PDA

View Full Version : question about my pack

misterfloyd
02-05-2015, 13:22
Hello to all,

As summer is coming, I'm preparing for a long section hike. As such, I'm trying to get material in order. I have a question that I hope you can help with.

All my summer hikes have been with my Ospery atmos 65. Great pack. I don't pack much and often have a lot of room still left. My base weigh is minimal and my major weight is always food.

I have thought about getting a smaller pack such as the ULA circut. I know I can fit what I need in there and not exceed the 35lbs weight recommendation.

I was also told perhaps I should keep the atmos for the summer, not use a compression sack for my bag so it will take up more space and continue with that.

I do want to drop some weight the difference between the ULA and Osprey is about 1+ pounds.

Any thoughts?

I will take my gear I have and try the ULA at a outfitter, I have a few in mind.

I always thought it was better to have the gear in the pack tightly compressed as opposed to it sloshing around. I always have the compression straps tight to get it closer to my body.

I will keep the 65 for winter.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated and very welcome. BTW, I'm going from Damascus to approx Buchanon, Va.

Floyd

mankind117
02-05-2015, 13:30
Why don't you save yourself 200+ dollars and just use the Osprey if you find it comfortable. It has ample compression, just pack your sleeping bag in a large stuff sack to take up more room. Is 1 pound worth 200 dollars? I use a 3.5 pound pack with an almost 5000 cubic inch year round. Just keep the sleeping bag loosely stuff and make use of the compression. I find I would much rather have a larger pack 1/2 to 2/3 full than an overly stuffed smaller pack.

shakey_snake
02-05-2015, 13:35
The 35lb weight recommendation is probably optimistic.

You're on the right track, because you'll need to fill one with your gear and try it on to see.

Packs are really personal, so it's hard to give you much more exact feedback. By starting this thread you're probably overthinking and under-"doing". :)

saltysack
02-05-2015, 13:56
Been very happy with my circuit...it has plenty of room for me all year...I use a compactor bag for all dry clothes and sleeping bag(winter..15 deg marmot helium down bag)....no stuff sacks and still have plenty of space my my lhg solong6, large neoair xlite and large zpacks food bag. I'm not a gram weenie but wt conscious. My winter load for me and my dog for 3-4 day trip is under 28lbs inc food and 1 liter water. Dog carries very little.. Thinking about getting ula ohm 2.0 for summer or zpacks as circuit has quit a bit of xtra space....not sold on durability of cuben yet as many I've seen many cuben packs while out that have had to be patched..with a kid and a dog it's got to be durable....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hikernutcasey
02-05-2015, 14:29
If you really like your Atmos and think highly of Osprey I would suggest you add another pack to your list of possibilities. Try on an Exos 48 and see what you think. Similar in size to the Circuit and it has the suspension back panel that lets the air flow through. I love mine but like someone said upthread, packs are very personal.

I also agree that you could just save the money and since down your Atmos and probably be just fine. I also second the use of a compactor bag. I switched to that method last year and love it.

wilsonnickp
02-05-2015, 14:43
I have an Osprey Exos 48 that is very comfortable, but I don't use it much anymore. I dropped my weight enough to get into a Gossamer Gear Gorilla and I love it. Favorite pack I have ever had. If your base weight is low enough, Gossamer Gear is a great company to look into. I have a GoLite as well that I used for awhile, but again, I prefer the GG.

Just Bill
02-05-2015, 15:10
To address your compaction concerns...
I (generally) like a loosely packed kit. Especially when talking synthetic bags avoiding compression is (literally) huge.

When looking to move fast and light-I do like a nice, tight kit. Having a small pack, close center of gravity, and tight fit helps with bushwhacking too. I typically go with down for insulation in this case so I don't damage my sleeping gear. It's also just plain old kinda fun to have a tiny pack.

For normal stuff though- a good comfy 50L or under that you like is sweet enough.

A pound is a pound though, and if you've got the opportunity to pack one up and try it before you buy then it's worth a shot.
Hard to beat the Cadillac comfort of an Osprey though and you may have a solid case of "if it ain't broke...".

bigcranky
02-05-2015, 15:12
I don't know that a Circuit is that much smaller in capacity than an Atmos 65. I do know that in summer I don't fill the Circuit.

You might consider an Ohm 2.0 if you can keep your weight below 25 pounds or so.

Blissful
02-05-2015, 15:28
Can't go wrong with ULA if your gear is set.

misterfloyd
02-05-2015, 15:52
Thanks guys for your thoughts.

I just remember having so much room last summer that my framesheet was kind of a frame of an external pack... if that makes sense. I have just a marmot alpine 40 degree for the summer. I have never hiked with it uncompressed. Since it has little loft it wouldn't take too much room.

I may try it just loose on the bottom with the sleeping bag divider in use. I would just have dead space or put my tarp tent in that area. Always use a disposal bag in my pack either way.

Just feel like the atmos locks my hips. I have long legs and there are times I feel it interferes with my stride. I may be over thinking this as well :)

I may bring my stuff to the outfitter and see how things shake out.

It is always good to get a second opinion. I could use that extra $200 on a good winter down bag.

I thank you all for your help.

Best Floyd

Back on the trail
02-06-2015, 13:48
IF you live anywhere near Maryville take a run down to Little river trading company and talk with Wildcat. He spent 2 1/2 hours with me trying on and discussing three packs. We took gear from all over the store and stuffed them full then walked around the shop for a while with each before making my choice. Great wealth of info and a good shoe selection to. I was in Gatlinburg and am so glad I made the drive.