PDA

View Full Version : October 16th and the greatest mountain is 'closed'.

Tramper Al
10-31-2005, 10:46
All the time I read that that Katahdin 'closes' on October 15th. Another thread discusses a scenario where an otherwise "thru-" hiker has reached Abol Bridge, but alas it is October 16th and the mountain is closed, for the season?

Now, I come from a slightly different culture. Few of the people I hike with aspire to fly down to Georgia and hike 2000+ miles to Maine. We do, however, hike the trails and peaks in New England year round, or through the ENTIRE year, if you prefer.

I will suggest what I would do if I found myself at Abol Bridge on the morning of Oct 16, and ask if other have done this.

Oct 16-Oct 31:

- Stay in shape. Thru-hiking fitness will help make you an outstanding winter hiker.

- Gather some friends and comrades who share your goal of hiking Katahdin before the end of the year. Find especially some experienced winter hikers, designate a leader and put together a team.

Nov 1:

Apply to BSP for the dates (sometime Dec 1-31?) for your trip.

Nov 2-Dec trip:

- Stay in shape.

- Take a winter hiking workshop, do some cold weather camping. Hike in the White Mountains, including the Presidentals, in late November and December. Snowshoes and crampons as needed, work your way up, work together as a team.

- Borrow or rent the gear, if you like. Make your trips on weekends if you must. Keep that day job.

Dec trip:

- Make your 2-3 day trip to Baxter, hike the Hunt Trail up Katahdin, finish your thru-hike. The mountain wasn't closed for you.

Again, I come from a different mindset, but what I've outlined seems way easier to me than the bit about walking all the way from Georgia.

TJ aka Teej
10-31-2005, 15:32
All the time I read that that Katahdin 'closes' on October 15th. .

The only thing that "closes" after October 15th is Baxter's overnight camping season. Many ATers (and day hikers) climb after the 15th when weather permits.

For many years the overnight camping season has been May 15th to October 16th, no matter on what day of the week those dates fell. That might change in the near future to at least a week later on both accounts, and perhaps on a Friday in May and a Saturday in October.