PDA

View Full Version : upcoming FNST section day hikes

perrymk
02-08-2015, 16:31
I plan on hiking the Bull Creek WMA Thursday-Friday, then the Three Lakes WMA at some future date, hopefully in the next few weeks.

These are southbound hikes of 8-13 miles each (depends on trail access points). If anyone is interested in joining, please PM. In the interest of full disclosure, my main motivation is someone to help with the shuttles. From the maps it looks like the shuttle distances will be kind of far, even with my electric bicycle.

perrymk
02-10-2015, 12:42
I jut spoke with a ranger from the Three Lakes WMA. It seems there is a reasonably well maintained road through the area although it has a gate somewhere in the middle. This just went from a long shuttle (40+ miles) and a long hike to short shuttles (about 10 miles) and two moderate length hikes. Yay!

WingedMonkey
02-10-2015, 13:27
There are two WMA's in that section of the Florida Trail. Three Lake WMA and the smaller Prairie Lakes WMA that sits in the middle of Three Lakes.

Prairie Lakes was an add on that was going to be a state park or state forest but never saw the funding. It's a beautiful section with large oak hammocks and nice shade. It is also the area that has three loop trails of the FT. Be alert to blazes and signs (if they are still up) as the white sand trail and the white sand jeep trails crossing it and the loop intersections can make this area confusing.

The entrance road is a shell rock maintained road that runs from CR 523 (Canoe Creek Road) to SR 60 and also shares the trail entrance/exit at the very south end. On the Three Lake WMA map there is a STAR that shows where the gate you are referring to is located. Supposedly the gate is open when there are not hunt dates.

Three Lakes hunting detail and map link;
http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/ne/three-lakes/

Prairie Lakes hunting details and map link;
http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/ne/prairie-lakes-unit/

perrymk
02-14-2015, 16:27
Well, I made it home. Most of the trail was flooded so I hiked in Tevas much of the way. Big mistake. The blisters formed by the straps soon tore off and now I pretty much have 2-3 ulcers on each foot. I came around the corner and almost tripped over this guy. He’s about 8 feet long and probably as big around as I am. Photo taken as I scurried away.

They were hardly noticeable as I kept coming across wildlife up close and personal. Once again I am reminded I am part of the food chain, and not the top part.

For some reason I am unable to upload a photo of a gator I almost tripped over as I came around a corner. He was about 8 feet long and about as big around as I am.