SOBO due to fewer hikers. Eventually NOBOs will be encountered on the trail but their numbers will have dwindled and the hard core party crowd may have dropped out by then. Just a thought.

Blissful
02-05-2015, 15:36
Some great advice here. I have a family member with this, he still fights it. Praying you overcome the addiction so you can help others overcome.

RED-DOG
02-05-2015, 15:54
Why you asking others to finance something that most can't afford to do themselves ? i agree with many others WAIT a year or two until you can finance yourself then go have a blast, good luck with your sobriety.

canoe
02-05-2015, 17:59
Ok Eric, here is my offer. You really need to wait a year. As some have stated this hike will only add to the stress of trying to get straight. If you will wait a year, stay clean, get a job and save for your trip, I will buy your three bigs for you. Tent, pack,and bag. We will meet at REI and I will purchase for these things. Can you do this?

Frye
02-05-2015, 19:31
People with substance abuse problems are notoriously unreliable. People would be pretty foolish to invest their money in an adventure like this. Chance of success? About 7%. That is the success rate for people who join AA. And that is also the success rate for people who try to quit on their own.

"Don't sugarcoat it like that, Kid. Tell her straight."

Frye
02-05-2015, 19:35
"Don'tsugarcoatit like that, Kid. Tellher straight."

Ugh, teaches me for just hitting copy and paste instead of typing the damn quote out.

TJ aka Teej
02-05-2015, 20:49
You don't have the gear.
You don't have the money.
You don't have backpacking experience.
You don't have an answer to the question "why don't you save up and pay for it yourself?".
I hope you consider canoe's offer above.

Toolshed
02-05-2015, 21:31
I am cynical and pragmatic. This isn't meant to be an attack on you, but on anyone who shirks their responsibilities, and fails to provide support for ex-wife and daughter, blames alcoholism for all their woes and then sends out a letter seeking money for some escapism..... Take care of your responsibilities and man up on the sobriety. BTW....Where is your support group after you hike a 15 mile day and get to a shelter with a bunch of college kids and a couple of cold 12-packs or a bottle of jack?
I think you'll be a better man for it....:)

July
02-05-2015, 21:57
Ok Eric, here is my offer. You really need to wait a year. As some have stated this hike will only add to the stress of trying to get straight. If you will wait a year, stay clean, get a job and save for your trip, I will buy your three bigs for you. Tent, pack,and bag. We will meet at REI and I will purchase for these things. Can you do this?

Canoe this is a very generous and compassionate offer, kudos to you. Good advice coupled with online trail magic.

Damn Yankee
02-06-2015, 10:07
I would imagine that if you hold off, show progress in your sobriety and save up enough money to fund your hike, more people would be willing to help out with gear than to dish out money. Something my dad had always told me was" Pay your rent and your bills, people are more happy to help with food than to pay your bills" turn that into support your hike and people will help with new or used equipment. I think what Canoe suggested is reasonable and I to would be more willing to help with some used gear at that point. In the meantime, take care of yourself and your family, get your finances in order and hit the trail. Good luck to you.

Hot Flash
02-06-2015, 13:57
Meanwhile, thousands of people who haven't messed up their lives, and who don't shirk their parental responsibilities aren't getting offers of free gear just for doing what every responsible adult is supposed to do and for which they don't expect or ask for any reward or acclaim.

Because it's what they're supposed to do.

canoe
02-06-2015, 20:05
meanwhile, thousands of people who haven't messed up their lives, and who don't shirk their parental responsibilities aren't getting offers of free gear just for doing what every responsible adult is supposed to do and for which they don't expect or ask for any reward or acclaim.

because it's what they're supposed to do. yep..............

shelb
02-06-2015, 21:23
You have written a very conscientious letter with many heart-tugging details. If you are interested in having it "grammar-edited," PM me with an attachment. (I teach high school and college English). This could add a bit more credibility to your appeal, depending on whom you send the letter.

thestin
02-06-2015, 21:34
I would recommend you go to the library and see if you can find a copy of "Me and the Boy" by Paul Hemphill. Mr. Hemphill tried to beat his drinking problem by hiking the AT with his son. After he was forced to abandon his trek due to injury he came home to Atlanta and fell back into drinking. You will find the things that make you want to drink will follow you into the woods.

