PDA

View Full Version : The Paradox Unaweep - Contender for ultimate backpack

mankind117
02-11-2015, 09:15
I've been using the Unaweep backpack from seekoutside for the last 6 months and like it so much I wrote up a little review of it:

http://hikingandcampinginmdpaandbeyond.blogspot.com/2015/02/backpack-perfection-seekoutside-unaweep_10.html

Enjoy

oldwetherman
02-11-2015, 21:55
mankind117. Thanks for the great review. I've had an Paradox Evo for a year and I've used it for several hundered miles of "heavy" hauling when hiking with the family. You've convinced me to get a Unaweep for my solo trips.

blgoode
01-09-2016, 00:43
It is my main pack also. Sold all others. Will be trying the new divide soon to possibly replace my 3900 as my primary backpacking pack. They tweaked all the issues I had with the original release. Fixed the bottle pockets not being usable on the move, simplified the stretchy outer pocket with mesh and seems much more usable and corrected the pack bag barreling and pulling the frame away from your center of gravity.

Pretty excited about it after I have settled on the 3900 as my go to. Might be taking a back seat or be a workout pack and make my evo frame my extra.

Harrison Bergeron
01-09-2016, 08:46
Wow, your review was way more informative than the company's website. I don't know how you ever got the nerve to lay out the bucks in the first place. That outfit is in serious need of some marketing help. How did you choose between 4 versions of the "Unaweep", several at the same capacity, when it doesn't tell you how they're different? Not to mention 5 different versions of the higher-priced "Revolution". Or the fact that none of them list a weight?

Odd that they don't show an exploded diagram or something, or at least describe the theory of how it works like you did. I hope they get their act together soon It sounds like an interesting product.

(Side note -- when did BPL start charging for content? I must be way out of the loop.)

Venchka
01-09-2016, 12:33
Harrison,
I was on their site yesterday. I've been following them from the beginning. There is enough information there to convince me to drive to Grand Junction from Silverton in September to try on and buy a pack. The new graph of torso length vs. load range and weight under 3 pounds is all I need to know.
At last, the function of my Terraplane and nearly 4 pounds lighter. That makes more sense to me than spending equal to more money for a new tent to save less than two pounds.
The Unaweep rocks!

Wayne
Two months to my release from Houston.

Sent from somewhere around here.

capehiker
01-09-2016, 12:43
Wow, your review was way more informative than the company's website. I don't know how you ever got the nerve to lay out the bucks in the first place. That outfit is in serious need of some marketing help. How did you choose between 4 versions of the "Unaweep", several at the same capacity, when it doesn't tell you how they're different? Not to mention 5 different versions of the higher-priced "Revolution". Or the fact that none of them list a weight?

Odd that they don't show an exploded diagram or something, or at least describe the theory of how it works like you did. I hope they get their act together soon It sounds like an interesting product.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Their website is like a Choose Your Own Adventure book but with no guidance. I also don't understand if I would need the extenders or not. It should be and read something like "if you are X then you need Y".

This is a pack that is gaining quite the fan base, interestingly among the UL crowd, but if they can't have a easy to follow website, they are losing business. Plus, for $400+ I need to be sold why this pack is worth it, because, for half that price I can have a Six Moon Designs Fusion series that I know can carry whatever you put in the pack (disclaimer: I own a Fusion 50 and love it's weight carrying abilities).

egilbe
01-09-2016, 15:05
I own a fusion 50 and a fusion 65 and my Unaweep is still my favorite pack. Their website has progressed quite a bit in the last two years, believe it or not. Its much better now. My Unaweep is a 4800 in cuben fiber/nylon hybrid, which they no longer carry. I've added hip belt and shoulder harness pouches from Zpacks. Matches perfectly. Infinitely adjustable and can carry Tipi Walter loads if I wanted to...I really don't want to. I'm 6'3" and got the 4 inch extensions, but I think I could have gotten away with two inch extensions. I don't think their lightweight frame has changed much, if any and the current packbacks should still fit. Very comfortable pack. If I win the powerball this weekend, I'm hitting the trail next month ;)