PDA

View Full Version : NOBO PA in 14 days in April

David B B
02-06-2015, 14:57
I'm planning on hitting the trail again in April, taking 2 weeks and starting at the PA/MD line and going all 230 miles in 14 days. My tentative schedule is as follows:

Mason-Dixon Line, Maryland-Pennsylvania State Line

Deer Lick Shelter

Old Forge Park, Antietam Shelter

Tumbling Run Shelters

Rocky Mountain Shelters

Quarry Gap Shelters

Birch Run Shelter

Tom Run Shelters

James Fry Shelter aka Tagg Run Shelter

Alec Kennedy Shelter

Darlington Shelter

Cove Mountain Shelter

Clarks Ferry Shelter

Peters Mountain Shelter

Rausch Gap Shelter

William Penn Shelter

PA 501, 501 Shelter (Pine Grove, PA 17963)

Eagle's Nest Shelter

Windsor Furnace Shelter

Allentown Hiking Club Shelter

Bake Oven Knob Shelter

George W Outerbridge Shelter

Leroy A Smith Shelter

Kirkridge Shelter

Delaware River Bridge, Pennsylvania/New Jersey State Line

It's a little further than the 90 or so miles in 5 days I did back in July yo-yoing Maryland, but i think it should still be a doable pace, and at the end, there aren't a lot of options anyway, so pulling a 16 mile day most days should just be a nice steady pace.

I've got the trail guide for PA on order, but is there anything I should expect or keep in mind that isn't in the book, or isn't emphasized enough?

Can't wait for April...

Stepinwolfe
02-06-2015, 18:05
David, assuming you are in good physical shape, I believe your plan is reasonable. You will find PA harder than MD--very rocky and lots of steep ups and downs at the river valleys. Perpare for some cold/windy weather (40s) and some rain. Water situation should be good.

shelb
02-06-2015, 21:33
Be careful not to get "lulled" into thinking PA is easy when you are hiking the first half. There will be several EASY = walk in the park sections. Then, it will get much more difficult than MD!

Sandy of PA
02-06-2015, 22:03
Day 13 is killer, unless you are an experienced rock climber.

Slo-go'en
02-06-2015, 22:50
The first 100 miles of PA is actually kinda pleasant. The rest is an ankle twisty mess. I really like the way they keep making you go from cruising alone a nice old gravel woods road to some insane rattle snake infested pile of rocks for a mile or two, then back to the nice woods road again.

I think the worst day is crossing the Cumberland valley. That little climb up to Darlington shelter at the end of a long day is a butt kicker. But you sure don't want to stay at the backpackers tent site outside of Boiling Springs. Your 100 feet from the RR tracks and with a mile long fright train rolling by every hour or so, you will get zero sleep. If I were to do it again, I would attempt the Alec Kennedy to Darlington run.

The decent into Duncanon is a knee cruncher and the climb out of Lehigh valley is exciting. Who said PA is easy? They manage to throw some obstacles in along the way.

I guess the OP is going to resupply on the fly when going through the couple of towns along the way and doesn't plan on showering for 2 weeks. PA is about the only state which I managed to get blisters in and I had come all the way from Roanoak, VA on that trip. So make sure your boots fit well and your feet are broken in. And hope it's not a real rainy April and all the snow has melted. Other then that, it's just a walk in the woods...

Studlintsean
02-06-2015, 23:49
I did a hike from PA 34 to Duncannon 2 weeks ago. Get water at the stream just before Alec Baldwin Shelter (you cross right over it) and also at the spring on the left just before the climb up to Darlington Shelter. Pray there is no Ice on the climb into Duncannon. It was not pleasant. I found the PA miles from Penmar to Duncannon quite nice with a few decent climbs mixed in. Have a good hike.

Crash
02-07-2015, 13:07
A lot of hikers forgo G. Outer bridge shelter for Palmerton Jail.

Sent from my iPod touch.

LogHiking
02-07-2015, 14:05
I've done the very difficult and rocky climb being talked about here several times. It is very challenging but as has been said, anyone in good physical shape can do it. There are a couple spots I sarcastically wish I had repelling gear, but in reality it isn't that bad. Just take a little extra precaution through those sections and you should be just fine.

David B B
02-09-2015, 08:59
The first 100 miles of PA is actually kinda pleasant. The rest is an ankle twisty mess. I really like the way they keep making you go from cruising alone a nice old gravel woods road to some insane rattle snake infested pile of rocks for a mile or two, then back to the nice woods road again.

I think the worst day is crossing the Cumberland valley. That little climb up to Darlington shelter at the end of a long day is a butt kicker. But you sure don't want to stay at the backpackers tent site outside of Boiling Springs. Your 100 feet from the RR tracks and with a mile long fright train rolling by every hour or so, you will get zero sleep. If I were to do it again, I would attempt the Alec Kennedy to Darlington run.

The decent into Duncanon is a knee cruncher and the climb out of Lehigh valley is exciting. Who said PA is easy? They manage to throw some obstacles in along the way.