Regular meetings and a strong sponsor are much better ideas than going for a 6 month hike.

Rolex
02-07-2015, 09:13

I'll split the cost for Canoe and throw in the mix of buying your boots/shoes if you do exactly as he says and one more thing for me.

250 honest miles on trails through that year. That'll get your head together. overnights, weekends, etc. Get out and hike. I can't do the AT because of commitments though I would like to yet but I spend a LOT of time on some local trail or in some local woods. You don't need that Catalyst pack, Marmot bag, Hilleberg tent, and fancy shoes yet.
JUST GO DO IT! Don't ask for someone to help you. If I see you out there struggling, I'm more apt to help instead of the send me money, stuff, etc.
Things to learn.
How a tent can blow away the minute you turn your back if not staked.
How mice and chipmunks will seemingly chew through cast iron to get your poptart.
Wet Socks makes godawful blisters.
Burning something in a titanium or aluminum pot with only a half liter of water left for another 20 miles makes for a unique tasting dinner that night.
A wet down sleeping bag in 45 degree weather can be one of the most miserable nights you ever had.
The fun of tripping over a Tent line in the rush to the woods in the midnight for a sudden urge.

Oh yeah, that kid with mom. Friend, that's the most important thing you ought to be thinking about.

(Rolex gets off high horse and steps down off soapbox.)

DistantDreamer
02-07-2015, 09:33
I am currently working at a job I dislike for the next 11 months to save up enough money to attempt to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail again. I switched from a job I liked but paid much less, to this far more labor intensive job that pays much more simply because we do not want to wait until 2017 to go, we decided to go back in 2016. We ( my girlfriend and I ) have to save enough for food, lodging, travel fees, and enough to pay our rent while we are gone, all the bills set on auto-pay, etc.
My partner and I have no kids so we are ahead of the game in terms of freedom and speed to save up money to go. We have all of the gear we need from 2012, when we attempted to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail but were forced to quit due to a severe foot injury I suffered. We made it over 800 miles and learned a lot. My partner has not blamed me but I have felt guilt for robbing her of her trip but she did not want to leave me and hike alone because she knew how much it would have hurt me mentally.

We are heading back to the Hiker Hostel in 2016 and giving it another shot. While we failed, we did learn a tremendous amount regarding hiking and hiking has been part of the healing process I went through after the foot injury. I am not here to judge the OP as he only wanted an assessment of his letter. I am firm believer that failure teaches success. My gut says the OP has a good chance to fail, but in failure much can be learned.

I am often disturbed by people who use Kickstarters, GoFundMe, and various other methods to get others to fund their hikes. I do not know if it is the way people are raised but I simply cannot understand the thought process in asking someone else to fund a possible 6-8 month journey for free. First of all, how can they enjoy the trip with the guilt that they did not earn the right to go themselves through hard work? To me, that is a key part of the ability to enjoy the trip. The Appalachian Trail is about independence and freedom - how can someone enjoy it fully when they are completely dependent on others to fund it? Who is raising their kids to be OK with asking for something like this without shame? What is the source of this emerging entitled attitude that seems to be spreading? It is happening just in the hiking community, or is it spreading to everything?

That said, I am not in the position to judge anyone. If the OP can get people to pay for his trip why not give it a shot. We found out in 2012 that the Appalachian Trail is a great teacher that can teach you quickly about yourself and others, but the lessons can be positive or negative, bitter or sweet. That to me is the joy of the trail and it teaches you to roll with the changes. If you are rigid you will break, you need to flow like water and not be hard like stone.

Frye
02-07-2015, 09:46
I'll split the cost for Canoe and throw in the mix of buying your boots/shoes if you do exactly as he says and one more thing for me.

