PDA

View Full Version : What pack do you have?

featherhiker
02-09-2015, 13:49
I have a Mammut lithium 25 liter internal frame pack that I love but I would like to do a AT thru hike and I don't want to buy a new pack since it is less than year old. I would like know what other people have used and if anyone has ever used a pack that small.

Wolf - 23000
02-09-2015, 15:25
If you are happy with what you have then I suggest using it. Don't worry about what others carry or do. This is your hike, no one else.

There will always be some hikers that want to tell others what to carry or what gear is the best. It maybe the right gear for them but they are not you. The biggest advice any hiker can give you is focus on what works for you. The rest will fall into place.

Wolf

Havana
02-09-2015, 15:45
The only issue I see in your case is pack size. 25L is a small pack sized to carry 4-5 days of food plus all gear. Most folks are using something closer to 50L.

While this isn't a list necessarily of what packs are being used on the trail, the following thread has some packs that folks are using: Pack Thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/108883-Your-pack%28s%29)

Cro-Mag
02-09-2015, 16:05
It all depends on what YOU are carrying.

I used a Osprey Atmos 65 on my AT thru. I had plenty of space, but those rare times, like the 100 Mile Wilderness, it was great to have the extra space for food. I saw a few people hanging bags off the back of their packs. To me, this is not ideal, as it does not distribute the weight well.
I am planning a longer hike for 2016, and would feel comfortable using a 45L pack now.

My two cents.

GTStricky
02-09-2015, 16:21
If your stuff fits it will work.

YC 15
02-09-2015, 16:39
It is possible if you can dial your gear in. There won't be much room for luxuries but it will help you bring only what you need. Look up Loner2012AT on youtube. He used a 20L pack. I used a 32L on the 100 mile wilderness last year and will use either that or a 29L for my thru. You'll be able to answer this question yourself once you load your pack with 5 days of food plus gear which will probably be the most you would carry.

cbg
02-09-2015, 16:46
I really like the ULA OHM 2

bigcranky
02-10-2015, 08:13
Yes, people have successfully thru-hiked with a very small pack.

CalebJ
02-10-2015, 10:14
The only thing that matters significantly is whether the pack carries your gear well and fits you properly. If you can find a lightweight pack that does that, excellent. Below 20 pounds total weight, I love my ZPacks Zero. 20-30 pounds and I'll switch to the Osprey Exos 34. Much above that and I just need a pack that carries weight well, the percentage of pack weight at that point is small enough that comfort is far more important than pack weight.

bemental
02-24-2015, 20:30
Just received my CiloGear 60L W/NW Dyneema worksack (http://www.cilogear.com/dyneema60.html) in the mail; it's pretty legit.

Christoph
02-24-2015, 20:35
I have a few years old Kelty pack that I'll be bringing. The outfitter told me it was a girls pack but with my lower back issues, I told him I'm the one that has to carry it, not anyone else. Feels very comfy every time I use it. Only issue is, it's a little on the heavy side. Going to try to lighten it up a little, it seems overbuilt.

CrunchSA
03-04-2015, 11:53
I'll be using an Osprey Exos 58 on my JMT thru-hike this July. Done a bit of training with it so far, and am loving it!

trbjr
03-08-2015, 18:46
I use the Rei flash 45. Great pack

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2015, 10:05
I've always held to the idea that you never let your pack determine what gear you carry. You always choose the gear that is needed first based upon the nature/conditions of the hike, then you choose a pack to fit and comfortably carry that gear, plus of course food and water.

Given the gear needed for the the colder weather during the beginning of a thru-hike, it would be difficult for most people to fit that needed gear, which includes bulkier clothing, plus 4 days+ food in a 25 liter day pack. Nor would it generally carry very comfortably given typical weights and 25 liter pack suspensions, even with good suspensions like your Mammut. Sure there are people who can and have done it, who cut down to the bare minimum in gear, clothing, etc. But they are generally either very experienced, or they are very cold.

I noted your age at 15 years old. I assume you are looking to thru-hike in some future year, not this spring. If so, there is plenty of time to research your gear, and make sure your pack will work, or look for a pack that will comfortably carry the needed gear plus food/water, etc.

