PDA

View Full Version : How to pack a Martin Backpacker guitar

Penn-J
02-05-2015, 19:17
I bought one of those funny looking guitars years ago with the intention of taking it backpacking. Well, it's been about five years now and still haven't taken it.

The thing is, my pack is a ULA Circut. It just doesn't fit in it. I guess I'm gonna have to just bite the bullet and buy a bigger pack for when I want to bring the guitar.

I was just wondering if anyone out there in White blaze world brings this guitar backpacking and how they pack it.

Thanks

bigcranky
02-05-2015, 21:01
I have always seen them strapped to the outside of the pack, vertically.

How does it sound?

lkmi
02-05-2015, 21:10
Yeah, if I was to bring mine, I'd just attach it to the back of the pack.
Honestly, though, it's never made the cut, weight-wise (as light as it is)...

Penn-J
02-05-2015, 21:16
It has a decent sound for a travel guitar.The action is kinda high, but that's good if you are playing with a slide.
I also found that lighter gauge strings work better than heaver ones. It has a very bluegrass sound (if that makes sense) kinda twangy sounding.

Feral Bill
02-05-2015, 21:17
Maybe some kind of dry sack made for a a firearm?

squeezebox
02-05-2015, 22:15
How much does it weigh?

Penn-J
02-06-2015, 06:23
It's about 2 lbs. I wouldn't bring it on an extended hike, just easy weekend trips.

Penn-J
02-06-2015, 06:33
This guy knows how to rock a Martin Backpacker.....

http://youtu.be/cZRkVVSeK7k

squeezebox
02-06-2015, 09:18
Does wrapping it in newspaper or some other water absorption make any sense? I'ld use elastic cord of some sort instead of non-stretch cord, a bit of give if it gets snagged on a branch or such.

Neemor
02-07-2015, 01:43
I saw a video of a thru hiker that carried one all the way and it looked like he tied a bandana to the lower part (so that it made a cup) of his backpack and the had some kinda cord lock for the top. It had no case with it.

I carry a ukulele tuned cdga. I made my own case/sleeve out of a light weight material and i put that inside my backpack (i have a 60 ltr pack) ukes are a better alternative because they weigh 1 pound or less and are much smaller. Also you can get different strings so it can be tuned like a variety of different instruments. That way you don't have to learn new chord shapes. I believe the string company was called aquilla (or something close to that)

Old Hillwalker
02-07-2015, 08:05
Get some water absorption packets to put in the inside, wrap the entire guitar with saran wrap, put it in the closet, and leave it at home! There is nothing purer than the sound of silence.

Penn-J
02-07-2015, 09:17
I carry a ukulele tuned cdga. I made my own case/sleeve out of a light weight material and i put that inside my backpack (i have a 60 ltr pack) ukes are a better alternative because they weigh 1 pound or less and are much smaller. Also you can get different strings so it can be tuned like a variety of different instruments. That way you don't have to learn new chord shapes. I believe the string company was called aquilla (or something close to that)[/QUOTE]

Thats really neat! Thanks! I like the idea of putting different strings on a ukulele. You could do D.G.B.E and like you said, the cords and scales would be the same.

I have a ukulele and like it a lot. It really helps with learning finger picking.

Frye
02-07-2015, 21:42
I've always seen them strapped on the outside of the pack. Seems a little bulky and fragile to put inside anyways.

While on the subject has anyone ever got the urge to pull a Belushi on the dude playing guitar at the shelter? (Think Animal House if you don't get the Belushi reference)
Weird part is that I actually enjoy listening to the folks play, but there always seems to be a devil on my shoulder telling me I should do it. I dunno, maybe I need meds.

honogica
02-12-2015, 01:37
Its a traveller, it should travel. You don't need a case, theyre built to take the abuse

Traveler
02-12-2015, 07:10
While on the subject has anyone ever got the urge to pull a Belushi on the dude playing guitar at the shelter? (Think Animal House if you don't get the Belushi reference)

When the "tunes" go on nearly to midnight, and you are downwind of that stuff, Belushi had it right, in my view.

rocketsocks
02-12-2015, 17:37
Maybe some kind of dry sack made for a a firearm?
Lacrosse stick case looks just about the right size for a strum stick, the Martin backpacker is a wee bit smaller in length, may work.

rocketsocks
02-12-2015, 17:40
Or, take the gig bag Martin makes, and hydropel it, or mix some liquid silicon with alcohol and paint it on the gig bag.