250 honest miles on trails through that year. That'll get your head together. overnights, weekends, etc. Get out and hike. I can't do the AT because of commitments though I would like to yet but I spend a LOT of time on some local trail or in some local woods. You don't need that Catalyst pack, Marmot bag, Hilleberg tent, and fancy shoes yet.
JUST GO DO IT! Don't ask for someone to help you. If I see you out there struggling, I'm more apt to help instead of the send me money, stuff, etc.
Things to learn.
How a tent can blow away the minute you turn your back if not staked.
How mice and chipmunks will seemingly chew through cast iron to get your poptart.
Wet Socks makes godawful blisters.
Burning something in a titanium or aluminum pot with only a half liter of water left for another 20 miles makes for a unique tasting dinner that night.
A wet down sleeping bag in 45 degree weather can be one of the most miserable nights you ever had.
The fun of tripping over a Tent line in the rush to the woods in the midnight for a sudden urge.

Oh yeah, that kid with mom. Friend, that's the most important thing you ought to be thinking about.

(Rolex gets off high horse and steps down off soapbox.)

Take this for what it's worth,

I really wish those of you who are making these type of offers would just stop. It's not a good idea. Rewarding someone for doing what they're supposed to be doing is not a reward, you are just setting a bad precedent. Learning personal responsibility and doing the damn thing is the most proven method for staying clean, buying sobriety or rewarding it only creates more problems for the addict down the road. Addicts dealing with the growing pains of early recovery are a lot like children, and those of you who are parents know that buying your children off does not instill the values needed to become a responsible adult. (Though it does on occasion provide a quiet evening. =D )

Besides, how would you know he's stayed the course? The honor system? In that case I may have a bridge to sell you...

I wish this man the best, but his current plans and the offers made thus far will only hinder his progress. He needs to get a job and help feed his children, he'll feel a lot better about himself then he would climbing a few mountains...

Finally, I would like to add that I'm not just spouting BS. Though I'm not an addict myself I do have a clinical background in addictions. Typically I know more about the individual then that individual knows about himself. At a few weeks clean you're not even going to know which way is north, but 99% of those suffering this malady still think they know the proper direction to go. If he really wants to stop drinking, it's time to grow up.

q-tip
02-07-2015, 10:23
I am sober thirty years, this is insane. Get sober, get stable, build a foundation. I walked 1,000+ miles in 2010. It did nothing for my sobriety but wonders for my life. When you can responsibly and safely afford the AT, then go. This whole idea is simply irresponsible and insane.

Sailor (The other one)
02-07-2015, 10:44
“Instant gratification takes too long.” Carrie Fisher, author of Wishful Drinking

The last thing newly recovering people want to hear is “wait.” We want it all, we want it now, and we don’t want to “work it” to get it.

“i feel you should wait til next year. Work, earn and save your own money for your thru-hike attempt.”

“As a recovering addict myself, the first thing you are told is " no major life changes within the first year, no new relationships, not even taking care of a plant as you will need to concentrate on your recovery. I would wait a year, take care of yourself, train and start next year.”

“If you do wait, I'd also suggest making frequent day hikes, overnighters, and the occasional longer hike. This will give you an idea of what works for you and if you really want to do it before committing completely.”

“Finally, I would like to add that I'm not just spouting BS. Though I'm not an addict myself I do have a clinical background in addictions. Typically I know more about the individual then that individual knows about himself. At a few weeks clean you're not even going to know which way is north, but 99% of those suffering this malady still think they know the proper direction to go. If he really wants to stop drinking, it's time to grow up.”

All good advice. I asked my first sponsor “What is sobriety anyway?” and he said, “Growing up.”

We need to make recovery as all consuming as our drinking and using. 12 Step program success comes from working the steps. That takes working with a sponsor and a bunch of time. You’ve got less than a month. That’s way too soon to think the steps are defective for you. Wait a year, go to tons of meetings, find a sponsor, work the steps, save your money. Turn recovery into your lifestyle.

Find a sponsor who has what you want. There are lots of clean and sober hikers in 12 Step programs. When I first got sober, those were the people I hiked and camped with. Want to know how to stay sober hiking? Get with someone who has experience staying sober hiking.

If you do not put your recovery first, if you do not clean up your own act, you will never be able to take care of your responsibilities, including your daughter and her mother, or anything else a grown up man needs to do.

