PDA

View Full Version : Primitive Skills Workshop, Sat. Nov. 12th, Dec 3., Athens, GA

Tha Wookie
11-01-2005, 10:24
Please see the below description of the upcoming workshop I will be producing along with some friends in Athens, GA. You are welcome to come and learn with us, and are encouraged to sign up early as space is limited. Please note the small fee, which only covers materials so you can leave with a project in hand. The instructors are volunteers.

Ancient Wilderness Survival Skills

Carl Lindberg, Nate "Tha Wookie" Olive and Catherine Stinson feel
blessed to have the opportunity to pass along basic
ancient wilderness skills (AKA survival skills) like that
teach self-reliance, cultural heritage, awareness, and instill
a functional relationship with the natural world. Come
ready to actively learn the basics about making bow drill
fires, edible plant and water gathering, and natural shelter
building. For more info call (706) 613-3615 x227.

Ages: All ages, under 16 must be accompanied
by an adult.

Date: November 12, December 3

Time: 1:00 - 4:30 p.m.

(706) 613-3631 one week before class

Fee: $5/ACC residents
$8/Non-ACC residents

From p.38 of http://www.accleisureservices.com/ACCLWinter06.pdf

Thanks to Ray and Jenny Jardine, Bill B., and Tom for passing the skills to us.:sun

Two Speed
11-01-2005, 10:53
Is that two separate classes or can one attend one day and expect to get the full schedule? Sounds kind of packed for one afternoon, though . . .

Tha Wookie
11-01-2005, 11:26
Two-Speed,

You're right -it is a packed 3 1/2 hour class. Our intent is to introduce these concepts to people who have little awareness of the skills, while also assembling others with some experience who want to fellowship with their skills and learn with us further.

That's a great question- each class is more or less identical, but if someone wants to attend both classes, it would give them a chance to learn at the next level. The skills are very simple and easy to "pick up", but take much practice to master.

We will have most of the materials ready for use, to save time, but will teach how/why we gathered and for what purpose.

Ultimately, we hope to host very engaged weekend or week-long workshops put on by past Tom Brown Tracker School (although we will not limit it to his school) students and instructors at our organic farm in the Athens area. We hope you can join us for the start of this primitive skills series.

"It is not the Vision that is important, but the journey" -Stalking Wolf

SGT Rock
11-01-2005, 11:31
Any maps of the area? I am trying to figure out if I can make the trip.

Tha Wookie
11-01-2005, 12:20
Any maps of the area? I am trying to figure out if I can make the trip.

Here's google's map of it. http://maps.google.com/local?q=sandy+creek+park&btnG=Search&sll=33.932097%2C-83.352508&sspn=0.127045%2C0.232086&f=q&hl=en&latlng=33932097,-83352508,12670189181971427971

Here's an up-close map of the park: http://sandycreeknaturecenter.com/scp/index.php (we meet in the upper righthand corner at the Dee-lux shelter called the Wren's nest). Then, we go to Walt Cook's Trail.

SGT Rock
11-01-2005, 13:26
Thanks Wookie. My oldest boy turns 16 that weekend and I thought that might be a cool trip for us and something interesting and different for him to do for a birthday.

Another question - my youngest is that a little much for him, or do you think it could work out? He loves the outdoors and doing active things, so in some ways I think he would get something out of it, but in others I wonder if he would distract from other people taking the course.

Thanks in advance.

Tha Wookie
11-01-2005, 15:48
Sarge,

Age is no problem, as long as children under 16 are accomanied by an adult. You be the judge about behavior. These skills used to be taught to little boys for thousands of years.... we love to teach all ages, and the other instructors are very good with kids. Carl and I recently taught a group of school kids from 12 to 15. They were enthralled -you should have seen how they reacted when the tinder bundle was smoking into a flame! They though it was going to blow (too much TV maybe?)! It was a riot.

There is already a 15 year old boy and his mother signed up, btw.

So far I think there are 5 sign ups, plus about 5 people I'm sure will come (but not sure which class, or both).