Wülfgang
03-09-2015, 10:59
I really like the ULA OHM 2

OHM 2 owner here. Any pack ULA makes is a solid choice, in my opinion. Yeah you could go a touch lighter (Z-packs comes to mind), but when choosing a pack it's less about ounces and more about the functionality and durability of the pack for your needs.

ULA is a backpacker-owned company and their customer service is outstanding.

swisscross
03-09-2015, 12:32
I like my Circuit.

Two Speed
03-09-2015, 13:13
I have a Mammut lithium 25 liter internal frame pack that I love but I would like to do a AT thru hike and I don't want to buy a new pack since it is less than year old. I would like know what other people have used and if anyone has ever used a pack that small.I started backpacking with a 5,500 CI external frame, rationalized my gear and swapped down to a 2,500 CI pack (approx 40 L). Did some more downsizing and am very happy with a 34 L pack these days, convinced I can make it work for 4- 5 day trips in most weather.

Speaking to your situation the best way to find out if a 25 L pack will work FOR YOU is to load it up for a 2 -3 day trip and try it out in mild weather. If that works out try longer trips, and start throwing in some tougher weather. If you can make it work you're good to go. If not you'll have gained some very valuable experience.

Personally I'd be sketchy on a 25 L, but much depends on the individual hiker. Lots of folks are convinced they need a 50 - 60 L pack, and I've seen much larger on the trail. Personally I'm enjoying hiking with a smaller pack.

YMMV.

Connie
03-09-2015, 14:08
I started out mountainclimbing using a hand-me-down canvas Yucca pack, without the frame.

Next, I purchased a two outside pocket lightweight canvas rucksack from REI for mountainclimbing. I also had a waistbelt pack under it, an excellent combination.

Next, I purchased a Kelty three panel packframe pack: some rigging broke. I went back to a soft backpack.

I thought I needed a high volume pack: I purchased a Lowe Alpine Attack and Alpine Attack Summit pack.

I only needed the high volume pack for heavy fabric 650-fill "fluffy" gear.

Now that I have replaced the heavier "fluffy" gear with lightweight fabric Hammock Gear Burrow 20 850-fill "fluffy" sleeping quilt and XTherm and outerwear down clothing the highest volume pack I use is a 40-liter Timbuk2 Tres Especial 2014 pack for 7-10 days out.

I also have a 30-liter HMG Black Summit (cuben) pack, or, my Lowe Alpine Attack Summit pack with an added large mesh pocket together that will accomodate sleeping gear and shelter, only accomodating less food for up to 4 or 5 days out.

That is my experience.

CalebJ
03-09-2015, 14:14
I got out to Mount Rogers last Thursday/Friday and found the Exos 34 to be more than adequate for an overnight at about 10*. Nothing strapped to the outside of the pack, and just used the stretch pocket to keep a couple of layering options handy. The Zero would have carried everything just fine, but at 24 pounds including food and water, the Osprey seemed like a better choice. This was a little less of a minimal hike than my normal trip; dropping to a bivy sack and going stoveless could easily have cut the starting weight down another couple of pounds (and then I'd have saved another 1.5 pounds by switching packs). Lots of options... The point is, if you make carefully thought out choices with your gear, you can easily make a small pack work (especially in 3 season weather).

msumax1985
03-09-2015, 15:32
I have a Mammut lithium 25 liter internal frame pack that I love but I would like to do a AT thru hike and I don't want to buy a new pack since it is less than year old. I would like know what other people have used and if anyone has ever used a pack that small.

Can you make a 25 liter pack work? Yes. But I think it would be more functional to have something more appropriate. Most people carry 50-65 liters of gear. Most that carry a smaller pack have gear hanging on the outside--like tarps, sleeping pads, etc. I like everything inside, and I carry the Osprey Exos 46. But I am the exception, as most people I see out there all have 50+ liters.

Donde
03-09-2015, 15:40
Get all your gear dialed in THEN pick a pack that fits it, not the other way around. Most Thru hikers carry a much bigger pack than 25L but there have been plenty who have done it with packs that small. QUestion is what are you trying put in it?

