PDA

View Full Version : GG Gorilla or ZP Arc Blast?

Gray Bear
02-09-2015, 08:15
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my next pack and I've narrowed is down to these two. My main objective is weight reduction. my current pack is a Granite Gear Leopard 58 (just over 3#). I'm not a UL guy but I'm moving in that direction. Last season my average pack weight was right around 28-30# with food water and camera gear. I've shed some weight with my TT Notch and I see a quilt in my future as well. My goal is to have total weight under #25 or more.

The Arc Blast is a bit lighter, a few bucks more, pretty basic. My concern is durability and comfort. The Gorilla looks to be more durable, possibly more comfortable but I'm not sure about the volume, it may be too small.

has anyone used both of these by chance? pro and cons to them?

Dochartaigh
02-09-2015, 10:23
I know some other peoples thoughts are going to differ than mine (and they should be listened to as well as I'm sure they have more experience hiking than me), but I don't think either pack is going to be ideal at 25 pounds for a long haul. Both packs are really for the ultralight crowd, which means 10 pound and under base weight. Even with 2 liters of water and 5 days worth of food (4.5 pounds for water + ~1.25 pound per day for food) you're at around 20 pounds as an ultralighter, and that is going to quickly drop as you go through your consumables.

I had the GG Gorilla (my first "ultralight" pack) and quickly returned it. The problem is although it has a quote-on-quote "frame", it only runs on the far left and right sides of the pack (and across the top). This means that the only thing in the entire middle of the back of the pack (that your back presses against) is a flimsy piece of foam to hold any sort of shape of the pack. And unless your gear inside can be perfectly packed as a solid non-lumpy mass (not possible in my experience), the back of the pack is going to bow-out and be uncomfortable (even with my <9 pounds base weight + 2 days food). I honestly don't know how people use these packs comfortably (tried my buddies Ohm 2.0 as well and found it worked similarly), as they're really stretching the bounds calling them a framed pack – they feel just the same as a frameless pack to me, although the "frame/stay" of the Gorilla hopefully transfers weight to the hips a little better.

So after I tried those two packs, I bought a ZPacks Arc Blast custom-sized to me (I'm a big guy so this was a bonus – getting a pack that actually fit my larger frame in every regard - with my 23" torso was wonderful). Completely different feel. This one actually has a frame, albeit a super-light decently-rigid frame. How it's designed the entire back is a mesh panel, so not only does this let your back breathe, but it makes the entire back of the pack rigid (i.e. a frame), with just enough flex to conform to your back. So in other words this super-light pack has a diesel frame that actually works similarly to the 3-4+ pound packs. I’m a big fan...but again, I'm just getting back into backpacking for the first time in years and years so take my advice with a grain of salt (albeit a grain of salt from an otherwise experienced guy with a good eye for gear ;)

On a side note, I also picked up an Osprey Exos 58 in large size. Runs exactly 2.5 pounds (with the top lid removed), and is more of a traditional pack design (although lighter than most packs like that). To my surprise, and I don’t know which came first, but the back panel is pretty darn close in design to the ZPacks Arc Blast (both use a frame around all the edges, with a piece of mesh pulled taunt. If you’re not quite ready for a true ultralight pack, this might be a great transitional pack for you. I believe the smaller size Exos are right at 2 pounds or 32 ounces (and for the record my GG Gorilla with Large pack and hip belt weighed in at 32 ounces so depending on your size they’re pretty close to each other).

Frye
02-09-2015, 11:20
You are pushing the upper limits on the Arc Blast. I think it's rated at 30, but I've been told that it starts to become uncomfortable in the mid to upper 20's.

I can't speak for the Gorilla, I don't remember how it carried when I used one for a weekend. I also seem to recall having some complaint about it (maybe the straps?) but can't seem to put my finger on exactly what it was.

If I had to choose between those two I'd go with Zpacks.

I don't really like recommending packs, but I will say HMG might be a company to look at. They tend to carry weight very well in my experience.

soumodeler
02-09-2015, 11:43
I do not like it when I carry over 25lbs with my ZPacks ArcBlast. I love it when it is around 20 though. They do say it is rated for 30, but I would not want to test the durability for longer periods with that much weight.

Gray Bear
02-13-2015, 07:10
I'm seriously thinking about the Hyperlite Mountain Gear 55L Southwest. its a bit more than I want to spend but looks really nice. Does anyone here have any experience with them?

mapman
02-13-2015, 07:42
I have the Arc Blast 52 and have carried 28 # comfortably. I would have no reservation with this pack maxing at 30#. Very comfortable pack in my opinion and can't beat the weight.

