PDA

View Full Version : Section hike VA in less than 21 days?

River Lizard
02-07-2015, 08:04
I'd like to hear opinions on if it's possible to section hike Virginia S to N in less than 21 days.
I haven't backpacked or really trail hiked in years but I'm athletic, slim and have long legs (something in there has to work). I can probably manage getting 3 weeks off work for this trip but not much more than that. I've been figuring the 558 miles and found that I need to push the 31 mile mark to complete it in 18 days, which would give me 3 days to recover before going back to work. Is this even possible? I plan on doing a day hike in early March (around the Lurray area) to see what I can do with a full pack on the trail (mph average) to help determine if I can make this trip.
I won't be sight-seeing along the trail (I can do that any time since I live in VA), my aim is to complete the AT from the South border to the North border in VA is all. This will give me an idea on whether I'll be doing the whole trail when I retire.
My plan is to hammock overnight and try to be on the trial by 5 am and hike until 7 or 8 pm every day. At least 1 major resupply by I64 and maybe a mid-grade supply at Roanoke area but that's it. I'm going to pack several lbs of beef jerky (home made) protein source and possibly dehydrate some other items as well. I'd like to keep camp time below 1 hr for the whole day (morning and evening) if at all possible, so camp fires probably won't be on my to-do list during the hike, probably just pickup some type of mini rocket stove for a cooking source. I'd like to hit the trail late April or early May but I want to avoid the mass hiker crowds also, is that probably not going to happen during that time frame?

List is main items I plan on taking (target weight is around 28 lbs):
1. Backpack
2. Hammock
3. Tarp
4. Rocket stove (alcohol burning)
5. 2 pr. shorts, 2 t-shirts, etc.
6. Rain suit
7. Sleeping bag (if I go in April)
8. Water bag and filter
9. Sundries
10. 2 small towels
11. video camera, ipod, iphone, 2-battery recharge packs 10K+ mAh.
12. mini first-aid kit (triple ointment, small roll of gauze, advil, deet)
13. 3-4 lbs beef jerky
14. Mini trowel
15. light-weight cord
16. 1 large cup for cooking and coffee

One last thing, I also noticed that the beginning of the AT trail in Virginia is 4 or 5 miles South of Damascus and from looking at the map I'm wondering if the best way to get to the start is to be dropped off by the church in NC and hike up to valley to the West? I don't see a road that takes you close to the start and I'd rather not back-track from Damascus to the start and then re-hike the same trail again, if at all possible.

All input is appreciated...whether it's positive or not.....let me hear it.
Thanks,

Lizard

HighLiner
02-07-2015, 08:28
That's a lot of miles and a lot of jerky. Seems rather ambitious. Good luck.

scudder
02-07-2015, 08:37
Ambitious to say the least, but it has been done .Not sure if sundries includes a hat, light source,lighter, and some warm clothing, but I'd recommend bringing them along.
I'll suggest that if you were to hike from the Rt 60 crossing by Buena Vista to Reeds gap in a day (36 miles), and afterwards feel you could do it every day for three weeks, then you have a shot at achieving your goal. I'd allow 2 days for the test run just in case your pace is below your goal. Good luck.

Slo-go'en
02-07-2015, 11:30
The bulk of the thru hikers don't start to get into Virginia until early to mid May. That is the reason Trail days in Damascus is the 2nd week of May.

April tends to be a rainy month and rain can really slow you down. Lots of people can pull an occasional 30 mile day. Some can do two 30 mile days back to back. Few can do consistent 30 miles days for 18 days in a row. That's really something you have to train hard for before hand to pull off. What happens if after the first or second 30 mile day you have massive blisters? And a 28 pound pack is pretty heavy for someone trying to do 30 mile days, plus your going to need a lot of food.

Since you really haven't backpacked for some years, why not just take it easy? Three weeks at a more modest and realistic pace will still cover 1/2 to 2/3ds of the state, be less stressful and have a much lower risk of your hurting yourself. Kick it into high gear when the mood and terrain permit it, but otherwise take it easy.

Rain Man
02-07-2015, 11:58
I'd like to hear opinions on if it's possible to section hike Virginia S to N in less than 21 days.
I haven't backpacked or really trail hiked in years .... I need to push the 31 mile mark to complete it in 18 days.... Is this even possible? ... be dropped off by the church in NC ....

All input is appreciated...whether it's positive or not.....let me hear it.

Short answer is no and hell no. You asked for it. There might be a handful of experienced, conditioned hikers who could do that, but not a normal guy or gal. By "handful" I mean you could count them on one hand.

