PDA

View Full Version : Gear suggestions

randy grider
02-08-2015, 10:35
Any suggestions on a ankle support boot, and good ,light pack in 2200-2500 cu in size. I got an invite from a friend to hike around 100 miles of the AT in VA this sept. Im in pretty good shape on gear, except my pack is a 2200 cu in hunting pack made by badlands, which is of neccessity heavy. Since im not going to be packing out an elk, i thought i could save a few pounds. It was big enough for a bivy hunt, so im sticking with that size. My boots also are more for rugged mountain climbing, and thought i could save some weight there as well. Any suggestions on pants, shirts, and rain suits are appreciated as well. My first post here, so thanks in advance !

Turtle-2013
02-08-2015, 11:05
Greetings, I have several thoughts related to your post ... but my first thought is that is you need ankle support, don't skimp too much on the boots in order to save weight. I'm a section hiker and have hiked in everything from "barefoot" trail shoes, to trail runners, to leather LLBean boots, to my old HEAVY Dunham boots from the 70's. And while I often choose which to bring based on my perception of what the trail will be like, more often than not I end up using my full leather LLBean boots. They provide optimal ankle and toe protection, sole and arch support, while being a reasonable weight. I'm NOT recommending a particular boot, I am suggesting that saving too much weight on the boots MIGHT be counter-productive IF you need ankle support.

As to the pack ... I think packs, like boots, are really a very personal preference. I hike lightweight (base weight 10.5 # plus cell phone and something to recharge it with) ... and REALLY like my Go-Lite JAM 50 ... may be hard to find now since GoLite is currently not in business). It is a lightweight pack without being ultralight, and hold as much as packs twice it's weight. It would NOT be a good choice however if you intend to hike heavier. In the 70's I hiked with a 6.5#, 6000 cu in pack ... never again :D

I hope you find some of that useful.... happy trails, rs

Connie
02-08-2015, 12:23
REI Flash 45 Pack looks good. Marked down for 2015 fashion colors, I suppose, at $89 it looks like a good buy.

http://m.rei.com/product/863031/rei-flash-45-pack-special-buy/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-8630310002&mr:trackingCode=3EE179B0-6C5B-E411-AF04-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=m&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=55518619600&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=68533173640&msid=YWPwa1Sx_dm%7Cpcrid%7C55518619600%7C

This is a 45 liter pack. The REI Flash 45 has side compression straps.

36 liter - 40 liter is the volume you requested.

Sirsnappy09
02-08-2015, 12:30
Connie is right- I know some guys with the flash and they are happy with it. There is an tri 60l pack on the used gear forum for 50$. It's bigger but actually is a nice pack with good weight and cinches a small load so will carry smaller loads well.

Connie
02-08-2015, 16:12
Here is some help for ankles:
http://www.csuchico.edu/~sbarker/injury/ankle/ankle_rehab.pdf

fastfoxengineering
02-08-2015, 16:21
I just bought an REI Flash 45 a few days ago. It is however the 2015 model in lime green, not the black 2014 model. I was going to buy the old one fore $90, but ended up spending $110 on the 2015 model. There were some design changes, for the better in my opinion. I actually preferred the black pack, but the 2015 model felt better on me. The frame sheet is a different mold, the trekking pole loops are different, and the pack straps are different. Probably a little few other things too.

Anyways, I've yet to take it hiking, but it feels pretty good. I think it's gonna be my go to pack for a while until I get my cuben. muahahah

The 2015 is also listed as an ounce or two lighter than the 2014. I have yet to weigh mine. But.. I think they listed it at 34oz. And there's deff a few ounces to be shaved off with excess length in straps, the hydration bladder, some quick key clip holder things, etc. I believe I can get the flash down under two pounds. I just won't cut anything off till I use it a few times in case I have to return it.

Anyways. Solid pack at $130 full price, a steal at less than $100. Can't do any better unless you hit the used market. And even then, you won't find Ohm 2.0 for $100.

Sirsnappy09
02-08-2015, 16:28
There is a granite gear blaze ac 60 pack at prolite gear for 100$ right now also. Vapor trail on the used forums for 90.

theoilman
02-08-2015, 17:16
Shoes / Boots -- find yourself a good, preferably independent, outfitter. Most will have a very good footwear expert. Explain carefully your foot needs, your foot-ankle history. Let him/her size you, try on the several recommendations. Be prepared to spend an hour (or more). If they won't spend the time, you are NOT in the right shop. They should have an incline ramp for you to walk on - up, down and sideways. Get the sock recommendations, try on the shoes with the socks, also.

I did all this, and I got Vasque Breeze (mid height boots) with Smartwool socks, I also use Injinge toe socks. I have had a history of many ankle sprains, and these provide me the support that even if I completely turn over an ankle, I can get up, make the next step, and never have any pain or additional problems. BUT what works for me may not for you, it is a very individual choice.

Havana
02-08-2015, 19:13
For boots, as theoilman suggests, hit a reliable retailer (something equivalent to REI or EMS) and try some on. I like a full boot for hiking (mostly because I have this annoying habit of kicking myself in the ankle, partly because of "support" issues"). I tried a bunch and purchased the Oboz Wind River II. I only have one multi-day hike and a couple of day hikes in them but so far I like them. They did require some stretching by the outfitter to create room for my little toe but so far they're working out well. Also like theoilman I use Smartwool socks with the Injinji toe liners.

For a pack I have an Osprey Kestrel that served me well over many hikes (2,900 ci though I think they also count the external storage). I currently use an Zpacks ArcBlast but can get away with that because my gear is pretty light. If I had to carry a heavier load, something pushing 30-35 pounds, I'd go with my Kestrel. The REI packs also get solid ratings.

gbolt
02-08-2015, 19:51
A lot of ankle problems are the result of a decrease in Proprioreception (were your body is in a space). High ankle boots help press from the outside and help nerve sensors fire when the ankle starts to twist or roll. This causes a counterbalance response and the foot - ankle - leg react and stop the movement and resulting "Sprain". Whether one chooses Boots or Trail Runners, don't forget to train and improve your propriorectors.

The easiest way to do this is to stand up on one leg, while putting on or taking off the sock and shoe of the opposite leg. We all do this at least twice a day (more if your wife won't let you wear shoes in the house rofl) and can reduce or risk of ankle issues greatly. When u get good at this, add a small block of wood under your foot and or a pillow that doesn't fully compress under your weight.

A pack affects ankle stability because it shifts the upper body center of core balance to a different point that an individual is not use to. Again, standing on one leg and then the other with a pack on; may decrease risk of ankle issues, no matter what shoes are chosen.

Just my 2 cents, if it helps.