PDA

View Full Version : What kind of socks to hike in?

mattydt20
10-31-2005, 08:14
The last thing I have to pick up on my gearlist is a couple pairs of socks. There are many different styles and thicknesses to choose from. What are your suggestions? Thicker Thorlo style socks? Thinner wicking socks?

orangebug
10-31-2005, 08:20
Everyone has their personal favorites, and I suspect it is much like asking favorite underwear.

Personally, I 'like Smartwool Hikers for thickness and lack of blisters.

Peaks
10-31-2005, 08:22
If you talk with the boot experts, they recommend a quality hiking sock. There are several brands. A natural fiber sock, such as Smartwool will stink much less then a synthetic such as Ultramax.

There are mixed opinions on liners. Some advocate them. Others think they are not needed with a quality hiking sock. My opinion is that they can't hurt, and may help reduce blisters. Therefore, use them. Plus if your feet swell or shoe size starts to increase you can omit them and the boot will not feel as tight. That's assuming that you wore liners when you got fitted for the boots initially.

Don't wear socks that are getting worn out.

fiddlehead
10-31-2005, 08:22
That is up to you! Most people wear wicking socks (liners) because their feet sweat a lot. Others wear wool because they feel they need the cusion. Personally, I like fleece sox when it's cold and thin nylon socks when it's not. If you are going to wear thick ones, you should make sure you have plenty of room in your shoes. Most people get blisters and sore feet from their shoes not fitting properly. (or carrying too much weight) I'd keep it simple and take 2 pr. (or 3 if you can carry the weight) of fleece sox (cold weather) or 2 nylon and 1 fleece (i always keep one pr. of fleece dry and fairly clean for sleeping)

Marta
10-31-2005, 08:29
Maybe you could get a pair of whatever you're thinking of and test them out on weekend and longer hikes before you get any more socks?

I go with thin nylon socks because they are easy to rinse and dry every day. But I also wear running shoes instead of boots. So it all depends...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-31-2005, 08:30
I like SmartWool with a thin nylon liner for colder weather and two pairs of thin nylon for warm weather. The male dino does SmartWool alone year round.

Mouse
10-31-2005, 09:18
Midweight Smartwools worked nicely for my thruhike. I started with liners under them but found those tended to bunch under my toes and cause problems, so sent the liners home.

LIhikers
10-31-2005, 09:32
I like to hike in a thick sock that helps cushion my steps.

the goat
10-31-2005, 09:38
smart wool or bridgedale, the thicker the better.

Whistler
10-31-2005, 09:55
When I wore boots, it was Smartwool Light Hikers, no liners.

Having transferred to shoes, with no plans to go back, I like thin Smartwools. The Adrenaline, RBX, and Running mini-crew models are all recommended. I don't worry much about cushioned models, and just look for something thin and well-shaped.

On the synthetic side, my top choice with shoes would be WrightSocks, which have 2 thin layers. They are wonderfully comfortable, but don't last very long. UnderArmor also makes some nice synthetic running socks that keep their shape really well and have been pretty durable for me.. Of course, both of the synthetics get stinky like you wouldn't believe.
-Mark

hikerjohnd
10-31-2005, 10:11
you can't go wrong with smartwool - no liners

Kerosene
10-31-2005, 10:27
I use Smartwool socks with liners, mostly for cooler weather hiking. My last trip I went with Injinji toe liner socks (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47943471&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&addon=711809-728375&ext_cat=undefined) with Coolmax which were great at eliminating friction between my toes (the only place I get blisters).

soulrebel
10-31-2005, 15:29
wrightsock for me (double layer nylon) roadrunnersports.com $5-6

my wife likes smartwools $5-13

camp sock--head wool hiker 70%wool 25 nylon 5 spandex 3 for $8 costco store

The Will
10-31-2005, 19:26
As you can see, there is not really a concensus. It is an issue of personal preference, as it should be since all feet and gaits are different.