Nooga
03-13-2015, 10:46
I carry an Osprey Exos 58 without the the top panel (brain). As long as you are resupplying regularly, a small pack in warm temps works well, but for me, when I have to carry food for a longer section, the extra pack volume is needed. It could be that my food takes up more space than most? I would also add, that I don't like to over compress my down quilt so I use a larger stuff sack than is typically supplied by the manufacturer, which adds to the volume.

foodbag
04-07-2015, 15:24
I guess that my pack doesn't qualify as ultra-lite - I still have my trusty Vapor Trail purchased back in 2005!

kevperro
04-15-2015, 22:39
I have three....

ULA Ohm 2.0 is probably my favorite.
ULA Catalyst is my oldest one.... had it for a little over a decade.

I just bought an REI Flash 45 for a trip with two of my sons this summer. My packs will be distributed between us and the Flash is a good buy. It has all kinds of do-dads I don't need but the weight is a respectable 2 pounds and a few ounces. There are a lot of things on it that I consider unnecessary but it carries well. It doesn't have the space of my Ohm 2.0 so not as versatile. But....at the REI outlet with my discount is set me back $78 and you cannot beat that with a stick.

moytoy
04-16-2015, 04:41
Your 15 years old and my guess is you don't have the experience or ultralight gear to do a thru with a 25L pack. I know I don't and I'm a lot older than 15. Chances are you need a little larger pack when you get all the gear together.

kevperro
04-16-2015, 12:48
Your 15 years old and my guess is you don't have the experience or ultralight gear to do a thru with a 25L pack. I know I don't and I'm a lot older than 15. Chances are you need a little larger pack when you get all the gear together.

I agree with this completely. The gear you choose actually becomes much less important once you are out there. All the packs/sleeping bags/ tents are better than what we used 20+ years ago. The trip isn't about the gear.

Also... don't get caught up in this super-light craze. Don't get me wrong, make good choices that strongly consider weight but don't go for the lightest load. There was little difference to me hiking with a 15lb pack vs. carrying a 20lb pack when I was thru-hiking. You get in good enough shape that a couple pounds just doesn't matter. The difference between being able to carry 25L worth of food and "stuff" and 50L DOES matter.

My advice to someone in your spot would be to buy lightweight but cost effective equipment that is simple in design and has been successfully used by others.

FamilyGuy
04-17-2015, 18:38
I use a custom HMG Porter 55 (with 150d black cuben hybrid body) and a Mountain Laurel Designs Prophet. Love them both. A lot.

fastfoxengineering
04-20-2015, 12:44
I have three....

ULA Ohm 2.0 is probably my favorite.
ULA Catalyst is my oldest one.... had it for a little over a decade.

I just bought an REI Flash 45 for a trip with two of my sons this summer. My packs will be distributed between us and the Flash is a good buy. It has all kinds of do-dads I don't need but the weight is a respectable 2 pounds and a few ounces. There are a lot of things on it that I consider unnecessary but it carries well. It doesn't have the space of my Ohm 2.0 so not as versatile. But....at the REI outlet with my discount is set me back $78 and you cannot beat that with a stick.

I'm with this guy. I picked up an REI Flash 45 for $80 at REI-Outlet too. Only takin it on day trips so far, but it rides pretty well. Nothing better than cheap gear that's actually good. I always envy the dude with a baseweight almost as low as people who spend 10x as much as he did.

As for thru hiking with a 25L pack.. I'm gonna say anyone who has done it had a fair amount of prior backpacking experience. Or a lot of their equipment was strapped to the outside of their pack. My dry sack for my quilts is 13L and my clothes bag is 8L... That would take up pretty much all the space in a 25L pack.. and prob fit awkwardly.

teefal
04-20-2015, 18:28
Just took my Atmos AG 65 for its first 4 mile test. Learned I need to lose 30 pounds from my 20 liter belly, but I guess I already knew that. Pack was great tho ... real nice distribution.

teefal
04-20-2015, 18:30
Also learned a 20% REI discount makes it easy to justify buying a pack you can't afford, even with the duscount. ; (

featherhiker
04-22-2015, 13:23
I might be 15 but i'm also a boy scout and have had a hiking career of 5 years and also did a 100 mile two week hike in the moutains of new mexico with the same pack

kevperro
04-24-2015, 12:02
I'm with this guy. I picked up an REI Flash 45 for $80 at REI-Outlet too. Only takin it on day trips so far, but it rides pretty well. Nothing better than cheap gear that's actually good. I always envy the dude with a baseweight almost as low as people who spend 10x as much as he did.