Frye
02-13-2015, 10:10
I'm seriously thinking about the Hyperlite Mountain Gear 55L Southwest. its a bit more than I want to spend but looks really nice. Does anyone here have any experience with them?

It's pretty much a larger version of my pack with solid pockets instead of mesh. (I have a windrider 2400) I love the pack, it's without question my personal favorite. I would add though that if you plan on hiking the AT that you might want to consider the windrider instead of the southwest. Mesh pockets do wonders for drying stuff.

Customer service at HMG is top notch also.

Gray Bear
02-13-2015, 10:52
It's pretty much a larger version of my pack with solid pockets instead of mesh. (I have a windrider 2400) I love the pack, it's without question my personal favorite. I would add though that if you plan on hiking the AT that you might want to consider the windrider instead of the southwest. Mesh pockets do wonders for drying stuff.

Customer service at HMG is top notch also.

I'm glad to hear you're happy with your pack. how long have you had it? Is it holding up well?

I'm not a thru hiker but I'm local to the White's in NH and I do a fair bit of off trail bushwhacking so I'm thinking the SW will be less snag prone. I'm temped to get the 40L but the weight savings over the 55L isn't all that much.

Frye
02-13-2015, 13:17
I'm glad to hear you're happy with your pack. how long have you had it? Is it holding up well?

I'm not a thru hiker but I'm local to the White's in NH and I do a fair bit of off trail bushwhacking so I'm thinking the SW will be less snag prone. I'm temped to get the 40L but the weight savings over the 55L isn't all that much.

Well it's cuben so don't expect the durability of some of the more robust fabrics but it's tougher then the Arcblast. Reinforced bottom, tougher shoulder straps, waste belt and I think the mesh is thicker also. As long as you're not running through a forest of tiny dead pine trees I doubt you'd have to worry much about the mesh on the windrider. It seems really robust.

There's a weight penalty for the HMG pack over the Arcblast but that's just the price you pay for a longer lasting pack. Both are great designs though.

LogHiking
02-13-2015, 13:28
A potentially relevant piece of info is zpacks has started working with dyneema and will likely be releasing dyneema arc blast and zip (prototypes being tested now). I'm having a similar consideration to OP but between Arc Zip and MLD exodus. Depending on weight an Arc Zip in dyneema may be compromise I'm looking for.

Info gathered from this link and its corresponding thread on BPL http://hikinginfinland.com/2015/02/new-gear-from-the-cottages-2015.html

q-tip
02-14-2015, 13:04
You might lok at the granite gear crown vc. Total with cuben hip pockets 32 oz. Holds 60L and is solid as a rock. Not totally comfortable, but the best of my five packs.

Gray Bear
02-14-2015, 13:11
You might lok at the granite gear crown vc. Total with cuben hip pockets 32 oz. Holds 60L and is solid as a rock. Not totally comfortable, but the best of my five packs.

I've got the Granite Gear Leopard 58 now and I love it but at 49oz its not as light as I'd like.

MuddyWaters
02-14-2015, 15:00
With the arc blast, think of 25-27 lb being the MAX weight you want to carry, not the average.
Unless you are carrying lightwt gear, you will likely be happier with a conventional pack.

LogHiking
02-14-2015, 15:26
I got word zpacks will have some info on their new 40lb carrying pack on the site on Monday. I saw a couple pics and it looks really nice.

Gray Bear
02-15-2015, 05:12
I got word zpacks will have some info on their new 40lb carrying pack on the site on Monday. I saw a couple pics and it looks really nice.

Grerat info! thanks!

SteelCut
02-15-2015, 08:12

I have the HMG 3400 Windrider. Not the same model as what you are asking about, but all their packs are essentially the same with different exterior accessories and varying heights of the bag to achieve the larger sizing.

The pack is rated up to 40 lbs. I've intentionally loaded it to 30 pounds (carried some of the wife's gear and food) and it is extremely comfortable with no deformation that I could tell. And at a more normal 20 lbs I don't even notice that I have the pack on.

LAF
02-15-2015, 11:53
I have the HMG 3400 Windrider. Not the same model as what you are asking about, but all their packs are essentially the same with different exterior accessories and varying heights of the bag to achieve the larger sizing.