Smartwool socks have never done me wrong. When I was still hiking with boots I used their expedition trekking socks and have continued to use them even though I now hike predominantly in running shoes. These socks offer a lot of cushion and do well at keeping friction to a minimum.

Footslogger
10-31-2005, 19:38
Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet -- Thorlo Lighthikers with Coolmax.

I started off with Smartwool-like (REI knockoffs) socks on my thru in 2003. Once I cut over to my lighter weight clothing and gear I tried the Thorlos. Comfortable and wear like iron. Hiked in them from Pearisburg to Katahdin.

Try out a pair and see if you like em. You can get them at a good price (below retail) on-line at "The Sock Company.com".

'Slogger

neo
10-31-2005, 19:48
i use smart wool hiker's:cool: neo

Jack Tarlin
10-31-2005, 19:51
I've worn everything at one time or another.

These days, I prefer Bridgedales. Expensive, but worth it.

Skidsteer
10-31-2005, 20:07
Smartwool light hikers for me; My wife likes Bridgedales, but also uses Smartwools from time to time. No liners for either of us.

SGT Rock
10-31-2005, 21:19
After many years of playing with it - I have reduced my socks to JUST the liners for hiking in.

For camp I have a pair of Wigwam socks to be nice and toasty. In really cold weather I have a really thick pair of Wigwams.

But for hiking - liners are fine and dry ultra fast.

Skidsteer
10-31-2005, 21:51
After many years of playing with it - I have reduced my socks to JUST the liners for hiking in.

For camp I have a pair of Wigwam socks to be nice and toasty. In really cold weather I have a really thick pair of Wigwams.

But for hiking - liners are fine and dry ultra fast.

:-? Hmm... can't be any worse than cotton socks, and most probably a lot better-I think I'll try it! No worries about swollen feet, at any rate, I'll wager.

SGT Rock
10-31-2005, 21:58
But before you go into it totally, try it. I may have harder feet than you. Also, I hike in trail runners.

Skidsteer
10-31-2005, 22:49
But before you go into it totally, try it. I may have harder feet than you. Also, I hike in trail runners.

Qualification duly noted and appreciated. I wear Hi-tec V-lites( not much heavier than running shoes ), but more importantly, I've worked construction for 18 years and farmed before that, all while wearing heavy work boots with cotton socks in all kinds of weather. It's all gravy after that! When I got into hiking( Thanks to my wife ), I quickly realized that
" Life is too short for cotton socks( and weak coffee )!"

Thanks for the input.

sliderule
10-31-2005, 23:02
It's typical that wool socks have a wide following, as people buy into the "natural" hype and the "smart" name branding.
But, in warmer weather, wearing wool socks if far from smart. Wools does a terrible job of moisture management as compared to synthetics. Wool absorbs and retains moisture, then looses much of its volume and cushioning ability.
A well designed synthetic sock, like the Wigwam Ultimax, uses different materials in various locations to manage moisture, moving it away from the bottom of the foot and toward the top where it can evaporate.

orangebug
11-01-2005, 07:11
The above comments about wool socks, moisture management and warm weather represent the opinion of the writer and do not necessarily have any basis in reality.

justusryans
11-01-2005, 08:50
The above comments about wool socks, moisture management and warm weather represent the opinion of the writer and do not necessarily have any basis in reality.

Ditto.....

SGT Rock
11-01-2005, 09:06
Qualification duly noted and appreciated. I wear Hi-tec V-lites( not much heavier than running shoes ), but more importantly, I've worked construction for 18 years and farmed before that, all while wearing heavy work boots with cotton socks in all kinds of weather. It's all gravy after that! When I got into hiking( Thanks to my wife ), I quickly realized that
" Life is too short for cotton socks( and weak coffee )!"

Thanks for the input.