Good luck.

canoe
02-07-2015, 11:39
Take this for what it's worth,

I really wish those of you who are making these type of offers would just stop. It's not a good idea. Rewarding someone for doing what they're supposed to be doing is not a reward, you are just setting a bad precedent. Learning personal responsibility and doing the damn thing is the most proven method for staying clean, buying sobriety or rewarding it only creates more problems for the addict down the road. Addicts dealing with the growing pains of early recovery are a lot like children, and those of you who are parents know that buying your children off does not instill the values needed to become a responsible adult. (Though it does on occasion provide a quiet evening. =D )

Besides, how would you know he's stayed the course? The honor system? In that case I may have a bridge to sell you...

I wish this man the best, but his current plans and the offers made thus far will only hinder his progress. He needs to get a job and help feed his children, he'll feel a lot better about himself then he would climbing a few mountains...

Finally, I would like to add that I'm not just spouting BS. Though I'm not an addict myself I do have a clinical background in addictions. Typically I know more about the individual then that individual knows about himself. At a few weeks clean you're not even going to know which way is north, but 99% of those suffering this malady still think they know the proper direction to go. If he really wants to stop drinking, it's time to grow up.

Now you have some good points, but did you really read my offer??? And to how would I know if he is clean, saved money got a job etc one phone call to his sponsor will take care of that...and if he did not go to AA then a call to what ever organization he attaches himself to. My offer was not open ended but conditional.
Do you really believe your last paragraph. You gave me a good laugh this morning. You might know a lot about how addictions work but that part about knowing more about the individual than the individual does thats just too much.

Frye
02-07-2015, 12:14
It's just a fact, but a hard pill for some to swallow. (Ha!)

I spent 11 years treating addicts and 2 years now in research. I know those in the 12 step fellowships hate hearing this but I have a better grip on the subject then they ever will.

But by all means, go ahead and call his 'sponsor', just remember that ones program and support network in the end are only a reflection of the person themselves. Don't kid yourself into thinking you can tell the difference. Your offer is irresponsible. End of story.

Frye
02-07-2015, 12:29
Ugh, your whole reply made me completely forget the point I was making to begin with. You blinded me by focusing in on the least important of my statements.

In the end, no matter if he stayed clean or not, rewarding the behavior is not the key to recovery. You're not potty training a dog, giving him treats is not the answer. Let's not beat around the bush, he's been a deadbeat, so how is offering him free stuff the answer? Don't say he's earning it by doing what he should do, no one should be paid for that, they should just want to do it. What's going to happen in year two when no one is there to hand him a free tent? That's no way to go through life, he'd be better off just drinking.

To the OP, I know you will probably find my comments offensive and I'm truly sorry if you do. I hope you understand or will one day understand that I'm not being a jerk, though I'd much rather you hate me then drink yourself to death. Best wishes and if you ever want to chat you can hit me up on PM.

Hot Flash
02-07-2015, 13:57
If you have to be paid to do the right thing, you're not doing the right thing.

canoe
02-07-2015, 15:26
It's just a fact, but a hard pill for some to swallow. (Ha!)

I spent 11 years treating addicts and 2 years now in research. I know those in the 12 step fellowships hate hearing this but I have a better grip on the subject then they ever will.

But by all means, go ahead and call his 'sponsor', just remember that ones program and support network in the end are only a reflection of the person themselves. Don't kid yourself into thinking you can tell the difference. Your offer is irresponsible. End of story. It is the end of YOUR story. Not mine or his.

canoe
02-07-2015, 15:33
Ugh, your whole reply made me completely forget the point I was making to begin with. You blinded me by focusing in on the least important of my statements.

In the end, no matter if he stayed clean or not, rewarding the behavior is not the key to recovery. You're not potty training a dog, giving him treats is not the answer. Let's not beat around the bush, he's been a deadbeat, so how is offering him free stuff the answer? Don't say he's earning it by doing what he should do, no one should be paid for that, they should just want to do it. What's going to happen in year two when no one is there to hand him a free tent? That's no way to go through life, he'd be better off just drinking.

To the OP, I know you will probably find my comments offensive and I'm truly sorry if you do. I hope you understand or will one day understand that I'm not being a jerk, though I'd much rather you hate me then drink yourself to death. Best wishes and if you ever want to chat you can hit me up on PM.
You can't earn mercy and my offer is not THE answer. Just generosity. Why do you and others think you have the right to question another's generosity. Why do you think you have the right to question who my generosity. I don't know this person and neither do you. And by the way you are not the only one who has an education or experience and that is the end to that story.

