PDA

View Full Version : central virginia info

tagg
02-05-2015, 11:56
My next section is from VA-311 just north of Dragon's Tooth to the southern boundary of SNP. I know all about McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, and the Priest, but is there anything else I need to look for in this section or just be aware of?

hikernutcasey
02-05-2015, 12:32
My next section is from VA-311 just north of Dragon's Tooth to the southern boundary of SNP. I know all about McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, and the Priest, but is there anything else I need to look for in this section or just be aware of?You have most of the highlights listed. I would add the James river footbridge (longest on AT), Three Ridges (better views than the Priest) and the Guillotine is pretty cool.

Odd Man Out
02-05-2015, 12:40
Have you already done the hike up or down from the Dragon's Tooth? If not, starting a bit further south to include that would be a good idea (VA 620/Trout Creek).

Also, the Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba seems to be a "must-see" for many hikers. I planned on eating there last summer, but they were closed for their summer sabbatical when I came through:(.

Note that you can only camp at designated campgrounds and shelters from VA785 to Daleville and water can be scarce in that section, depending on the season.

JessetheViking
02-05-2015, 12:59
There is a great camp spot at the bottom of the priest across the road and footbridge on the left. Just before the priest if you are going NOBO there is an overlook to the right (NOBO) and a fun rock scramble (cant rember the name of it). Be sure to jump off the james river foot bridge on the north side just after the last concrete footer.

johnnybgood
02-05-2015, 13:08
Spy Rock is a short blueblaze off the trail. Campsites galore below and a spectacular view after the climb to the top.
Look for the blueblaze just before Fish Hatchery Road .

The other great view is hanging rock descending from the Three Ridges heading north. The open view is right off the AT.

wornoutboots
02-05-2015, 13:40
You can hitch into the town of Glasgow & stay at the "in town" shelter right behind the pizza place (the road once you cross the James River Bridge, head left). It's a nice place to get some rest & a free hot propane shower. Don't buy into the "Virginia Blues" bs, whoever came up with that was smoking too much weed ;). It is a beautiful state that at any moment will pop you out on to open rolling fields that will captivate you. Three Springs hostel at Buena Vista is a great place to get off your feet as well (Left 1.5 miles on USFS 48 at Hog Camp Gap) There is some superior camping with 360 degree views just before Hog Camp Gap so that's why I suggest making the LONG climb after US60 before staying at the hostel. Have a Great Hike!!

~Boots~

Blissful
02-05-2015, 15:38
The toughest section in VA. Take it easy.

Treehugger
02-06-2015, 16:22
My next section is from VA-311 just north of Dragon's Tooth to the southern boundary of SNP. I know all about McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, and the Priest, but is there anything else I need to look for in this section or just be aware of?

If you don't mind me asking, when are you starting this section? This same section will be the start of my flip flop thru attempt. Just curious if you will be out there at the same time. Thx!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tagg
02-10-2015, 20:02
If you don't mind me asking, when are you starting this section? This same section will be the start of my flip flop thru attempt. Just curious if you will be out there at the same time. Thx!!

End of May.

barich942
02-10-2015, 22:31
Hope you enjoy the have a great time.