The pack is rated up to 40 lbs. I've intentionally loaded it to 30 pounds (carried some of the wife's gear and food) and it is extremely comfortable with no deformation that I could tell. And at a more normal 20 lbs I don't even notice that I have the pack on.

I have the 2400 windrider; been using it for a while now. Love the pack. I have on occasion loaded it heavy as well (30lbs+) and never had a problem with it. And as SteelCut said, when you're in the range of 20 lbs it's like nothing there. Will be using this pack for a thru hike attempt of the Pinhoti Trail -> BMT -> AT.

But like most anything, ask a thousand hikers their opinion on gear and you'll get 1000 different opinions. This pack just works for me, may not for someone else.

Del Q
02-15-2015, 17:29
I have an Osprey Exos 58, great pack..........issue for me is that I had lower back surgery 4 months ago and cannot tolerate the pad hitting my sternum.

Purchased an Arc Blast, GREAT QUALITY and attention to detail.......only issue for me is the shoulder straps rub against my neck. Sending it back this week, Joe said he would fix it for me.

I will be below 30lbs for my next hike and I think that this pack should do fine. Time will tell, never know how gear is really going to work until you get out there.

soumodeler
02-15-2015, 17:34
Purchased an Arc Blast, GREAT QUALITY and attention to detail.......only issue for me is the shoulder straps rub against my neck. Sending it back this week, Joe said he would fix it for me.

I have the same problem with my 52L ArcBlast. I ended up ordering a new one (60L- wanted the larger size regardless) and asked for the straps to be moved further apart. I hear this complaint fairly often. Seems like they should offer that as a standard choice- narrow or wide shoulder strap placement.

Gray Bear
02-18-2015, 18:36
GG Gorilla, ZPacks Arc Blast or HLM Southwest. Its nice having all these smaller companies to choose from but sometimes I wish I could go to REI or EMS and try one on.

SteelCut
02-18-2015, 18:50
Most of these companies have good return policies that let you return an unused pack for a full refund within a specific time period. Also, I would think that being in New Hampshire, you should be able to get to a good outfitter and try on a bunch of different packs to find which ones you like. I would doubt that they would have a ZPacks but most good outfitters would have a sufficient number of other brands of packs for you to get a better idea of what types of packs feel good for you body and may be able to even suggest some that may not have been mentioned in this thread.

Swordpen
03-20-2015, 23:47
I have a Zpacks ArcBlast 45L. I've put 26# in it without any problem/ discomfort - I am an old lady too ;) (3 days food, Big Agnes Copper Spur 1P, Montbell 15 deg Super Spiral bag, NeoAir, Zrest pad, 3 liters of water, clothes, pillow, ditty bag, folder knife, Monocular, GPS, compass, maps etc). This is a terrific pack. I hike in the desert & it hasn't gotten punctured by nearly invisible sage catclaw on the desert floor.

Like any expensive pack, treat it nicely (don't throw it off the side of a mountain). If you need to side backpacks down a rocky hill, you need Maxpedition backpacks.

Little
03-28-2015, 18:13
I was just trying to decide between the GG Gorilla or zpacks Arc Blast and I decided on the Arc Haul by zpacks. I don't think it is listed on the their website yet, but you can email them and get a link to check it out. I placed an order for it but have not received it yet.

Rex Clifton
03-28-2015, 18:39
I have the Gorilla and really like it. My base weight when I use the Gorilla is around 13 pounds and I can get around 3 days of food in it, maxing out at around 22-24 pounds. For an ultralight pack, the frame is pretty rigid and I've not had any of the issues regarding the frame stated earlier Its a narrow pack however, only 11 inches, so you do need to pack it carefully. It carries very well and is the most comfortable pack I have ever owned. I also have a ULA Circuit and I take that if I need to carry more stuff.

JasonByers
04-19-2015, 20:48
I had the last version of the gorilla and now a 52l arc blast. As far as comfort I think they are pretty equal...the arc blast might have a slim advantage because of the back venting but otherwise pretty equal. I can carry around 20lbs in each pack fairly comfortably but much above that I start to feel it in my shoulders after about a half day. I love both packs and I'm sorry I sold the gorilla! However...I know you wasn't looking for advise on other packs but I'm really impressed with ULA packs! I have a circuit and even though the weight of the pack is more the comfort is way better for me above 20lbs vs the arc blast. Sorry to throw that in but I felt it was worth mentioning!