PDA

View Full Version : Top quilt advice needed.....

Robb871
02-09-2015, 18:17
Hey guys I have a question about a Burrow. First of all, I'm not really a hammock guy. I will be using mine with a pad and tent. With that being said, I'm a frugal guy and only want to order one for now. I live in Kentucky and do most of my backpacking here. So, my temps range from maybe 20* at the lowest to 60* on warmer nights. I know one particular quilt isn't optimal for those ranges but I only have the budget for one. So, do I order a Burrow 20...or maybe a 40 with extra down....or a custom 30? Suggestions? Also, I am 6'2" 245. Pretty big guy. Weight of the quilt isn't an issue because any of them will be less that my current bag. I think I prefer a sewn footbox, but I'm open to any advice. Thanks in advance guys. Also, I'm open to suggestions on brands as well. I've already contacted Hammock Gear with this inquiry and they weren't much help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnybgood
02-09-2015, 19:12
My suggestion is if you're planning on tenting in that low range then by all means get the 20 degree.
I probably go with the 40 * quillt if not camping in sub 40 degree weather.
I have a 20 degree Burrow and my experience is the temperature rating is spot on . Going with a snapped footbox ,which I like , offers flexibility which isn't there with a footbox that is sewn. On some of those humid nights you can help vent by an open footbox.
The overfill is a possibility if you are a cold sleeper and want a few ounced more added. Overfill can also be added to some areas of the quilt but not to all.

With your height I'd go with the long . If you're broad shouldered or a violent sleeper , one that tosses about you might consider the wide.

Connie
02-09-2015, 19:28
I am 5'6". I got the Regular length Hammock Gear Burrow 20.

I anticipate 15 F thru 65 F in the mountains near me.

I can wear "fluffy" jacket, hat, and booties, if too cold.

I have the sewn footbox for better warmth with only warm socks at most of the colder temperatures, and, I can always stick one or two feet outside to cool off in the warmer temperatures.

I purchased a Titanium Goat Bug Net Bivy, at the same time. The bivy holds the edges down.

If I need more, to hold the edges down, I can use the XTherm accessory snaps. I would use elastic cord around the air mattress pad first. There are sewn in D's to use an elastic cord.

I would not get one without a shaped footbox, sewn, snapped or zipped.

I have a flat quilt at home: it nevers stays in place.

The Hammock Gear Burrow 20 sewn footbox stays in place, especially so with the lightweight Titanium Goat Bug Net Bivy.

kayak karl
02-09-2015, 19:30
i use quilts for ground and hammock. i'm 6-3 so i like the long quilt. i have 3 wearable quilts from JRB. this eliminates a camp jacket even in winter. 40, 20 and 0. if only had one id get 20. like the SEWN foot boxes. one was velcro, but i sewed it shut.

LogHiking
02-09-2015, 19:55
Burrow 20 owner here. I would probably just get a 20 to be safe as you can vent quilts pretty well. It'll be warm when 60 but not unbearably so, especially considering the venting options.

If you had a good winter jacket/parka you have with you on your 20 degree trips then maybe do a custom 30. I don't think you can make a huge mistake with either option but taking a 40 to 20 degrees is a bit too risky for my liking.

fastfoxengineering
02-09-2015, 19:58
20 degree is very versatile. I suggest if your using a top quilt for ground use, then make sure you have a warm sleeping pad. Your bottom insulation is much more directly proportional than your top insulation when ground dwelling

fastfoxengineering
02-09-2015, 19:59
Directly proportional to your warmth*

Connie
02-09-2015, 20:07
I forgot to mention, the XTherm is for the colder temperatures.

If I need to, I will get the NeoAir for the warmer temperatures: the XTherm is extra warm.

Robb871
02-09-2015, 20:56
Thanks everyone. Sounds like the Burrow 20 is my best bet. Now to have to deal with that $300 price tag. Sheesh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnnybgood
02-09-2015, 21:54
I'm always deal seeking for bargains myself Robb so l feel your pain. My tag line says it all ; dirtbagger .
When it comes to sending money on your sleep system whether a sleeping bag or quilt...never go for bad quality.
You can't put a price on a good nights sleep .

johnnybgood
02-09-2015, 21:54
I'm always deal seeking for bargains myself Robb so l feel your pain. My tag line says it all ; dirtbagger .
When it comes to sending money on your sleep system whether a sleeping bag or quilt...never go for bad quality.
You can't put a price on a good nights sleep .

johnnybgood
02-09-2015, 22:01
Oops ! Meant to say spending money . Please edit the double post mods.
Dang smartphone .
Thanks !