I guess the OP is going to resupply on the fly when going through the couple of towns along the way and doesn't plan on showering for 2 weeks. PA is about the only state which I managed to get blisters in and I had come all the way from Roanoak, VA on that trip. So make sure your boots fit well and your feet are broken in. And hope it's not a real rainy April and all the snow has melted. Other then that, it's just a walk in the woods...

Yeah, everything I've read says that there are parts of PA that'll just kill your feet.

I am actually planning the Alec Kennedy to Darlington run. Which shelter is the one next to the rail road tracks? I'm definitely willing to push on to avoid that level of noise. I went an extra 6 miles my first day in Maryland so I wouldn't hear the rumble of I70 all night, after having already gone 20 miles!

And yes, I'm planning on resupplying as needed on the trail, and taking full advantage of baby wipes to wash up. Though if it's really bad, I've got extra days built in that I can stop for a night in a hotel to wash, rest, and recover.

David B B
02-09-2015, 09:13
A lot of hikers forgo G. Outer bridge shelter for Palmerton Jail.

I didn't know about that one! Thank you!

Studlintsean
02-09-2015, 09:32
The campsite is 3 milea past Alec Kennedy shelter just south of Boiling Springs. You will pass it on your day to Darlington Shelter.

MisterQ
02-10-2015, 13:42
I am planning my first ever section hike of the AT from Pen Mar to Duncannon in May. The planned itinerary at this point is Tumbling Run, Quarry Gap, Ironmasters, Rt. 94 campsite, Allenberry, Darlington and the Doyle. Daily miles of 8, 12, 17, 9, 10, 14 and 11. I am trying to maximize my chances of success and enjoyment, so not looking to put up big miles. I greatly appreciate this forum as a source of advice and information.

Rain Man
02-11-2015, 11:58
Yeah, everything I've read says that there are parts of PA that'll just kill your feet.

It's not just that it kills your feet, but it's exhausting mentally and on the rest of your body, having to pay close attention to where you step for hours on end.

I could never do the mileages you're planning on most days in PA.

If you'd like to see, here are the photo albums of my two AT PA section hikes. I did half of PA each time. The captions are my trip report.

Pen Mar County Park/Mason Dixon Line to Swatara Gap. Oct '12 (http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/11518222/)

Swatara Gap to Delaware Water Gap. April '13 (http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/14427972/)

Rain Man

keepinitsimple
02-27-2015, 20:27
As a PA section hiker guy, I am used to the rocks. I have 11 miles left and I am done my home state. I have to add my 2 cents. There are loads of good spots to sleep in a soft hotel bed if you like- for medicinal reason. I have no illusions any more about doing weeks on the trail in a tent. The trail crosses rt 11. Great diner, cheap hotels. Just what the Dr ordered for herniation in c4-5-6, L4-5-s1. You can also get an Elk sandwich at Cabels. Hit the coffee shop and lounge at Boiling Springs. Most of all, have fun!

Malto
02-27-2015, 21:34
The rocks are overhyped. Yes they get progressively worse the further north you go but all in all it's not hard to do higher mile days. I found it to be very similar to Maryland.

DrL
02-28-2015, 10:39
As a PA section hiker guy, I am used to the rocks. I have 11 miles left and I am done my home state. I have to add my 2 cents. There are loads of good spots to sleep in a soft hotel bed if you like- for medicinal reason. I have no illusions any more about doing weeks on the trail in a tent. The trail crosses rt 11. Great diner, cheap hotels. Just what the Dr ordered for herniation in c4-5-6, L4-5-s1. You can also get an Elk sandwich at Cabels. Hit the coffee shop and lounge at Boiling Springs. Most of all, have fun!
I wouldn't eat anything at Cabelas. The Port Clinton hotel is much closer and offers huge portions of hand cut french fries. Plus they have beer.

Hangfire
02-28-2015, 15:01
Pennsylvania was by far the hardest part of my thru hike last year. I nearly ended my thru hike there waiting for tendonitis in my ankles to heal. Pace yourself and don't try to push too hard on those rocks, they will humble you!

David B B
03-10-2015, 08:39
I wouldn't eat anything at Cabelas. The Port Clinton hotel is much closer and offers huge portions of hand cut french fries. Plus they have beer.

Good to know!

With only about a month till I hit the trail I'm getting my pack together, and itching to get going!!

fredmugs
03-10-2015, 10:13
The rocks are overhyped. Yes they get progressively worse the further north you go but all in all it's not hard to do higher mile days. I found it to be very similar to Maryland.

"The PA rocks are the worst thing ever." ~ Anyone who hasn't been thru the Whites.

Your plan is very doable. Just take your time over the bad rocky parts. It's trying to go over them too quickly that has done me in. Your knees and ankles will thank you.

Soggybottom
03-10-2015, 16:34
From pen mar to mid pa you are going to find the hiking pretty well shaded and pretty easy going. The rocks near High Rock above Pen Mar south that is.. are tough but not that long. You have a climb up to Chimney Rocks near the Camp Penn in the Old Forge. But the hiking is pretty flat all through PA. Enjoy