PDA

View Full Version : jerky recipe

pickNgrin
02-08-2015, 19:26
I thought that I would share my jerky recipe that I like very much. it is great using lean beef or deer. If you use beef, get a very lean cut with minimal marbling… brisket works good. Deer or course is naturally lean. You want to remove all fat and then cut the meat into thin strips. After that, put it in a gallon ziplock with:

1 BOTTLE SOY SAUCE
2 TSP COURSE GROUND BLACK PEPPER
1 TSP GROUND RED CAYENNE PEPPER
1 TSP GARLIC POWDER
1 TSP ONION POWDER
1 TSP A1 SAUCE
1/2 CUP FIRMLY PACKED BROWN SUGAR

and put it in the refrigerator at least overnight and up to a day. Then put a toothpick through the end of each strip and hang them from the upper rack in your oven. Put some foil underneath to catch the drippings. Put the oven on 170 and prop the door ajar to let the moisture escape. Cook for about 7 hours.

ocasey3
02-08-2015, 21:32
How many pounds of meat did you use?

ratamahattayou
02-08-2015, 21:35
Looks good, thanks for the pics!

Mater.

pickNgrin
02-08-2015, 22:29
How many pounds of meat did you use?

This would be for a few pounds of meat. It isn't too critical… as long as there is enough marinade to cover it all. If you have too little meat it won't hurt anything… you'll just have leftover marinade. And as long as the meat will fit into the gallon ziplock then there should be enough marinade to cover it all. It is a good idea to knead the bag a couple of times while it is in the fridge.

Slack-jawed Trog
02-12-2015, 22:20
Thanks for sharing it. It seems like a nice recipe, and easy enough. How does it store (for how long), and how do you store it?

pickNgrin
02-13-2015, 01:15
Thanks for sharing it. It seems like a nice recipe, and easy enough. How does it store (for how long), and how do you store it?

Honestly a batch has never lasted more than a week or two, because it gets eaten up. Any longer than that and I would probably put it in some freezer bags and put it in the freezer until I am ready to use it.

jupiterkn
02-18-2015, 22:29
Love this

Will try that

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gray Bear
03-13-2015, 09:01
This is very similar to the recipe I used except I substitute soy sauce Braggs Liquid Aminos and add a little Worcestershire sauce. I have to make twice as much as I will need and I cant make it more than 2 days prior to the trip or its gone

I thought that I would share my jerky recipe that I like very much. it is great using lean beef or deer. If you use beef, get a very lean cut with minimal marbling… brisket works good. Deer or course is naturally lean. You want to remove all fat and then cut the meat into thin strips. After that, put it in a gallon ziplock with:

1 BOTTLE SOY SAUCE
2 TSP COURSE GROUND BLACK PEPPER
1 TSP GROUND RED CAYENNE PEPPER
1 TSP GARLIC POWDER
1 TSP ONION POWDER
1 TSP A1 SAUCE
1/2 CUP FIRMLY PACKED BROWN SUGAR

and put it in the refrigerator at least overnight and up to a day. Then put a toothpick through the end of each strip and hang them from the upper rack in your oven. Put some foil underneath to catch the drippings. Put the oven on 170 and prop the door ajar to let the moisture escape. Cook for about 7 hours.

RockDoc
03-27-2015, 15:26
Good stuff, but leave out the sugar to avoid the unhealthy insulin response and other negative health results.