The only consideration is that we will need to stay on track to fit everything in the 3 1/2 hour program -we trust the parents. I would be honored to share these treasured skills with your kids.

BTW, they have a really awesome natural history education center right down the street (or four miles down Cook's Trail) that you should take your kids to also.

I will have to cut out to Atlanta after the first course. If you come on the Dec 3rd one you can camp at our farm 7 miles from town. There is a 15 year old who lives here with his parents -very bright kid. It's a "family environment" (well, most of the time;) You can also camp at the park -they have AT-like shelters available for reservations (and lots of trees ;)

SGT Rock
11-01-2005, 16:03
Thanks Wookie, I will have to fit it into what I am doing around it, but it sounds very cool and it is something I think they will remember for a lifetime.

Lion King
11-06-2005, 00:46
If I can help you in any way for the December one, let me know. I would offer for the Nov. one but I am in the middle of a writing project, and editing a Film.

LK

Tha Wookie
11-07-2005, 13:23
What do you mean? Will you be down here? We'd love to have you!

Let me know---- i might be able to convince the Georgia Theatre owner (friend of mine, i used to manage it) to show your flick if you're coming.

It's a cool place, right downtown. It's a music venue wed-sat, movie place Mon-Tues. Serves beer.

But I'll warn you that turn-outs can be very low. Star Wars was empty. Sin City was packed.

We've debuted inie films there before.

Tha Wookie
11-07-2005, 13:27
Is that two separate classes or can one attend one day and expect to get the full schedule? Sounds kind of packed for one afternoon, though . . .

Two speed,

I got you mail and will reserve your spot tomorrow (they are closed on Mondays). I just odered an Elk Hide to make our bowdrill cords out of. I hope it works out. You and the other students ought to leave with your own bow drill kit, or at least the peices and know-how to put it together if we don;t have enough time in class.

Anyone who is coming: Bring a sharp fixed-blade knife! Only fixed blades are allowed for safety (county liability).

Tha Wookie
11-07-2005, 13:37
By the way, anyone who comes to the Nov 12th night can camp at the beautiful park. It is really nice -big trees, great fall leaves now. There is fishing as well. I think there is a $10 fee to camp. Unforunatley, they lock you in the park at 6pm until the morning in leiu of a better system.

That option will not available for the Dec. 3rd course because they have a xmas light event. HOWEVER, you can stay that night on our 13-acre farm. I would offer this the first class, but I will not be here to host that night. We have a super nice trail and soft pine needle campsites.

please let me know in advance if you want to stay here. Families are welcome.

Lion King
11-07-2005, 15:04
What do you mean? Will you be down here? We'd love to have you!

Let me know---- i might be able to convince the Georgia Theatre owner (friend of mine, i used to manage it) to show your flick if you're coming.

It's a cool place, right downtown. It's a music venue wed-sat, movie place Mon-Tues. Serves beer.

But I'll warn you that turn-outs can be very low. Star Wars was empty. Sin City was packed.

We've debuted inie films there before.

Im in South GA right now...Thomasville, at my Moms place. Im actually planning on going hiking next weekend if the weather is still nice, or earlier if I can do it.

PM me your North GA info, and when I get there, or when I am able to get there I will give you a ring.

And if you want to set up a screening for anytime in the near future, do it.
I will show up, no matter when it is.

LK

SGT Rock
11-07-2005, 15:10
Hey Wookie, I tried to call in today for reservations, looks like they are closed. Can you put me down for three?

Tha Wookie
11-07-2005, 15:44
Hey Wookie, I tried to call in today for reservations, looks like they are closed. Can you put me down for three?

For the 12th?

SGT Rock
11-07-2005, 16:30
yes, the 12th.

Tha Wookie
11-07-2005, 16:33
yes, the 12th.

Ok, I'll let them know tomorrow. I'm pretty sure there are spots available.

SGT Rock
11-07-2005, 16:35
I assume I can pay when I get there.

Tha Wookie
11-07-2005, 16:50
Im in South GA right now...Thomasville, at my Moms place. Im actually planning on going hiking next weekend if the weather is still nice, or earlier if I can do it.