As for thru hiking with a 25L pack.. I'm gonna say anyone who has done it had a fair amount of prior backpacking experience. Or a lot of their equipment was strapped to the outside of their pack. My dry sack for my quilts is 13L and my clothes bag is 8L... That would take up pretty much all the space in a 25L pack.. and prob fit awkwardly.

Yea... a few ounces or even a pound don't make a difference on a thru hike but the extra space often is nice as you are stocking-up in town.

I COULD carry the Flash 45 on a thru-hike of the PCT, AT etc...etc.... but I wouldn't. I'd take a larger pack with more capacity because you don't really pay much of a weight penalty and you can always cinch it down when you are under-loaded. I'd carry my Ohm 2.0 probably. The Flash carries really nice though and for 3-4 day trips around here it will work perfectly.

kevperro
04-24-2015, 12:10
Still available...... really an outstanding deal on a very usable pack.

http://www.rei.com/product/863031/rei-flash-45-pack-special-buy

sbhikes
04-28-2015, 12:08
I used a gossamer gear G4. According to their site it's about 52 liters. On any normal backpack trip it's way too big for my needs, but on my PCT hike I was so hungry and carried so much food that coming out of a resupply I wondered how I was going to fit everything into my pack. Going into town my pack was too big again.

RedSoxFan
05-03-2015, 17:22
Northface terra 50. Love it.

sbhikes
05-03-2015, 22:00
I hiked the PCT with a 4000cu inch Gossamer Gear G4. When I set off I was able to fit 10 days of food in there. Thousands of miles later when I set off for a 5 day section I could barely fit my food in there. It's not because I had more gear it's because I was way more hungry.

I usually hike with a small ULA Relay, which is similar to the ULA CDT pack. There's no way I could put enough food in it to hike the PCT but as a normal person who isn't a walking stomach on the verge of starvation, it's just the right size

Miner
05-03-2015, 22:17
If you have had it for a year, haven't you done a few multi-night trips with it yet? That would answer your question if its too small or not for you. If it can carry all the gear you think you need and carry 4-5 days of food, you are good to go. Should be easy to find out for yourself if it will work by doing just that.

I used a ULA CDT frameless pack for the northern part of the AT that I did in 2012. Though I could get away with using a smaller MLD Burn frameless pack with my gear on the AT since resupply isn't that far apart and water isn't often a problem. But for the other long trails (PCT, CDT), my current pack is just right. My baseweight is normally 8-9.5 pounds. That includes 1.5 pounds of camera gear, most of which is strapped onto my shoulder straps and not in the pack itself.

q-tip
05-04-2015, 10:48
Granite Gear Crown VC, 60 L, 2 lbs. (small) best pack I own. I really like all my gear inside the pack, and the new outside pouch takes care of need to get to quick easy.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/asset.php?fid=21920&uid=20935&d=1377263270
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/asset.php?fid=21915&uid=20935&d=1377262692

Ambidex
07-27-2016, 16:39
Northface terra 50. Love it.

What he said!! Just surprised to see another NF50 listed!!

Swampdoom
08-19-2016, 15:10
I use a 40 liter Gregory Zulu. Great bag and I have plenty of extra room loaded down for 5 days.

Another Kevin
08-22-2016, 14:07
I put hundreds of miles on a pack that I got for $70 at an REI garage sale, before I decided to get a Granite Gear Crown VC60 (large). It's a good bit more space than I need in hot weather, fairly tight in shoulder season, and in real winter a lot of stuff has to ride outside. I decided on it rather than something from ULA (or even more exotic) because I had an REI gift card, and it looked to be the best fit for my hiking style among the stuff that REI sold at the time I got it.