Frye
02-07-2015, 16:43
You can't earn mercy and my offer is not THE answer. Just generosity. Why do you and others think you have the right to question another's generosity. Why do you think you have the right to question who my generosity. I don't know this person and neither do you. And by the way you are not the only one who has an education or experience and that is the end to that story.

What does generosity and mercy have to do with any of this? I think you're missing the point.

Besides, what gives you the right to question my questioning?!? =D

I'm think you're getting a little upset and that was never my intention. I mean well. My apologies.

Shouldn't we be discussing the AT? Dammit!

elmotoots
02-07-2015, 16:57

Cold hard truth is sometimes, a hard pill to swallow. But you speak it very clearly.

I quit being a drunk because I wanted to. It will never rule me again.

I quit smoking cold turkey, because my kids asked me to.

Taking a hike will not make the OP want to do anything, If that were true he could just walk around the block.

To the OP I hope you get sober and stay that way, good luck with your life.

canoe
02-07-2015, 17:19
What does generosity and mercy have to do with any of this? I think you're missing the point.

Besides, what gives you the right to question my questioning?!? =D

I'm think you're getting a little upset and that was never my intention. I mean well. My apologies.

Shouldn't we be discussing the AT? Dammit!
You are just too funny

James GAME2009
02-07-2015, 23:07
You have written a very conscientious letter with many heart-tugging details. If you are interested in having it "grammar-edited," PM me with an attachment. (I teach high school and college English). This could add a bit more credibility to your appeal, depending on whom you send the letter.

Hmm... I hope you teach better than you write. No ill will intended but an offer to correct one's grammar should at least be grammatically correct.

putts
02-08-2015, 01:31
I am not here to judge the OP as he only wanted an assessment of his letter.

I have my doubts that's all he wanted. He was hoping people here would buy in to his fundraiser and donate. There are better places to have people assess written proposals than a backpacking forum, unless maybe you are fact-checking. His motivation wasn't to have his paper proof read. it was a solicitation for a free hike disguised as a solicitation for assessment of a solicitation for a free hike. He sure didn't dissapoint by forgeting to promise some undisclosed portion of donation to charity. That's a classic.

By the way, please let me know if I made any grammatical or spelling errors in this post, and send me money for my hike next year. I'll put some of it in that change box for donations at McDonald's.

TJ aka Teej
02-08-2015, 02:02
Let's hold off on any more comments until the OP returns with a response.
He hasn't logged on since his last post in this thread.

EEKSTER
02-08-2015, 16:02
I have my doubts that's all he wanted. He was hoping people here would buy in to his fundraiser and donate. There are better places to have people assess written proposals than a backpacking forum, unless maybe you are fact-checking. His motivation wasn't to have his paper proof read. it was a solicitation for a free hike disguised as a solicitation for assessment of a solicitation for a free hike. He sure didn't dissapoint by forgeting to promise some undisclosed portion of donation to charity. That's a classic.

I honestly just wanted a review on the letter, I have or had no intentions or expectations of donations from this site or it's members, if that was my intent I would simply have asked or come up with something better than this.

illabelle
02-08-2015, 16:19
I honestly just wanted a review on the letter, I have or had no intentions or expectations of donations from this site or it's members, if that was my intent I would simply have asked or come up with something better than this.

Eekster, thank for responding back to us. As I remember, the comments coming into this thread were mostly supportive of your goal of becoming and staying alcohol-free, though there were and still are strong reservations about using the AT for that purpose. More recently there have been several comments that were more cynical. Please don't take them personally - there have been plenty of people who HAVE gotten on WB with the intent of asking for money, plenty of people who have made a few comments on WB with a "burning desire" to thru-hike and then they never show up again. Sort through and find the comments that are helpful to you - ignore the rest. Best of luck to you!

putts
02-08-2015, 18:12

EEKSTER,

First off, my appologies, sincerely. I have not walked in your shoes, nor do I know your intentions. One of the many things that the trail provided for me was a greater faith in the goodness of humanity and, well, maybe I need to get back out there for a refresher.

