10-31-2005, 12:24
Sometimes folks abbreviate things that aren't immediately clear -

What is YMMV?

Midway Sam
10-31-2005, 12:27
Your mileage may vary

Jaybird
10-31-2005, 12:48
Sometimes folks abbreviate things that aren't immediately clear -What is YMMV?

WOW CynJ:

how does anyone walk onto the A.T. & log only 2 miles?
curious....:D

CynJ
10-31-2005, 13:00
lol....hubby and I had been in the truck running errands and ended up near Kent - we had brought some sandwiches and we decided to go up a little ways past the Mt. Algo shelter and have a picnic. We were going to go further but it started to thunder and we decided to be prudent and head back for the truck.

flyfisher
11-01-2005, 10:39

What is YMMV?

With the endless invention of new abbreviations on the web, I usually just google for similar answers.

define: YMMV

works great in Google.

Rick

Seeker
11-01-2005, 12:03
hi CynJ... i think it was one of my posts that puzzled you... something about finding corona ointment at walmart/target/feed stores... i used "YMMV" to indicate 'you might find it at walmart in your area, even if mine doesn't carry it'.hate to admit this, but the one that had me going for the longest time was NOBO... finally figured it out, but flyfisher's google comment is dead-on... would have saved me some trouble...

Rain Man
11-01-2005, 12:08
Besides the rules of journalism, common courtesy dictates that one not use an acronym until the words have already been written out at least once in the article. Throwing around acronyms right out of the box is snobbery or slothfulness.

Exceptions from the general rule are the universal Internet chat abbreviations, such as LOL, YMMV, and so forth. There are many web sites that list those for the curious.

Then you get folks who simply confuse acronyms and things/places, like the Nantahala Outdoor Center (a coporation with locations in several towns) with Wesser, NC. That's a whole 'nuther unnecessary problem of confusion. Ever looked for "NOC" on a map of North Carolina, or even a map of the Appalachian Trail?

Rain:sunMan

lobster
11-01-2005, 12:33
YMMV

That isn't exactly widely used!

The Old Fhart
11-01-2005, 12:46
lobster-"YMMV
That isn't exactly widely used!" Depends on what you mean by "widely". Do a search for YMMV and you will find almost 40 hits on WB and 65,000 hits on the web. LNT has about 70 hits on WB and HYOH has about 50, respectively.

bogey
11-01-2005, 21:42
Two that I had the most trouble with were GAME and AYCE, especially that AYCE! until I saw them used the way I was taught, as in "all you can eat (AYCE)".

when one sees it occassionally, abbrevs are fine, that's why we have 'em.

But why is abbreviation such a long word?

hikerjohnd
11-01-2005, 21:47
I vaguely recall suggesting we add these acronyms to the glossary - I know it took me forever to learn some of the lingo (and I still google some...) Where is teh glossary anyway...

hikerjohnd
11-03-2005, 15:11
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8115&highlight=glossary

Here is the trail terms from WB

:D

gumby
11-03-2005, 17:20

What is YMMV?

IMHO YMMV but it depends if you are NOBO or SOBO or GAME or MEGA then you could be WF who doesn't know which it is but will be added to his book.

The end