I have no aspiration to be a thru hiker, but I note that a typical thru hike begins and ends in the shoulder season. I'd be hard put to cram the gear I'd want for early spring in Georgia or early autumn in northern New England into a 45-litre pack, even if I'd have no trouble with a pack that size at high summer. That said, I'm not an ultralighter, partly because I think I'd go slightly daft having nothing to do Out There but walk. (Having other things to do means bringing a few extra toys, and needing the pack space to hold them.)

josh_ATL
10-16-2016, 20:53
I'm rockin a Gossamer Gear Kumo. It's only a 36L pack including the outside pockets. I've done several long distance hikes and with it and I can fit 4-5 days worth of food no problem. I pretty much just take the bare minimum on my hikes. For cold weather hiking where I need warmer gear, I just throw on my front chest pack and that frees up the room needed for cold weather gear

rafe
10-16-2016, 22:43
I guess that my pack doesn't qualify as ultra-lite - I still have my trusty Vapor Trail purchased back in 2005!

Mine is a bit newer (2006 or 2007) but still going strong.

I bought a Nimbus Ozone at the same time more or less, and that one has more miles on it. But for those situations when I can keep the total load to 25 lbs. or less, I take the Vapor Trail.

jjozgrunt
10-16-2016, 23:36
One thing not mentioned when people talk about pack sizes is your size. I'm 6'3" big build and all my gear is large and/or wide, therefore I need more room than a slightly built 5'6" person, just to fit the extra bulk of quilts, pads and clothes. Be realistic about your particular needs. Personally I hate carrying anything dangling off my pack, it catches branches and you risk it getting ripped off or damaging the pack, I like everything inside where it belongs.

The Roaming Gnome
10-17-2016, 17:15
Zpacks Arc Blast 60 size small

dad love mom
10-17-2016, 18:21
I have the following packs: a GG Murmur, a GG Mariposa, a North Face Casimir 36, and a custom-featured HMG Southwest 3400.

I enjoyed using the GG Murmur. I used it on my rim-to-rim-to-rim hike in 2016. A great pack. It's frameless and requires users to pack it just right. I had about 22-23 pounds in it; it supposed to max out at 15 or so in the comfort range. GG is right. With 22, although I loved the pack, it wasn't the most comfortable pack in the world either.

The HMG is brand new, so I literally have no experience with it just yet; I ordered it with an inner zip pouch and an internal frame sheet (in addition to the aluminum stays).

The GG Mariposa is by far the worst pack of the bunch. It's uncomfortable, clumsy, doesn't hold weight well, doesn't transfer weight well to the hips, and sags on the user's rear.

The best pack of the bunch? The North Face. It's comfortable, transfers weight appropriately, and has an adjustable torso mechanism. I love that pack for short trips.

Cheyou
10-17-2016, 18:38
Zpacks Arc Blast 60 size small

Wow 60l ! With your kit seems very big.

Thom

The Roaming Gnome
10-17-2016, 21:01
Wow 60l ! With your kit seems very big.

Thom

The nice thing about the pack is the you can roll the top down to suit your load.

jjozgrunt
10-17-2016, 21:39
I use the Zpacks Arc Haul Zip - Dyneema. Could go smaller for the AT but often have 7 days food here, and up to 6lts of water, and don't see the sense in going smaller as the pack is only 28 ozs.

Some people just don't realize how big and dry Australia is, about the same size as the USA with a 16th of the population. 7 - 14 days between towns on the longer trails often carrying water for 2 or more days.36594

AfterParty
10-17-2016, 23:06
My kit is pretty much ultra lite but my pack is not. I wanted a pack I know the fit an finish of. I got the mystery ranch glacier 70 l and I love my comfortable almost 5 lbs pack. I need to get it broke in proper though but still waiting on 2 more items and I will do my first solo 26m 12 out 14 back. I could rock a ul bag but I do t wanna. I like luxury items 2 quilltsi just like my pack

cmoulder
10-18-2016, 21:08
Not to dredge up the whole "label" and "number" issues — although this is the UL forum! — but UL is defined as a base weight of 10 lbs or less. So if you're carrying a pack that weighs almost 5 lbs and 2 quilts, that simply isn't UL or even "pretty much UL" because the pack and sleep system are big components of the base weight.

