PDA

View Full Version : A (Reflective) Walk in the Woods

wilsonnickp
02-05-2015, 16:13
With all the hype about the movie, and the criticism that comes with it, I've gotten to thinking about Bill Bryson's book. Several years ago, as a college student who had a lot of time and not much to do, I did a lot of reading. I read a couple other Bryson books, which led me to A Walk in the Woods. I knew very little, or nothing, about the trail but enjoyed his writing. After I finished the book, I did a little reseach, realized I was just a couple hours from Springer, and went to REI and bought everything I thought needed for a weekend on the trail. (Embarrassing side note: I brought a heavy plastic mallet just to hammer in tent stakes.)

It's weird looking back now that the trail has such a huge impact on my life. It all came down to a simple book recommendation and being lucky enough to live a short drive from the trailhead.

canoe
02-05-2015, 17:41
Yep the book pretty much almost doubled the traffic on the AT. Now WILD came out and again this new movie is coming out which will bring even more folks to the AT...which will lead to more regulations, use permits etc. Its time for more movies that romanticize something like dog speeding, swimming bungie jumping, base jumping, bike riding, surfing etc to take some of the population off the trail.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2015, 17:57
i believe the internet has brought out more than any book or movie

canoe
02-05-2015, 18:13
I am sure the internet has helped bring interest through journals and such, but what brought interest to the internet? Promotion of books and movies. imho

saltysack
02-05-2015, 19:16
I'm not for more people but have to consider a positive...
-more people=more push to conserve more wilderness to create more trails..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gpburdelljr
02-05-2015, 19:26
Its time for more movies that romanticize something like dog speeding....

Dog speeding? I assume spellcheck changed sledding to speeding, or I this a new sport I haven't heard about?

canoe
02-05-2015, 19:55
Dog speeding? I assume spellcheck changed sledding to speeding, or I this a new sport I haven't heard about?
You never heard of dog speeding?...Huh Whats the madder you. LOL sledding its is