Yes, cotton socks suck. I hate them now. Synthetic socks are great for walking, and if I have to wear something with some cushion, I prefer Thorlo Light hikers. Sounds like you should already have fairly tough feet given your experiences, you just need to do lots of walking up and down mountains to see how your footwear will handel that. Even though I wear boots all the time and running shoes for exercise, little annoying blisters occasionally pop up from time to time. Nothing painful or hike ending - and I can't predict where it will happen - just happens based on new shoes when I first start out in them.

Anyway. My liner of choice for shoes has been these: Brigade QM (http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=27932&pagenumber%2Eptx=1&M5COPY%2Ectx=8038&M5%2Ectx=3183&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Socks%20%2D%20Cold%20Weather%2C%20 Waterproof%20Liners&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=socks&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam)

And my current choice with the trail runners:
Wigwam (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=11764)

Moxie00
11-01-2005, 09:57
Smartwool's, with nylon liners. Wear one pair, wash the others and hang them on your pack to dry. Made it Ga to Me without a single blister and both pair of socks though thin are still in wearable candition. I wore LL Bean Cresta boots.

sliderule
11-01-2005, 10:47

Hang a wet Smartwool sock next to a wet synthetic sock of comparable thickness. See which one dries first. Then you will have reality that you can call your own.

sliderule
11-01-2005, 11:53
Has anyone ever gotten cold feet in the summer while wearing Smartwool socks? The Smartwool website claims that their wool socks are "like having a mini air conditioning unit" on your feet.

And they claim that Smartwool wearers "always have more fun." Just think of all the fun you could have if you were blonde and wore Smartwool socks.

orangebug
11-01-2005, 14:34
Hang a wet Smartwool sock next to a wet synthetic sock of comparable thickness. See which one dries first. Then you will have reality that you can call your own.Why don't you try this first? I know that whenever I hike, all socks will get wet as you sweat about 1 pint per foot per day. I have yet to find my Smartwools wet and hot in comparison to the rest of my clothing.

light_heart
11-01-2005, 14:45
Has anyone ever gotten cold feet in the summer while wearing Smartwool socks? The Smartwool website claims that their wool socks are "like having a mini air conditioning unit" on your feet.

And they claim that Smartwool wearers "always have more fun." Just think of all the fun you could have if you were blonde and wore Smartwool socks.

Because I wanted more cushioning on my feet, I wore Smartwool light hikers all through this past summer, and found that they kept my feet cool and comfortable. I was amazed.

And yes, sitting here in my Smartwools today I am indeed having more fun.

Whistler
11-01-2005, 15:22
It's typical that wool socks have a wide following, as people buy into the "natural" hype and the "smart" name branding.
But, in warmer weather, wearing wool socks if far from smart. Wools does a terrible job of moisture management as compared to synthetics. Wool absorbs and retains moisture, then looses much of its volume and cushioning ability.
A well designed synthetic sock, like the Wigwam Ultimax, uses different materials in various locations to manage moisture, moving it away from the bottom of the foot and toward the top where it can evaporate.
Sort of depends on which Wigwam Ultimax model you're talking about--can you be more specific? The common Cool-Lites have a waffle knit on top that's nice, and so are the cuffs. But, I don't think they are well-shaped. They are too tight in the toes, and not snug enough in the arch, midfoot, and achilles. And I've never found the Cool-Lite fiber/gradient-moisture-transfer theory to work out in practice. If you want drier feet, you're probably better off changing your shoes than your socks.

One reason I like Smartwool running socks so much is that they are well-engineered and have a much more trim and anatomical fit. There are Ultimax models with nice trim shaping, like the Performance Quarter socks, but they're harder to find and the cost works out about the same.

And as for the moisture, it's fact that synthetics don't absorb as much as wool. They will absorb for a while, and then stop when they've reached their max, which leaves me with moist feet in moist socks. Even though they may dry a bit more slowly when they're off, I prefer thin wool socks, because their greater absorbency means they aren't overwhelmed with moisture as quickly as synthetics. Which means they provide more comfort and a drier feeling for a longer time while I'm actually hiking. They're also nicer when sleeping, as they don't feel as clammy as synthetics.