Anyway, that's my opinion, worth every cent you paid for it and not worth the paper it's not written on. LOL

I agree with the comment to take it easy and enjoy the trail and environs. But you hike your own hike. I only butted in because you pleaded. LOL

Rain Man

hikernutcasey
02-07-2015, 12:29
I agree with Rainman. Very ambitious indeed.

johnnybgood
02-07-2015, 13:11
Well howdy neighbor, we're a growing contingent on this forum . My two cents ; why not enjoy the scenery and forget about rushing it, besides there really isn't much on the way of scenery north of Shenandoah Nat'l Park. Virginia has stretches of tough trail to hike and you're setting yourself for possible injury if pushing it.

Cookerhiker
02-07-2015, 13:55
I think it's too ambitious. When you say you're "athletic," are you aerobically fit? If so, that's a good starting point but consider the jolt to your body from a 31 mile day pace out-of-the-box. I'm talking feet, knees, quads, lower back. What about resupply? Virginia is not an easy place to resupply, especially west of I-81 and along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Unless you have someone meet you at road crossings, you'll either spend precious time getting to town or you'll be forced to carry a heavier pack to minimize resupply stops.

Virginia has frequent steep ups and downs and stretches of rough footing. No matter how athletic you are, the 3 miles from Bailey Gap shelter is a horrendous rockfield which will slow you down, and there are other rocky stretches as well.

I suggest a more leisurely pace.

Praha4
02-07-2015, 20:23
before I ever hiked the AT, I remember some hikers telling me "Virginia is easy". That was the biggest lie I think I've ever heard on the AT. Lots of climbs, lots of rocky ridgelines that go on for many miles. Sure in southern VA there are occasional farm pastures the trail crosses that are not hard, and very scenic. But most of VA is no cakewalk, and resupply is often a challenge.

(now that I think about it, there was a bigger lie....somebody told me once the mud in Vermont is not bad).

I agree with everyone else here, take your time and enjoy the hike. Starting out too fast will bring on foot blisters and injuries.

Mountain Bluebird
02-07-2015, 21:16
Rainman is right. I won't say it can't be done, but I will say your plan is too ambitious and assumes NOTHING goes wrong or gets in the way. You can't afford a zero day; also, you must do 30 miles on a rainy day--dawn to dusk. To get a sense of what that feels like, try walking 30 miles on a rainy day in the city/where you live.

River Lizard
02-07-2015, 22:30
Thanks for the input all....I'll do a realistic test run next month and see how many miles I can get in with a 30 lb BP for 2 days. I'm sure you're right that it's going to be near impossible.

Appreciate the honest input and suggestions.

lemon b
02-08-2015, 01:21
Not me thats for sure. Even in my prime.

juma
02-08-2015, 19:30
Look for where you might have stress/blister points on your feet when you do your pilot hike - tape those points with leukotape when you launch on the real thing. this will prevent most blisters. make sure your shoes are at least 1.5 size larger than normal size-don't disbelieve this point. Carry plenty of pain killer and take it at noon every day and maybe at bedtime. I think if you can beat the blisters and joint pain, you can make a pretty big dent in it and maybe make it. try to get that pack down to 20-22 pounds. Arrange for one new pair of shoes and several pair of socks at the mid-point. make sure you have underwear/pants that protect from inside the thigh rub.

Malto
02-08-2015, 20:03
Highly unlikely if not downright impossible in your situation. The chances of you getting off the couch and doing that mileage day after day is close to zero. It can be done but those folks that can know they can and don't need to ask if its possible.

Just get on the trail and hike then see how far you get.

fiddlehead
02-08-2015, 20:16
Can be done by some.
But, I can pretty much guarantee that those who have done it did not carry a trowel, 2 pair of shorts or 2 towels.
And what's with all the jerky?

Get your pack weight down to half of what you say, and a few back to back 30 mile per day practice hikes and then, if nothing goes wrong, (injuries, weather, floods, etc) you may have a slight chance.

bigcranky
02-08-2015, 20:35
The trail will be crowded in the southern part of the state, but at that pace you'll leave them behind pretty fast. May is better for weather and temps.

Shorts and a t-shirt to hike in, something dry to sleep in. Rain shell. Nylon ball cap. Two pairs of socks, one to hike and one to sleep. Light fleece pullover. You won't need a lot of clothing as you'll either be hiking or sleeping.

Carry less than a liter of water at a time, camel up at springs and streams (one of those bottles with a built-in filter is pretty fast). Other gear: Hammock, tarp, 3/4 length closed cell foam pad for bottom insulation and a ground pad when needed. (Trust me on this.) Foot care items. Painkillers (check with your doc). Some way of hanging your food bag - losing it to critters will be a disaster.

