PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new hammock

mtntopper
02-06-2015, 18:42
I am looking for a new hammock, tarp, top quilt, bottom quilt...what would you suggest based on the following?

hammock 10ft-11ft
single layer
ridge line
pack ring or loops
weight limit 250 lbs max

tarp
light weight
with or without door
3 season

top and bottom quilts
20 degrees
full or three quarter length?

hikehunter
02-06-2015, 20:00
go look at hammock forms, you will find all kinds of stuff. Checkout Dutch gear. and Dream hammocks. find someone that has a hammock and ask to try it out to see if it is what you are looking for. good luck

Connie
02-06-2015, 20:00
AntiGravityGear.
http://antigravitygear.com/shop/shelters-accessories/antigravitygear-quicksilver-ultralight-hammock-system/

Dutchware Argon Hammock.
http://dutchwaregear.com/argon-hammock.html

Grand Trunk Nano 7 Hammock.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=grand+trunk+nano+7&tag=hydsma-20&index=aps&hvadid=50767693020&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17315139267514873635&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=m&ref=pd_sl_wl30f083q_e

I like Hammock Gear Burrow 20 F top quilt. I will have their 3/4 under quilt.

I have ordered their Cuben Diamond Asymmetrical Tarp.

kayak karl
02-06-2015, 20:03
what didn't you like about your old hammock? it would help us with the choices. Are you thru hiking with it?

kayak karl
02-06-2015, 20:12
DIY your hammock.
Cuben 9-11 tarp
JRB quilts. Top quilt wearable.
, but this is me :)

Connie
02-06-2015, 20:17
Cuben or Hybrid Cuben, like ZPacks hybrid cuben?

I read that SGT Rock's cuben hammock delaminated, shredded, or otherwise "fell through".

kayak karl
02-06-2015, 20:43
Cuben or Hybrid Cuben, like ZPacks hybrid cuben?

I read that SGT Rock's cuben hammock delaminated, shredded, or otherwise "fell through".

I thought the hybrid was used for packs and items that need the durability. My tarp is a Z-pack made with .51 oz/sqyd cuben fiber fabric. Tey don't sell my tarp. I had them make it in 2010.
Rock's hammock did well for a while. Was worth a try :)

winger
02-06-2015, 22:32
Hammock: warbonnet
Tarp: OES
Quilt: too many to chose from

Grinch
02-06-2015, 23:42
Seems people don't like Eno as well but i am from NC and have stuck with them. They just same out with a new hammock called the Sub7. its on backorder from Rei so i can't vouch for it first hand yet, but i am stoked to be getting it for my 2 month AT trip in march. However, the doublenest is extremely comfy and doesn't give me hyper extended knees like most crossbar hammocks do.
i have the Eno Housefly. i know its heavy at 27oz but i have several down items and i wanted to ensure i had an impregnable fortress for the almost certain march and april rain. It is modestly priced at 140$. Now if you got the $ to drop a cuben fiber tarp. Hammock Gear standard cf tarp with doors looks the tits but 295$!. Enlightened Equipment Revolt Elite 900fill 20 degree, only 19oz but 450$. Thats why no $ for cf tarp:{)

Connie
02-07-2015, 00:51
Thank you, for mentioning the Eno Sub 7.

I found the You Tube video. It has a different attachment to the line at each end. I didn't get a good look at it. Does the dyneema go thru the gathered end?

The Eno Sub 7 is listed at 3" shorter than a Grand Trunk Nano 7 and .2 oz. less weight.

Grinch
02-07-2015, 01:27
Havent gotten mine yet. Rei says based on Eno's word i will receive it by the 16 of feb. Not sure what you mean by gathered end but if like the double and single its looped thru the folded then stitched ends of hammock. Then just looped for your suspension. The sub7 comes with Eno's light weight aluminum wire gate carabiner. i will post some info when it arrives.

Grinch
02-07-2015, 01:28
duh. gathered end.sorry

Rain Man
02-07-2015, 12:12
Among the many fine alternatives, I'll throw out:

Hennessey Hammocks, the inventor of comfortable, structural ridgeline hammocking.
OES or Wilderness Logics tarps. I have each and each is great. Of course Hennessey makes good ones too.
Underground Quilts. Great folks to work with. 3/4 not full-length.

Apologies to all the other fine cottage industry brands! I chose to restrict myself to those I have experience using on trails.

Rain Man

msupple
02-07-2015, 12:22
I don't think you mentioned if you prefer netted or netless. I personally can't imagine going nettless in the summer. Too many creepy crawlies for me. I highly recommend going to a hammock group hang if you are not in a rush. You'd be able to try out many different hammocks. Find the dates and locations on hammock forums mentioned above. My personal favorites right now (subject to change) are the Warbonnet Ridgerunner and the Dream Hammocks.

barich942
02-10-2015, 22:52
Dream Hammock Roaming Knome. UGQ for top and bottom quilts. Superfly tarp.

OCDave
02-11-2015, 00:18
If I were to lose all my hammock equipment, I would replace;
My Wilderness Logics Lite Owl (Double layer but, I am a big guy Get the Snipe single layer if your less than 200 lbs),
My Warbonnet Outdoors SuperFly (I like it better than my cuben fiber tarp) and
My Hammock Gear 20* Burrow/Incubator quilts (provide wide enough range for most of my trips).

All the above will set a guy back a bit over $800 new but you will avoid having to replace lesser gear.

Good Luck

jimyjam
02-11-2015, 00:36
I have an ENO Double nest hammock and Warbonnet Superfly tarp...Love them both!!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Grinch
02-19-2015, 18:49
got the sub7. the dyneema does indeed go thru gathered end. i set up today and played in it for a few. seems less stable than the double but very comfy. i am 5'11" and it's not to short as i have seen others say. i had no problem laying flat same as in my double nest. i imagine that with uq you wouldn't even know what hammock you was in. now with that being said i hang my hammocks rigid as i know about the stretch and this is the only way i can mitigate the backwards broken leg syndrome that hammocks have always given me. i like it and will continue only buying eno hammocks. i live in nc so i like the local option. take care and hope this helps. if you want some pics i will post them asap

rjjones
02-19-2015, 19:14
I 2nd Msupple.Go to hammock forum and find a hang near you.There are a lot of hammocks,quilts,tarp, suspensions and more.Check out a hang.See what they look like,how they go together and how they feel.Then make a choice based on tons of info at hand.Good luck.

chiefduffy
02-20-2015, 18:45
Check out Sheltowee hammocks if your interested in a integrated underquilt/hammock...I have one and love it.