Your mileage varies, and that's cool, too.
-Mark

orangebug
11-01-2005, 15:40
BTW, I also wear Smartwool dress socks to work.

Skidsteer
11-01-2005, 21:55
Yes, cotton socks suck. I hate them now. Synthetic socks are great for walking, and if I have to wear something with some cushion, I prefer Thorlo Light hikers. Sounds like you should already have fairly tough feet given your experiences, you just need to do lots of walking up and down mountains to see how your footwear will handel that. Even though I wear boots all the time and running shoes for exercise, little annoying blisters occasionally pop up from time to time. Nothing painful or hike ending - and I can't predict where it will happen - just happens based on new shoes when I first start out in them.

Anyway. My liner of choice for shoes has been these: Brigade QM (http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=27932&pagenumber%2Eptx=1&M5COPY%2Ectx=8038&M5%2Ectx=3183&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Socks%20%2D%20Cold%20Weather%2C%20 Waterproof%20Liners&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=socks&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam)

And my current choice with the trail runners:
Wigwam (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=11764)

Thanks Sgt. Rock,
It's cool the way you stay on task with black flies buzzing all around. I'll give your favorites a try at my first opportunity.:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-02-2005, 06:49
SGT Rock, thanks for the info. I'll have to give polypro liners a try.

Whistler has echoed my experience with wool vrs synthetic socks (wool doesn't feel soppy wet as quickly and is more comfortable because of this) I generally rotate between two pairs of wool socks when hiking - I hang the socks not in use on my pack in dry weather and switch the socks about every two hours. In wet weather, I put the socks under my poncho or on the bottom of my umbrella.

jackiebolen
11-02-2005, 22:00
2 pairs of mens dress socks from Wal-Mart. Just make sure they don't have any cotton in them. Kept my feet happy for many a mile. I use them with trail runners.

Dakota Dan
11-04-2007, 20:15

ditto,

Also, the reality I've experienced is that the Merino Wool socks, both Smartwool and Wigwam, don't hold up, usually the heels are shot in less than a 100 miles, even with wearing a liner. My sock of choice is the Thorlo "Light Hiker" with a coolmax liner, they hike circles around the merino wool ones. I will concede the Merino Socks feel wonderful, but just not worth the high price you pay.

Appalachian Tater
11-04-2007, 20:39
I agree with Dakota Dan that Smarwools, although otherwise great, wear out fast for me. LL Bean's own brand of wool hiking socks (Cresta?) are a little cheaper by the pair and much more durable, very nice quality. Between now and Christmas, they have no shipping charges. http://www.llbean.com/cd-15/33721/502870.shtml

The $1+ dress socks from Wal-Mart are great liners and don't wear out. They absolutely take friction and move it from between your skin and the wool sock to between the liner sock and the wool sock. I had zero "real" blisters on my thru-hike and attribute it mainly to the use of liner socks.

refreeman
11-04-2007, 20:52
Smartwool socks, no liners. I usually like my hiking socks thick.

One day I didn't have any clean thick hiking socks. So I wore my smartwool ski socks; About a light medium weight. They did great! Less hot spots after 20 milers in July and they dried more quickly. It seems that in hot weather my feet sweat much more and if the thick socks eventually become saturated they bunch more than the thinner ski socks causing more friction and hot spots, and on a very few time blisters.

I still prefer my thick smartwools for cool and cold weather.

Smartwool. My smartwools last me a long time.

weary
11-04-2007, 23:05
AS I said on this or a related forum when I started in 1993 I had serious blisters. A hiker said to try Thorlos. I did. And didn't have another blister on the trail. Until someone shamed me into trying Smart Wool socks a year ago, I hadn't worn anything but Thorlos since. For a while Thorlos were easy to find. We were making a couple of trips to Salisbury, NC. each year. The Thurlo factory store is in Statesville, a few miles away.