PM me your North GA info, and when I get there, or when I am able to get there I will give you a ring.

And if you want to set up a screening for anytime in the near future, do it.
I will show up, no matter when it is.

LK

I just talked with the owner of www.georgiatheatre.com (http://www.georgiatheatre.com). He said he was considering another documentary called "Barbeque is a Noun", and thought it would be great to have two different movies and make it "documentary night (my term)".

They have two showings a night -1 at 7pm and the next at 9:30 or something like that. The corn is $1 and salty and the beer is cold. under 18 is not permitted ever. it's been a while since I managed it (right before the AT). They all know about my hiking, and are familiar with the thru-hiking idea. Of course most of them think its crazy.

His idea is to have both movies, for two nights. But he said the second night is not for sure (they wait to see if any touring acts might pop over from Atlanta, cause it brings the $$). They hardly make anything on movies, but they love to show them anyway.

This is all pending the unpredicable showbiz factor. I can't confirm it yet until he calls me again. Hopefully it will work out.

You need to send me your #.

peace bro

BTW, they have one of those huge old-school marquees out front. It's an Athens gem.

AND, you could be here for the primitive skills course!

You can stay here.

Tha Wookie
11-07-2005, 16:52

I'm not really sure about that. You might have to send something in, becuase we can't take any money as volunteers. I'll let you know what they say.

Glad to hear you and the boys are coming!:D

Tha Wookie
11-08-2005, 12:45

Rock,

You can pay at the gate. I have it under "SGT Rock and his two boys".
I look forward to it. I just collected a red cedar that has been seasoning on my old rental property for 7 years. Should make a nice (and beautiful) bowdrill kit for ya'll each to take home with you. The elkskin should be here today or tomorrow.

As I mentioned, you should bring flixed-blade knives for carving. A small wood blade might help, but I will be bringing enough to get by on. There are restrooms but you might want to bring water even if the fountain's working.

Also, I just thought that it would be great to bring something to take notes. We will be covering some things that you can practice at home, that we won't have time to completely do in class. I'll need to tell what I did to prepare the wood, and some of the best ethnotechnologies (PC word for Primitive skills) are very precise and refined (over 10,000 years at least).

TW

Bassline
11-08-2005, 12:49
Hey man, I think I will drive up for this. I will make my reservations when I figure out if my friend can go with me. It is all good.

Bassline

Smile
11-08-2005, 13:22
How filled is the Dec 3 date? May want to sign up for 2, hotels nearby, may also camp at your place if invitation still stands ;-)

Bianchi Veloce
11-08-2005, 16:48
Got registered this AM. Looking forward to the education. Hike on.

Band Saw

jsarrel
11-09-2005, 01:54
Is the one week pre-registration for the course or the campsite? I would love to come this weekend (12th). If it's for the campsite I guess I'll just make other arrangements, if it's for the course, I'll pay whatever and just take home the knowledge. If it's a problem I'll just make my reservations for the 3rd.

Jason

Tha Wookie
11-09-2005, 02:19
Is the one week pre-registration for the course or the campsite? I would love to come this weekend (12th). If it's for the campsite I guess I'll just make other arrangements, if it's for the course, I'll pay whatever and just take home the knowledge. If it's a problem I'll just make my reservations for the 3rd.

Jason

I can override the one-week reservation. How many people with you?

There are still 4 spots I believe. You can pay at the gate. I can make reservations for you, just PM me your name and of others and I'll make a call.

the course is $8 for out-of-towners (cause we pay local taxes I guess), and the camping is $10 per night, I think that will be additional. They have really cool AT-style mini-shelters by the lake and room for tenting. Our space, the Wren's Nest, will be available and that thing is up there with the Ed Garvey Shetler. Don't forget this place was partially designed by Walt Cook. It's not huge, but very sweet.

Looks like this will be a very good class! i'm sure we'll all experience some great lessons! I do every time I practice primitive skills.