Second, thank you for responding. Soon after I posted, I wished I hadn't but wanted to respect Teej's request and just let it go. Truth is you didn't ask for more than an assessment of your proposal. We all know what they say about assumptions.

Third, you are fighting an admirable battle. The thing that I felt bad about was that I have been the support for someone fighting the same battle you are, and even tried to get him to spend a few hundred miles on the trail with me because I thought it would help. I do think it can, but to be honest, I think if he tried to do it alone it would be disasterous. That being said, I know him like a brother and don't know you at all. I pictured him coming to a road crossing and being handed an ice cold beer and not being able to fend off his demons without support of someone who loves him being right there.

My cynical response was directed at your post but stemmed from factors that had nothing to do with it, and wasn't at all helpful to you. So again, I apologize and truly do wish you the best of luck. I hope you make it to Maine and celebrate with a Moxie and a lobster roll.

EEKSTER
02-08-2015, 18:35
I don't take anything personal that is posted on a forum, there is a herd mentality "be it a need to fit in or gain another members approval" whatever the case once one negative comment is left without a positive to counter the rest will follow suit, ask any moderator on any forum.

Plus people assume they know something about a person they have never met or conversed with over few paragraphs.

Second Hand
02-08-2015, 19:08
EEKSTER,
My father is a recovered alcoholic. Sober 25 years now. Growing up and watching him struggle I can relate to your struggle. For my father, the thought of losing my brother and I was what kept him sober. After another long night of not coming home, my mother kicked him out and had the divorce papers signed. The reality of losing his family set in and he checked himself into rehab the next day (For alcohol and other substances). 25 years later he is my best friend and biggest role-model. The AT aside, I wish you luck and well being in you're sobriety and in your relationship with your daughter.

Traveler
02-09-2015, 07:11
I don't take anything personal that is posted on a forum, there is a herd mentality "be it a need to fit in or gain another members approval" whatever the case once one negative comment is left without a positive to counter the rest will follow suit, ask any moderator on any forum.

Plus people assume they know something about a person they have never met or conversed with over few paragraphs.

Some thoughts....

You asked for feedback, you got some. Some were nicely stated and floated around issues, others were more brusk and to the point. My suggestion if you are serious about this AT stuff, listen to the latter.

That you see some of these comments as "negative" translates into your not being ready for a change of life at this level of magnitude. There has been nothing negative here, mostly you have gotten some very good advice (a lot of this from folks having lived through what you are going through), and a lot of it stated in a very matter-of-fact manner that can appear negative.

I won't go into the issue of asking others to fund your journey, earning your gear and time to do this is up to you. Either you will, or you won't, thats an issue for you to resolve. You may want to consider translating sobriety mile markers as trail challenges. A month of sobriety can equal a 30 mile of trail walking (AT or other hikes) for example. This gets you more prepared, keeps you close to your program and sponsor, and allows you to work and earn your way.

Jumping into a 6 month journey of this magnitude in your current circumstances is ill advised, as has been noted by the majority of posters. There are a number of program reasons you should consider, however the main issue remains yours.... Are you running from something, or running to something.

Good luck.

EEKSTER
02-09-2015, 17:59
Well I am not running from anything possible to something but time will tell, far as alcohol on the trail makes no difference to me I turn on the Tv there are ads I walk to work there are several bars along the way, so alcohol is everywhere my choice not to drink will stand here or there, I just wanted to get out clear my head and get back to the basics and I believe it will happen one way or the other.

Frye
02-09-2015, 20:10
Well I am not running from anything possible to something but time will tell, far as alcohol on the trail makes no difference to me I turn on the Tv there are ads I walk to work there are several bars along the way, so alcohol is everywhere my choice not to drink will stand here or there, I just wanted to get out clear my head and get back to the basics and I believe it will happen one way or the other.

That's all fine and good, but ads on TV are not the same as running into someone like myself. Though I've been involved in addictions for a long time that doesn't stop me from offering the friendly sort at a shelter a sip of Makers, it's not my job to walk on eggshells because someone may have indulged to much. What would you do if upon arriving at the shelter we were all having a jolly old time on some local Virginia shine? I don't and won't change my routines because you're an addict, but you do have to change your routines if you want to have any hope of succeeding. I know it sucks, but somethings are just not fair. If you want to quit smoking then you don't hang out at the ashtray, and if you want to quit drinking you shouldn't place yourself around a bunch of folks who enjoy a stiff drink. Down the road that may change, but you have to travel down the road a bit to get there.

