PDA

View Full Version : Deep gap to Clingman's dome

mwebb1690
02-09-2015, 17:32
Looking for some experience, how many days should we allot for this section? The current plan is 7 days, Wednesday to Wednesday.

AO2134
02-09-2015, 18:28
Certainly doable if you are an experienced hiker in decent shape. There is a reason why a large percentage of people never make it out of GA. It is harder then it seems. You are looking at 114 mile hike. A little over a 16 mpd pace. Certainly relatively easy and doable for a seasoned hiker in decent shape or a relatively new hiker in great shape.

I don't want to insult you. You don't tell us your experience or your fitness level or your age. So it is hard to say. The only clue I gathered was "looking for some experience."

Given that you are "looking for some experience" I'd say that may be to much for a beginner unless you are in great shape.

Be aware, I have taken many people who were in great shape but couldn't hack it in the mountains. You can be in great shape and not be in hiking shape.

8 days would be 14.25 mpd.

9 days would be 12.67 mpd.

Many new hikers can't do any of these amounts. But then you get some who can. I started off being able to do 15-16 mpd easily, but it took a lot of work and hiking to get it closer to 20 mpd.

Each person is different.

I'd say get to Fontana Dam and reassess. How are you feeling? How many mpd have you been averaging? How much time do you have left? Do you want to save the smokies for later? Or Keep pushing?

I'd do the same reassessment of NOC, which is nearly 1/2 to your goal. Leave yourself options. Know shuttles and places you can bail should the worst happen.

Remember to factor in rain/ poor weather. My pace slows by nearly a mile per hour in rain. It is annoying as heck.

Again, not intended to offend. Each person is different.

TNhiker
02-09-2015, 18:34
Many new hikers can't do any of these amounts

hellfire---some of us "older" or more "experienced" hikers cant do these amounts........

mwebb1690
02-09-2015, 21:56
Just what I was looking for! My buddy and I have been studying some maps. We have experience, but I was looking for first hand experience on this section of the AT. I should have been more detailed. We'll be in tip top shape in May. I'm only 25 in good shape, he is in his upper 30's also is good shape. Based on the map, we have planned to do exactly what you mentioned. We will hike to Fontana Dam and then evaluate if we can make it to Clingman's Dome. Being from Oklahoma, most of our hiking is done in Arkansas or Colorado.

AO2134
02-10-2015, 11:16
This last year I did Springer to Fontana as a series of weekend hikes. I documented my travels on a website if you are interested. It has pictures descriptions and mile markers of all major views, intersections, campsites, etc. Kind of like a photographic journal. When I started hiking, I was looking around for something like it and I couldn't find it. So I decided to make it. "A preview" of a hike if you will.

My suggestion would be:

Day 1: Deep Gap (85.4) to Betty Creek Gap (97.6). Good water source and campsite here. If you have enough time energy, push on 5 miles to Long Branch Shelter (102.5). I would keep day 1 shorter to get your legs under you. From Deep Gap, you have a long, steady, but not to harsh climb to Standing Indian Mountain over about 2 miles. From there is mostly downhill and easy until you reach Betty Creek Gap, great campsite. This is the last campsite until Long Branch Shelter about 5 miles away. If you are running out of time/energy, stop here. Only real attraction is this section is Standing Indian Mountain. Highest Mountain in this section before Smokies I believe.

Day 2: Betty Creek Gap (97.6) to Siler Bald Summit (114.4). Siler Bald Summit is a must campsite. 360 degree views. It is simply amazing. From Betty Creek Gap, There is a 1,800+ climb to Albert Mountain. A pretty legit climb, but not too bad. Bring enough water to get up and over Albert Mountain. This section is dry. Next water source is 5 miles away. (of course, if you are a fast hiker, that is about 2 hrs of hiking). After albert it is mostly downdill to Rock Gap Shelter and Wallace Gap, where you begin a decent climb and then descent to WSG right off US 64. From here you begin a long stead 1,200 foot climb to Siler Bald summit. I would recommend spending the night there depending on weather.

Day 3: Siler Bald (114.4) to Wesser Bald (130.6) (shelter .8 miles north). This would be my day three. Flat out amazing section. Catch sunrise from siler. Pretty step descent to Wayah Gap then moderately difficult climb to Wayah Bald with awesome fire tower. Mostly descend (there are always up and downs even in mostly descend" sections) to Burningtown gap where you begin a steady clim to Cooper Ridge Gap and then there is a side trail to Ricky Bald on right that you must take. From there, you have a steep descent to Tellico Gap followed by a fair climb up to Wesser Bald, which is the best view in this section IMO. Consider cowboy camping on tower (I never have). There is some room for a small campsite on bald, but if you decide you want to get out of the elements get to shelter less than a mile away. No water on summit. There is no water for 5 mile section to Wesser. So bring a lot of plan to make a trip down to water source .7 miles away.

Day 4: Wesser Bald (131.4) to Cheoah Bald (145.2). At this point, you may be thankful for a short day. Also get another campsite with a view here. From Wesser, you have a long steep descent to NOC. Some portions are pretty steep, but it is not to bad. From NOC you have one of the most "difficult" climbs out of NOC until you reach Cheoah Bald where you gain over 3,300 feet in 8 miles. It is not awful. People make it sound worse then it actually is, but it a constant grind upwards. So just be aware. I

Day 5: Cheoah Bald (145.2) to Fontana Hilton (165.8). The long day. With exception of a few legit climbs, this section is pretty easy and boring. I'd do it in 1 go. Plus, with Fontana hilton as goal (large shelter with excess tentsites), I'd do anything to get there. That may be too much. If it is, stop at Cable Gap Shelter.

I can't help you after that. I know the hike I want to do. I got the smokies planned this may.

If you like this description, pm me about the website. It is more detailed and has photos of this hike. I won't be offended if you aren't interested. Anyways, that would be my plan for you based on what you told me.

wilsonnickp
02-10-2015, 13:02
I agree that this section is tougher than many expect and that is a lot of mileage each day. I'm not trying to shoot down your idea, though. I always plan optimistically with high mileage so I can cover more ground. I would recommend shooting for the safe side mileage-wise. Several long, hard days may make for a less enjoyable trip than a relaxing, more conservative schedule. Just my two cents (probably worth less than two cents).