Is the beef jerky the only food you will have from Damascus to Rockfish Gap? Um, at 31 miles per day you'll need 6000 or more calories per day. That's a lot of food weight. Most of it will need to be cold (noncook) food, as you won't have time to cook meals, and that's heavier, but saves the weight of a stove and fuel.

As the others have said, this is a lot to pull off. You'll know as soon as you do your test hike if it'll work.

Malto
02-08-2015, 21:05
One more thought. Malto's First rule of Mileage. Go day hike with full combat load on similar terrain as your hike. Take that mileage and multiply by 2/3rds. That is the mileage you can reasonably expect to achieve in your opening weeks of a long hike. In your case if you are targeting 30mpd, you should be able to knock off a 45 mile day and be able to walk the next day. I know quite a few hikers that are capable of doing 30+mpd and all of them could do a 45+ mile day if they chose to do so.

this will help you as you do a couple of training hikes. If you find you top out at 30 miles for a day hike then you can then plan to average about 20mpd and adjust accordingly.

If you are serious about attempting this I would suggest reading through the journal below. it documents the training I did prehike where I learned many lessons on various breaking points such as fuel or electrolytes. The link is to the stats page (http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=bc4328220ff39746ea88fa3272d94e 4a&entry_id=26640) from my hike. it may be interesting for you to see what mileage is actually needed in order to achieve an average such as 30mpd. It is more complex than simple math. Also, make sure to read this entry (http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=bc4328220ff39746ea88fa3272d94e 4a&entry_id=27590)

saltysack
02-08-2015, 21:50
If u want to knock off a state or two....why not do Ga, Nc or Tn.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Side
02-09-2015, 23:51
Go attempt a 30 mile day hike this weekend, that will give you a good idea of what to expect

Just Bill
02-10-2015, 00:35
One more thought. Malto's First rule of Mileage. Go day hike with full combat load on similar terrain as your hike. Take that mileage and multiply by 2/3rds. That is the mileage you can reasonably expect to achieve in your opening weeks of a long hike. In your case if you are targeting 30mpd, you should be able to knock off a 45 mile day and be able to walk the next day. I know quite a few hikers that are capable of doing 30+mpd and all of them could do a 45+ mile day if they chose to do so.

Very strongly second this rule. (though I still like my version using 3/4 of your super day :) )

Another excellent rule- If you are asking the question, the answer is probably no.

That said- your south to north plan is excellent. Once you get closer to Waynesboro it is easier to get on/off the trail. So GO FOR IT! But if it's a bust, at least it will be easy to pick up the trail again and finish out the state when it works out for you. you can hop the train and start at Harper's Ferry next go around and hike south.

If you're really off the couch (non-runner, non-hiker) you may consider north to south, others can verify but I believe that's the gentler direction. HF to Shennies is a decent stretch in terms of difficulty, but the 100 or so miles in the park are pretty smooth to get you through the first week jitters and skitters while you warm up.

RED-DOG
02-10-2015, 11:19
it has always taken me 30 days to do VA ad that's with zero days with a 30lb pack now I am not saying it can't be done just not by a inexperienced hiker.

colorado_rob
02-10-2015, 13:26
I'd have to agree with the standard WB nay-sayers on this one, nearly impossible for a relative rookie (sorry). But what's magic about "doing Virginia", meaning why not just start at Damascus, a fine place to start, head NOBO and simply enjoy 21 days? Fine, fine terrain. Maybe if you're really fast you'll make it up in and into Shenandoah NP, another cool place.

I loved VA, thought it was fantastic (but l-o-n-g-long!)

BTW: if you want to do long trail days, you'll probably need lots of carbs. Jerky is awesome and tasty, but doesn't fuel the bloodstream very well for energy.

RockDoc
02-10-2015, 16:46
A very experienced friend and I did Thornton Gap to Damascus in about 23 days straight (no zero days). I called it a "Graduate Level" hike. It was very tough, would likely have been impossible for beginners. We averaged 20+ miles/day and the days were very full; early start and late finish. Going up and down stuff like the Priest!
I wouldn't want to repeat the experience.

lemon b
02-10-2015, 18:58
Another question to ask is why? Like others have said this has been done. For me I kinda like to stop and smell the flowers once in awhile. Also at my age I like to rest and avoid over use injury. You certainly shouldn't feel like you have anything to prove. I get it in the setting personal goals and going for it department. But anyway you cut it to make this type of force march work some serious shake down hikes are in order first. Think about your feet, make sure what your wearing is totally dialed in and my experience has shown that the correct sock is as important as the boot. Plus as others have mentioned the weather is out of your control. Also Just Bill was right on the money with his suggestion of South to North to give you a chance to get the legs under you. My experience is trail legs come from hiking not jogging 15 to 20 miles a day. Although if your going to go that route I think trail running or would be the way to go.