Disclaimer; I'm not saying we all drink, but it would be a fantasy to pretend like it's not a popular pastime on the trail.

Best of luck,
Frye

rickb
02-09-2015, 20:50
If you were to visit "gofundme.com" you would find scores-- perhaps hundreds-- of people asking for money to fund thier the hikes. Visit the site the do a search on "Appalachian Trail"

I think that is nuts, but clearly a whole lot of people don't.

As for the letter, not so sure how effective it would be. Probably depends on your audience. Seems like those getting the he most money on gofundme have a cute pet that needs vet bills, but AT hikers are getting a bunch of money too.

rickb
02-09-2015, 21:01
i posted a number of links to various gofundme AT appeals, but then deleted them.

People can find their own if they have an interest.

Some are pretty whacked.

EEKSTER
02-09-2015, 23:08
I am only looking for local sponsors this way they can meet me and see the shelter/hostel and meet the people that run it., that is why I only asked for a review of the letter.

EEKSTER
02-09-2015, 23:09
Sorry for that run on it's late, have a good evening all.

TJ aka Teej
02-10-2015, 00:07
Eekster, why not just save up and pay for your hike yourself?

EEKSTER
02-10-2015, 07:29
TJ I am doing that as well along with donated gear from a few people, Another avenue I am looking at at is donations for the shelter per mile I hike my goal along with my personal quest is to help the shelter out that helped me so much.

I am working all angles to try and get this done, I could explain better of the whole situation but I don't want to put any more of my personal business out there than I already have.

Frye
02-10-2015, 09:14
Eekster, why not just save up and pay for your hike yourself?

TJ I am doing that as well...

I hope to find many sponsors be it for gear, funds...

I don't think you know what's going on.

The majority of us pay for our hikes ourselves, it sounds to me like you're just trying to find an easier way. Instead of this foolish idea of yours why not take what little cash you're earning and spend some time with your daughter, I'm quite sure she'll enjoy that more then a damn phone call every so often. Stop skirting your responsibilities and do the right thing, we need good fathers in the world, not another drunk doing things his way. If you have a kid then you need to earn the right to run off for 5 months in the pursuit of adventure, just not drinking isn't enough. Sort your life out because right now you're heading straight to the bar.

I don't know why I ever even posted in this thread to begin with, I already knew the outcome.

EEKSTER
02-10-2015, 11:19
Nice to know there are so many Drug and Alcohol counselors on this site, the knowledge of what a recovering addict should or shouldn't do/needs or doesn't need for his/her recovery challenges that of any rehab/consoling I have seen thus far.

Frye
02-10-2015, 11:49
I hope everything works out for you.

For the reasons I explained in the 'How light can you go' thread it's in my best interest to stop replying to this. I'm only getting annoyed.

Seriously though, I hope you bet the odds.

Frye
02-10-2015, 11:49
Opps, Beat* the odds.

EEKSTER
02-10-2015, 12:04
Alcohol is everywhere, turn on the TV there are commercials, driving to work I pass neon signs for distributors and bars, walk to the store pass the bar, hell visiting friends fridge is full and so on.

Point is no matter where I go what I do be it the trail or going to work alcohol is there, it's my choice to drink or not and if I want it be it here or there I can get it, I am not trying to run from alcohol I just feel I need time to get back to the basics and learn myself sober and that is what the letter says.

mattjv89
02-10-2015, 12:33
Seems like this discussion is quickly reaching an impasse. You requested feedback and don't appear to agree with the vast majority of what was given. It seems very unlikely that anyone is going to convince you this is a risky plan, or that you are going to convince anyone else it is a good plan. Maybe it's time to agree to disagree before this becomes the next 15 page debacle.

Mags
02-10-2015, 13:22
Maybe it's time to agree to disagree before this becomes the next 15 page debacle.

Good advice.

Some interesting things have been said. Other good discussion has been had.

Time to call it good.