Much like hiking, sometimes the value is not where you get, but how you get there.:D

Make that 3 spots left!

REview this thread to see what you need to bring.

I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone here to dress for the weather!

Tha Wookie
11-09-2005, 02:26
Hey man, I think I will drive up for this. I will make my reservations when I figure out if my friend can go with me. It is all good.

Bassline

Which weekend? Let me know soon in it's for this one... it's filling up fast. I can call it in for you if you have any problems.

Tha Wookie
11-09-2005, 02:32
How filled is the Dec 3 date? May want to sign up for 2, hotels nearby, may also camp at your place if invitation still stands ;-)

it almost filled with a Cub Scout group, but we are scheduling them their own event now. So I think it is around 4-5 signed up now. I know people here in town who say they will, but who knows.

the farm is open for primitive skills students (Dec 3rd workshop only), overnight! We have not used the campfire pit yet....:D

Smile
11-09-2005, 04:30
Yes, for students of the psworkshop overnight for camping, thanks! I wasn't really clear, don't just want to camp any old time ;-)

Tha Wookie
11-09-2005, 10:40

Jason

I got your PM and just signed you up! :sun

For everyone else:
There are 2 spots left for this weekend! There are still more for the Dec 3rd.

Tha Wookie
11-09-2005, 15:12
The first class is now full. If you are interested in coming, please get a spot while they last in the Dec. 3rd course.

Thanks for all the interest. It will be a great time. See you all there.

TW

SGT Rock
11-09-2005, 17:17
Rock,
As I mentioned, you should bring flixed-blade knives for carving. A small wood blade might help, but I will be bringing enough to get by on. There are restrooms but you might want to bring water even if the fountain's working.

What size blade are you thinking would be good? I don't suppose a lock blade is what you are talking about. Currently I have either small lock blades for work - like my Gerber, and big knives - like my K-Bar. I was thinking that the right kind of knife for this class might make a good birthday present to go with the class for my son.

Tha Wookie
11-09-2005, 21:45
What size blade are you thinking would be good? I don't suppose a lock blade is what you are talking about. Currently I have either small lock blades for work - like my Gerber, and big knives - like my K-Bar. I was thinking that the right kind of knife for this class might make a good birthday present to go with the class for my son.

I use a 4 inch Mora. The great thing about moras is the wide bevel, which tends to hold a lower angle edge better than the more common double-bevel (like buck knives).

I would say 3-4 inches, fixed, with a sheath. It's too late for it, but Ray Jardine has a handle/blade kit on his site. Great project!

You can always buy a blade with a handle and put a homemade handle on later.

justusryans
11-09-2005, 22:40
I use a 4 inch Mora. The great thing about moras is the wide bevel, which tends to hold a lower angle edge better than the more common double-bevel (like buck knives).

I would say 3-4 inches, fixed, with a sheath. It's too late for it, but Ray Jardine has a handle/blade kit on his site. Great project!

Best knife I ever made was out of a old file. MAN,that thing would take an edge!

Tha Wookie
11-10-2005, 08:57
Hello,

First of all, I consider myself a student as well. All three of us instructors do, and have come together because we are not complete masters of primitive skills, but together can combine our best skills to be able to present to you a full introductory package of basic skills that will stay with you for a lifetime. Yesterday, I was amazed at my counterparts' knowledge of wild edibles. I will be taking lots of notes too!

We scouted out the site yesterday for the first time together, and are almost ready for the class. We still have some work to do cutting out the blanks for the bow drill kit and the elk skin for the thong (means strip of leather or hide). The site is really a special place. I do hope some people decide to camp.

The reason I am writing this is I want everyone from out of town to consider that there is a MAJOR college football game going on in town Auburn/GA that night. There will be considerable traffic heading into town that day. Please plan accordingly, and add an hour to your expected drive time to be safe.

DO NOT drive through the heart of downtown unless you don't mind gridlock. Fair warning!

If anyone wants to come tomorrow night and stay at the farm to avoid traffic on Sat., please let me know. If you do, note that the farm will not be available for camping Sat night, since I won't be here.