This is not a criticism because it is no concern of mine what anybody chooses to carry. I'm just noting that it is not technically UL.

allmebloominlife
10-25-2016, 10:30
I've got a ULA Circuit and love it. My base weight is around 12 lbs. I'm usually pushing 32 lbs the 1st night on trail. Only cause I'm carrying beer and steak/brats for a 1st night feast. ;-)

swisscross
10-25-2016, 11:19
I've got a ULA Circuit and love it. My base weight is around 12 lbs. I'm usually pushing 32 lbs the 1st night on trail. Only cause I'm carrying beer and steak/brats for a 1st night feast. ;-)

I too have an ULA Circuit but recently picked up an ULA CDT.
Do you have an opening on your next trip? Love me a feast.

Neemor
10-26-2016, 09:13
If you have gone backpacking with it already, then go for it! I used a 36L on the pct and will probably go smaller next summer. If you can fit gear+ 2-3 days of food you will be fine. [emoji1362]
I carried a 60L on my AT thru and it was way to big. But look they say, it all depends on you and what gear you're putting in it. Just think of the AT as tons of 3 day backpacking trips. Over and over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cesar1239
10-26-2016, 13:01
I have the Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 Pack. After I bought it, I realized that I could have easily gotten away with a small Gorilla 40 Pack but just wanted to be safe. Mine ways about 2 pounds.

showtime_
11-01-2016, 16:26
I'm rockin a Gossamer Gear Kumo. It's only a 36L pack including the outside pockets. I've done several long distance hikes and with it and I can fit 4-5 days worth of food no problem. I pretty much just take the bare minimum on my hikes. For cold weather hiking where I need warmer gear, I just throw on my front chest pack and that frees up the room needed for cold weather gear

I love my Kumo; used it on the Long Trail this summer. What chest pack are you using? If you don't mind me asking.

happypad
03-26-2017, 19:59
Osprey Atmos 65 AG. I used it on my first AT hike. I then went to a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. I just didn't care for the way the Mariposa rode on my back. I went back to the Atmos.

TTT
03-26-2017, 22:59
Zpacks Arc Blast 55 L. With a full load I can bend over and tie my boot laces :)

left52side
03-26-2017, 23:33
Currently I have A ula ohm 2.0 as well as A ula cdt pack that are my go to packs at the moment .
In the future I have my eye on on A couple of other packs to try out . one being the palante packs simple pack and the other being the mld burn pack.

Miner
03-27-2017, 01:40
Figure out the maximum amount of food and water you'll likely need to carry. Try loading your pack with it and see if it fits with your gear. There should be no reason to guess if it will work. Either everything fits or it doesn't.

If I was to hike the AT starting tomorrow, I'd take my MLD Burn (38L with all the external pockets and extension collar) pack. With my current gear, I could easily make it work for the AT with most of my gear stored inside. When I hiked in 2012, I carried my larger ULA CDT pack which I found larger than needed. For me that pack size works better for the PCT and CDT with their longer food and water carries than the AT. And yet, many I met on the AT thought my CDT pack was tiny.

backtrack213
03-27-2017, 09:04
I haven't used it too extensively but my palante pack is good. 35L waterproof, mesh pockets on the back bottom and straps as well as good room to carry extra water I love it.

JC13
03-27-2017, 09:13
Using a Granite Gear Virga II this year for a 8-10 day summer AT section hike. 19oz and 54L in a regular.

Moosling
03-28-2017, 07:48
Using a Granite Gear Virga II this year for a 8-10 day summer AT section hike. 19oz and 54L in a regular.

I'm looking at that pack myself. What would you say the comfort is weight wise? I've read some people loading it with a little over 20 lbs and them claiming its comfortable for them.

egilbe
03-28-2017, 08:00
The old style SMD Fusion 50 and 65, SeekOutside Unaweep 4800 in Cuben fiber, A REI Flash 45, llbean 25 liter daytrekker. I have a Deuter 35 + 10 tall, with tags on it still. Never used it. Impulse buy.

JC13
03-28-2017, 08:25
I'm looking at that pack myself. What would you say the comfort is weight wise? I've read some people loading it with a little over 20 lbs and them claiming its comfortable for them.I have had it at 20 lbs and hiked about 11 miles with it on a day hike to give it a test run. I thought it was pretty comfortable once I had it dialed in. I have heard people say it is good up to 25 lbs but I think it really will come down to how rigid you can pack it.

