PDA

View Full Version : Capilene vs Techwick

fastfoxengineering
02-09-2015, 13:27
So I'm in the market for some new long underwear. I've settled on some lightweight synthetic bottoms for sleeping in and extra insulation when needed. I was pretty set on going with the "industry standard" Patagonia Capilene 2 lightweight bottoms. However, I just discovered I have $50 credit to Eastern Mountain Sports.

How do the EMS Techwick 1 Lightweight bottoms compare to Capilene 2?

Would you recommend one or the other? The EMS T1 stuff is on sale right now and I can get the bottoms for about $27, no cash out of my pocket.

mattjv89
02-09-2015, 14:33
Well I have a lot of experience with the Techwick stuff, can't comment much on the Capilene but as far as I can tell they are both polyester fabrics with some small differences including the brand name. Patagonia might tell you that theirs is certified organic humanely raised polyester.

The Techwick stuff worked well for me, I have a couple tops that are affordable, breathable and quick drying. Like all polyester they get an incredible stink going after a while which is the reason I'm slowly switching over to merino, but that's really the only downside I've experienced.

Just Bill
02-09-2015, 14:42
Long undie bottoms... who cares really. If you aren't going in the winter, at best you will use them for one month outta a six month hike. If that...

If you run really cold, you might use them more. being in Vermont it might make sense to own a nice pair but I worked in Duofold and other store brand cheapies for many years with no complaints. If you don't need anything at EMS- get their undies.

For an AT thru- I'd rather invest in a nice wind pant over long undies- at EMS you may be able to get both for $50 and they will be good enough.
If you plan to wear them for many winters I'd second investing in Merino as well before buying a Cap pair. I like Cap on top because the Merino gets beat up easy, in a pant though I'd go that route if I was spending money. But typically I just switch to my winter skirt :)

fastfoxengineering
02-09-2015, 14:53
Long undie bottoms... who cares really. If you aren't going in the winter, at best you will use them for one month outta a six month hike. If that...

If you run really cold, you might use them more. being in Vermont it might make sense to own a nice pair but I worked in Duofold and other store brand cheapies for many years with no complaints. If you don't need anything at EMS- get their undies.

For an AT thru- I'd rather invest in a nice wind pant over long undies- at EMS you may be able to get both for $50 and they will be good enough.
If you plan to wear them for many winters I'd second investing in Merino as well before buying a Cap pair. I like Cap on top because the Merino gets beat up easy, in a pant though I'd go that route if I was spending money. But typically I just switch to my winter skirt :)

I do own a pair of Smartwool Midweight bottoms. I don't want to bring them on my thru though. Very warm and I'd rather not beat them up on a thru hike. I like em for hunting in Maine. After all, they are merino wool.

I'll go the ems lightweight route. I don't think I need/want mid weights for an AT nobo hike. I don't run cold, and when it's cold at camp its time to get in the sleeping bag.

Ender
02-09-2015, 14:57
I've found that for me, after years of using both, that the Techwick seems to collect odors much more quickly and strongly. My TW shirts stink a lot faster than my Cap shirts. YMMV though.

gbolt
02-09-2015, 22:33
I have Silkweight Capiline Tops and Bottoms from 15 to 20 years ago. I recently purchased Capiine 2's, mainly to sleep in. However, I couldn't resist hiking in them to see if they were warmer than the Silkweights that I normally wear. The Cap 2's where to hot underneath hiking pants in temperature under 20*. Just wearing exoficios my cheeks chaffed and sweat added to the discomfort. I"ll spare you the details! :eek: However, the Cap 2's may be to chilly to sleep in; not sure and haven't tested as of yet. Bottom line, if hiking in these, than go with the Teckwick Just Bill gave sound advice.

Offshore
02-10-2015, 08:15
I've found that for me, after years of using both, that the Techwick seems to collect odors much more quickly and strongly. My TW shirts stink a lot faster than my Cap shirts. YMMV though.

Washing it in a sports detergent like Prowash, Win, or Hex Performance will take care of the odors. Conventional detergents tend to coat the fiber, and the coating is what holds much of the odor. I've used all three on technical fabrics, but have had the best experience with Prowash and Hex Performance. Prowash is on Amazon and seems to come and go. My supermarket started carrying Hex Performance. Just machine wash and hang to dry. The first time washing may require a soak setting, but you should be good after the old detergent residue is broken down. Using these detergents also restored the wicking on my Nike DriFit gym stuff, so that was an added benefit.

Traveler
02-10-2015, 08:24
Having used both, admittedly more Techwick than Capaline, I find they have similar qualities to a degree and both hold odors pretty much the same. Beyond that, I prefer the Techwick fabrics, for me they are a little easier to work with in combination with other clothing. Since you have a chance to get some T1 you can use as underwear for no dollars, I would go for that. If you end up not liking it, EMS has a decent return policy.