PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a section hike this summer

full conditions
02-09-2015, 14:32
I have a couple of months off this summer from about June 7 until August 15 or so depending on the school calendar. We'd like to hike for about five weeks and we could theoretically use any of the weeks between June and August. . My partner and I have been day hiking and overnighting in the Southern Appalachians for a few years and I'd like our section hike to be somewhere beyond our normal weekend or spring break driving distance (anywhere north of Damascus). I had suggested to her that we hike from Harpers Ferry south to Daleville but she's worried about summer heat and humidity. Any thoughts?

hikernutcasey
02-09-2015, 15:14
I have a couple of months off this summer from about June 7 until August 15 or so depending on the school calendar. We'd like to hike for about five weeks and we could theoretically use any of the weeks between June and August. . My partner and I have been day hiking and overnighting in the Southern Appalachians for a few years and I'd like our section hike to be somewhere beyond our normal weekend or spring break driving distance (anywhere north of Damascus). I had suggested to her that we hike from Harpers Ferry south to Daleville but she's worried about summer heat and humidity. Any thoughts?Your partner is right, it will definitely be hot. However, that time of year it's hot everywhere so it is what it is. Obviously it might be somewhat cooler up in New Hampshire and Maine but you may have to endure the mosquitos and black flies. I've not been that far north yet so others can attest more to whether that would be a major problem or not.

kofritz
02-09-2015, 16:43
the mid-atlantic states could be the ticket.

Poedog
02-09-2015, 16:47
Go west young man.

Cookerhiker
02-09-2015, 18:16
Start at Gorham at the last road crossing in New Hampshire the first week in July and hike south through the Whites, then see how far you get. Adjust your mileage expectations for the ruggedness of the Whites.

the mid-atlantic states could be the ticket.

Disagree - IMO the heat and humidity in the mid-Atlantic are even worse than the South because of the low elevation and proximity to the ocean, plus the mosquitoes are worse.

Go west young man.

As much as I like the AT, summer is a crappy time to hike it, except for the White Mts. I agree with Poedog - head for the Rockies or the Sierra.

full conditions
02-10-2015, 07:50
Thanks guys. How about this idea? We take the train to Pawling, NY first week of July or late June and head north. In five weeks we could reasonably expect to get maybe to Hanover putting us on the trail in Vermont in late July. As much as I appreciate the advice about heading west, my partner really wants to backpack the AT.

Cookerhiker
02-10-2015, 19:05
Thanks guys. How about this idea? We take the train to Pawling, NY first week of July or late June and head north. In five weeks we could reasonably expect to get maybe to Hanover putting us on the trail in Vermont in late July. As much as I appreciate the advice about heading west, my partner really wants to backpack the AT.

Have a good hike. Perhaps you can escape the heat but you won't escape the mosquitoes, so be prepared.

full conditions
02-11-2015, 10:23
Have a good hike. Perhaps you can escape the heat but you won't escape the mosquitoes, so be prepared.
Thanks CH - I'm not sure what we'll do yet but I really appreciate the advice. We may stick with our original HF to Daleville plan and just to the bulk of our walking in the morning and keep our mileage low.