PDA

View Full Version : Doing the happy dance - just got my tent!

CynJ
10-31-2005, 12:27
I'm psyched! Just won an auction on Ebay for the tent I wanted! A brandnew Eureka Timberline 2 for only $27 ($34 w/shipping)

I know its not the lightest but its got great reviews everywhere I've seen reviews for it.

:banana :banana :banana :banana

hikerjohnd
10-31-2005, 15:17
I'm psyched! Just won an auction on Ebay for the tent I wanted! A brandnew Eureka Timberline 2 for only $27 ($34 w/shipping)

I know its not the lightest but its got great reviews everywhere I've seen reviews for it.

:banana :banana :banana :banana

I spent some cozy nights in my TL2 - I lost it shortly after a Cumberland Island trip - I think it was left on the boat :( . You're right about the weight - but it's a solid tent if you're just beginning! I always liked the gear loft - look into it for storing stuff. Enjoy!

light_heart
10-31-2005, 16:27
I've camped in a TL2 for close on 20 years now (two separate tents, mind) and love it. It's dry, dry, dry inside, goes up fast, well ventilated so it doesn't get damp at night. I've camped in it in snow and in the Mistral in France and it's always been a champ. Enjoy!

Sly
10-31-2005, 18:06
7 pounds! Going car camping?

CynJ
10-31-2005, 19:45
5lb 13oz Sly ;)

Sly
10-31-2005, 20:02
5lb 13oz Sly ;)

Oh OK, you're all set!

For the money you got a great deal. One can never have too many tents! :)

CynJ
10-31-2005, 20:07
And its big enough for me and the dog.

I may buy the add on vestibule but it adds a whole pound. I might try and make one that's lighter.

Panzer1
10-31-2005, 20:24
Can't beat the price.
It will be a good tent for the gathering or the ruck, but I would not want to carry it on the trail for any length of time.

Panzer

Scribe
10-31-2005, 20:53
I have TWO Timberline 4s, each of which is comfy for 3 people. I assume that a TL 2 would be comfortable for one (with a small dog), When I have used a TL 4 for backpacking, it is divided among 3 people. Even then, each person is carrying almost 4 pounds...!

hikerjohnd
10-31-2005, 21:04
And its big enough for me and the dog.

I may buy the add on vestibule but it adds a whole pound. I might try and make one that's lighter.

I liked my vestibule, but for some reason found it a bit difficult getting in and out of the tent when it was attached. I vaguely remember Eureka had a fly that attached to the front of the TL series - but I'm not sure - it might be a better accessory than the vestibule... just a thought.

Panzer1
10-31-2005, 21:58
I have an Eureka Alpine Meadows (very similar to the timberline) that uses the exact same vestible as the Timberline. I used it at the past gathering in the pouring rain. When the door was open, I think the vestible helped prevent the rain from coming in. The slope of the vestible also helps shed the water away from the tent. The vestible is only $40 at campmor. I think that its worth the price to have. . You don't have to put it on unless its really going to rain. Even if you make your own vestible I would recomemd buying the vestible anyway.

Panzer

Spartan Hiker
10-31-2005, 22:02
Great tent, albeit a bit heavy for a single backpacker to haul. I still have mine, somewhere...

TN_Hiker
11-01-2005, 10:06
For the money you can't beat it. You know the plastic, holey piece that holds all the poles together at the apex --- I speak from experience buy an extra one and carry it w/ you. Yes, it adds a little extra weight but when that sucker breaks you will be glad you have it. I had one of mine crack in extremely cold conditions. Maybe it was flawed or maybe the cold caused it to become brittle. I was able to lash the poles together which worked, but not ideal. So are you camping out in the backyard tonight? lol

otterman
11-01-2005, 14:23
I've had a Timberline for about twenty years. It has survived strong winds, rain, and snow. The only time I used it for packing was when I could split the weight with another person.

CynJ
11-02-2005, 21:03
Wow!

Got the tent via UPS today - and immediately set it up in my living room :D

Went together very very easily - and its very roomy inside :) I am thoroughly impressed!

Can someone tell me what the rings are on the very top of the fly are for though? :-?

Skidsteer
11-02-2005, 22:02
Elastic, bungee cord-like rings or small hard plastic rings?

CynJ
11-02-2005, 23:03
the small nickel sized hard plastic one - along the top ridgeline of the fly

hikerjohnd
11-02-2005, 23:19
the small nickel sized hard plastic one - along the top ridgeline of the fly

I don't know if it is the intended purpose, but I used them to set up the fly by itself when I was sleeping without the tent.

Skidsteer
11-02-2005, 23:20
I'd have to look at the directions for our family Timberline 4 to be sure( and I'm working out of town at the moment ), but I seem to remember that the rings are for rigging the fly in high winds. Am I correct in thinking that since you bought the tent used, there are no directions? I might be able to dig mine out and send you a copy, if that is the case. Let me know. Cheers!

CynJ
11-03-2005, 00:00
lol....found it in the instructions - blond moment

I hit it really lucky Skidsteer- the tent was brandnew! For $27!! :D