Luckily, Sandy Creek Park is outside of town, but there will still be some heavy traffic along GA 316 and 441 as you near Athens.

Also, if you planned on getting a hotel, you might want to call ahead of arrival. Most places will be booked.

We look forward to you!

Tha Wookie
11-13-2005, 14:09
Thank you every one who attended the first workshop of our Athens Root's Farm and Culture Series. It was a great success!

It was a real pleasure to meet Sgt. Rock and his boys. He is an even nicer and more outstanding person in person! Can you believe that? What a guy! It was a real honor for me. He even gave a stove making demonstration to some of the students before we started. Thanks for coming, Rock.

It was also great to meet Bassline, who I can tell is hungry for more knowledge and miles. I wanted so much to have more time to sit and talk with him about how these skills can be applied on LD hiking. They really have added so much to the value of the experience for me.

I look foreward to meeting the others coming for the next course, which incidentally, is now full.

We have had a huge response in interest for the course, and based on participant feedback, we plan on extending the timeframe to a full day, weekend, or even week-long courses.

While I still think a short session is invaluable to many people, just for sake of introduction, a more fully developed course is needed for people to really be able to apply these skills in the field.

There are other courses out there, but they are very expensive. I'm sure the costs can be justified, but I know I can't afford them.

If you are interested in taking a course, please notify me and I will add to the list of names for the waiting list.

This is KEY to getting the funding from the county to able to make it possible. So let me know if you want to be added.:sun

SGT Rock
11-13-2005, 14:45
Again, thanks Wookie for setting that whole thing up. It was a great learning expereince and it will only get even better with time as y'all perfect the system of instruction. My boys talked about it all night until I made them go to bed, and this morning again as we packed up.

Tell all your friends thanks again as well, and maybe this spring I can get to one of those longer they told me about.

For everyone else, the next class is already full, so when Wookie does another call, you better get in quick.

Tha Wookie
11-29-2005, 22:42
If you are attending the workshop this weekend, please let me know either here or via Personal Message.

Please, everyone remember to bring a sharp knife!

wookie

Bianchi Veloce
11-29-2005, 22:56
I will be there for the Dec 3 workshop.

Tha Wookie
11-30-2005, 01:26
I will be there for the Dec 3 workshop.

Great. can you email me a # where I can reach you?

Wook

Tha Wookie
12-04-2005, 13:06
I just wanted to follow up here and say that the second primitive skills course was fantastic -despite the rain and cold.

The intstructors were very lucky to have a very focused, patient, and tough class. They actually seemed glad that it was raining!

We were also lucky to be able to use the forest shelters furnished by Athens-Clarke County's Sandy Creek Park. It is truly a beautiful forest there!

Between showers, we had a great wild-edible walk, fire material gathering lesson, and then retreated to the shelters for bow-drill lessons.

Island Mama and Derrick (Education intern from National Geographic) were able to make a bow-drill fire in the rain, which we were glad to see after our forest hike!

We also made a demonstration shelter, with a water-proof design.

By the end, both us instructors and the students wanted more -but we had to stick to our time commitment with the Park.

We are currently designing more courses to be held at SAndy Creek Park.

Any input from interested people will be incoporated into our plans -so let us know if you have any ideas through which to expand the program!

Thanks for the input form the last class, we used it, and it improved the class significantly!:sun

Bianchi Veloce
12-04-2005, 14:02
Thanks to Tha Wookie, Catherine Stinson, Island Mama, and Derrick Ferguson for a great time of instruction. You guys rock! Count me in for any future classes.

I encourage the folks who can to consider taking any future courses this collective group holds. It was not only a time to learn potential skills in a survival situation, but also a time to tap into a historical perspective in how people used their skills and will of mind to overcome and adapt.

Now, time to practice some of the skills I learned.

LostInSpace
01-06-2006, 20:20

For future reference, if someone is not interested in making a handle, they can buy a KJ Ericksson Mora knife here: http://www.buckshotscamp.com/Mora-Red-Handle-Carbon-Steel-Sales.htm