Anyway I tried Smartwool when I saw them on sale at LL Beans (60 mile round trip away). They weren't better than Thorlos. But then I found Smartwools in a store that caters to working types 6 miles away. Which made my replacement of threadbare, but still seriveable Thorlos easier.

None of the Smartwools have yet worn out. But I suspect they won't be as durable as Thorlo's, judging by the signs of early wear. Two pairs of Thorlo's lasted the trails and a lot of of my hiking and working around the house since.

Anyway. Both are good socks. And both are far superior to the run of the mill socks I wore for years. I tend to be a scrounge. But a "love to be comfortable scrounge."

Weary

Weary

weary
11-04-2007, 23:10
AS I said on this or a related forum when I started in 1993 I had serious blisters. A hiker said to try Thorlos. I did and didn't have another blister on the trail. Until someone shamed me into trying Smart Wool socks a year ago, I hadn't worn anything but Thorlos since. For a while Thorlos were easy to find. We were making a couple of trips to Salisbury, NC. each year. The Thurlo factory store is in Statesville, a few miles away.

Anyway I tried Smartwool when I saw them on sale at LL Beans (60 mile round trip away). They weren't better than Thorlos. But obviously very good socks. Then I found Smartwools in a store that caters to working types 6 miles away.

None of the Smartwools have yet worn out. But I suspect they won't be as durable as Thorlo's, judging by the signs of early wear. Two pairs of Thorlo's lasted the trails and a lot of of my hiking and working around the house since.

Anyway. Both are good socks. And both are far superior to the run of the mill socks I wore for years. I tend to be a scrounge. But a "love to be comfortable scrounge."

Weary

clured
11-05-2007, 10:41
I wore Montrail Hardrocks last summer, and I tried lots of socks along the way. The winners were DeFeet and Patagonia. If you wear trail runners, get the lighest grade possible; in my experience more bulk in the sock just creates chafing issues.

take-a-knee
11-05-2007, 13:06
Myself and a few other guys on my Nat Guard ODA were responsible for getting some young soldiers ready to attend Special Forces Assessment and Selection (SFAS), a big part of which is walking really fast with heavy (60#+) pack. Most of this was done on gravel roads, but some was done, both in training and at FT Bragg at SFAS, on pavement, hot pavement. These are conditions which tend to produce blisters very quickly, and a lot of these guys' feet got pretty torn up. We found that Smartwool sox worked as advertised, much better than thorlos for most people. The softness of the wool blend is easier on your skin I believe.

Let me state also that I believe how your footgear fits is more important than your sock. If you have excessive compression or excessive movement(friction) in any part of your shoes/boots you will get blisters under the right conditions. A blister is a thermal injury so this process is exacerbated by the heat, either ambient or boots that are too warm.

vaporjourney
11-05-2007, 13:16
Darn Toughs. No exception. While on my thruhike this year, all of my friends kept replacing socks, and I had the same 2 pairs from Damascus, VA to Kathahdin. They are guaranteed for life as well. My socks are FINALLY starting to wear through on the heel, and after calling them 15 minutes ago, they agreed to replace them for free once I mail them to them.

Lone Wolf
11-05-2007, 13:17
yup. Darn Tough socks are the best hands down

Tinker
11-05-2007, 13:30
I currently use Smartwool Hikers except in the rain when I switch to neoprene socks. I don't wear liners with either (never kept me from getting blisters before the mid '80s when I gave them up, anyhow). Some will disagree. This doesn't work for everyone. I used Thorlo socks through the '90s with good results, but found that, when hiking in wet conditions, the loops in the bottom of the socks got stiff and irritated the soles of my feet. That doesn't happen with Smartwools. The Thorlos outlast the Smartwools, however. I probably go through twice as many Smartwools as Thorlos for the same mileage. Smartwools are sooooo soft, though :) .