Connie
02-09-2015, 22:02
Thanks everyone. Sounds like the Burrow 20 is my best bet. Now to have to deal with that $300 price tag.

I paid $249 full price.

http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-20/

kayak karl
02-09-2015, 22:08
I paid $249 full price.

http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-20/
long $279 .. close to 300 :)

kayak karl
02-09-2015, 22:14
For Sale https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/105575-NEW-DIY-TQ-for-sale

2Ply
02-10-2015, 10:50
Don't forget to order the wider size TQ. If you're a side sleeper it helps eliminate cold spots.

Robb871
02-10-2015, 14:42
I think I'll go Burrow 20 long and wide....$299! Yikes!

Connie
02-10-2015, 16:35
I am a side-sleeper. I turn during the night. I don't have wide.

If you can pin a sheet the width to consider, try it.

Robb871
02-10-2015, 17:07
Then again the Underground Quilts look really nice too.

saltysack
02-10-2015, 17:22
JRB had some 45 deg Sierra sniveler quilts for $100 w very minor flaws.....

chall
02-10-2015, 17:49
Have you checked out Enlightened Equipment? Quality quilts for a great price. Lots of customization available. http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/. I have the Revelation 20* and love it.

johnnybgood
02-10-2015, 17:59
Have you checked out Enlightened Equipment? Quality quilts for a great price. Lots of customization available. http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/. I have the Revelation 20* and love it.

They also have like new returns and last run models for less money. Check it the listing , its on their website

Sirsnappy09
02-10-2015, 18:14
Enlightened equipment enigma 30

Sirsnappy09
02-10-2015, 18:27
EE has a prodigy synthetic 30 right now for 150 and poedog has a prodigy 40 on the used gear forum right now.

Odd Man Out
02-10-2015, 20:49
Then again the Underground Quilts look really nice too.

I also have and Underground Quilt. I'm 6'0" but got the long because I like to be able to pull the quilt up over my head. UG quilt uses treated down so it should absorb less moisture. They have a huge number of options for size, shape, thickness, color, footbox, overstuff, etc... so you can get it just the way you want it. I found the owner to be very helpful in my e-mail exchanges. I got a 40deg quilt as I plan on summer camping for the forseable future. One advantage of quilts is you can add coats, baselayers, etc.. to extend warmth. In a bag, if you add too much bulk, you get too cramped and this limits the effectiveness of extra insulation. Not a problem with quilts. The 78" long, 55" wide, 20 deg quilt in 800 wt down is $255. Add $6/oz for overstuff.

Robb871
02-10-2015, 21:34
Thanks Odd Man Out! After some searching I think this is exactly the way I may go. Although the the 30 degree is tempting that way it would be too hot and i condo just add some layers if it got too cold. I'm also liking their version of the snap foot box.

Robb871
02-10-2015, 22:02
Honestly my hardest decision whether to have it tapered or not.

Connie
02-10-2015, 22:07
My experience is, if you are adding layers of clothing don't make one layer a shell - you need to warm the down of the sleeping bag/quilt to let the sleeping bag/quilt do it's job of keeping you in a layer of warmth. The jacket/anorak shell stops that from happening.

That is my experience.

I also think mountains can go down to 15-20 F any time of year. If you go for 30 F, I don't think you will be satisfied if nountains are in your hiking territory. However, if you go 40 F I have no idea where tou are hiking. Even the west coast needs more than a 40 F rating sleeping bag/quilt.

That is my experience.

Connie
02-10-2015, 22:12
It is real nice to stick my stocking feet in the sewn footbox in my Hammock Gear Burrow 20 quilt. Heavenly!

Robb871
02-11-2015, 07:05
What would the pros and cons be of tapering or not. I would assume tapered would be more thermal efficient, but the non tapered has a little more wiggle room when snapped closed. I have size 13 feet so that could be nice for me. Just not sure which direction to go here.

Connie
02-11-2015, 07:32
Email Hammock Gear.

I did.

It took me a long time to decide to purchase a top quilt.

The fact is, I was in BPL forum and Hammock forum asking questions a long time before.

When I did purchase, I was incredulous at the extraordinary quality of my titanium grey outer, black inner standard argon fabric "850-fill" Hammock Gear Burrow 20 in standard width. It is higher quality than anything I had seen, including my "900-fill" Brooks Range.

Hammock Gear has it all "dialed in".