I started with it packed down without cinching the straps until I have everything in it but I found out that it actually carried better once I unpacked it, cinched it pretty tight and then released some tension only if I needed more space. That made it carry much better. I may even try it with my air mattress partially inflated as the backplane. Considered using my z-seat as well but then the z-seat loses part of its functionality.

Unfortunately, I have only had it out that one time so far.

changed
03-30-2017, 10:15
GG Gorilla, no brain, stripped, thinking about removing the hipbelt and frame for the PCT...

theory
04-21-2017, 16:57
I have the Murmur 36 Hyperlite. I do not recommend it. If you're wanting something very similar though, the MLD Burn CF 38L is a better choice. It is made with a tougher material and only about an ounce heavier unless you were able to use the Murmur without the hip belt but I can only do that when I am super low on food and about to head into a town to resupply. The problem with this pack is that you need a very small shelter, carry no more than 4 days of food at a time and go with a super lightweight small compacting sleeping pad. I have it set up like this: sleeping bag in bottom, clothes shoved in between gaps, food bag, toiletry bag and shelter. The outside is where you keep whatever else you need. I keep a water bottle, water filter, rain jacket, sleeping pad, trowel and headlamp. Wait, did you want to bring more? Well, you can't. [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zippyd8
05-05-2017, 19:19
I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Osprey Exos series packs

TrappedInsideACube
05-06-2017, 23:51
I have the Murmur 36 Hyperlite. I do not recommend it. If you're wanting something very similar though, the MLD Burn CF 38L is a better choice. It is made with a tougher material and only about an ounce heavier unless you were able to use the Murmur without the hip belt but I can only do that when I am super low on food and about to head into a town to resupply. The problem with this pack is that you need a very small shelter, carry no more than 4 days of food at a time and go with a super lightweight small compacting sleeping pad. I have it set up like this: sleeping bag in bottom, clothes shoved in between gaps, food bag, toiletry bag and shelter. The outside is where you keep whatever else you need. I keep a water bottle, water filter, rain jacket, sleeping pad, trowel and headlamp. Wait, did you want to bring more? Well, you can't. [emoji53]

I have a Burn and feel like I should have went with a Prophet just for a little extra wiggle room.

Ethesis
05-07-2017, 12:12
Pack fit is really important. My wife's pack really won't fit me and mine really doesn't fit her.

Distance and environment matter to. A five pound Baltero can't be beat for winter camping short hauls. The organization and access are the reason it wins awards.

On the the other hand, on the AT an Osprey exist is great. If it fits you. If not, then it is terrible.

BuckeyeBill
05-07-2017, 13:54
My very first pack was a canvas Boy Scout pack. As I outgrew that one, I went to a Kelty External Frame pack. I had it until my oldest grandson needed equipment to go to Philmont, so I gave him all of my equipment and bought him a new lighter weight ULA Ohm. That Kelty is buried in my hiking closet. I reequipped my self with all new gear and picked up a ULA Catalyst, because It holds both winter and summer hiking gear with ease. High quality and a great company to work with.

mml373
05-11-2017, 05:32
It all depends on what YOU are carrying.

I used a Osprey Atmos 65 on my AT thru. I had plenty of space, but those rare times, like the 100 Mile Wilderness, it was great to have the extra space for food. I saw a few people hanging bags off the back of their packs. To me, this is not ideal, as it does not distribute the weight well.
I am planning a longer hike for 2016, and would feel comfortable using a 45L pack now.

My two cents.

As much talking as I've done lately about using my replacement Atmos 65 AG for my thru hike, believe I saw that the new Osprey Stratos 50 has an adjustable frame this year and am actually thinking it might be worth downsizing.

Like you, however, I do like the security of having the "extra space" of a 65L pack (62L in my size...), especially for a first thru hike.

eggymane
05-11-2017, 15:08
I've gone through my fair share of different packs. Now it's down to two different packs- HMG for almost everything, and my Seekoutside for those trips where resupply are long durations.

Venchka
05-11-2017, 15:35
I've gone through my fair share of different packs. Now it's down to two different packs- HMG for almost everything, and my Seekoutside for those trips where resupply are long durations.

That just might be the perfect pair for anywhere a person might want to go.
Wayne