PDA

View Full Version : Performance, Payload, Price

Bill_in_TR
02-11-2015, 12:44
I am planning on trying a return to some relatively tame backpacking at the age of 68. Depending on how it goes I may get more ambitious next year, health permitting.

The issues that I need to deal with are enumerated in the title of this thread. I have most of what I need in the way of equipment left over from when I last did some backpacking over 15 years ago. All of it was moderate to good quality gear back then. I loaded up my pack the other day with almost everything necessary in equipment and it weighs about 14 pounds with only a couple of items missing: a sleeping pad and a water filter. I have been investigating sleeping pads and haven't found what I want just yet. I have decided that I am going to use a Sawyer Mini as my water filter. My backpacking will be in warmer months in upstate SC so I don't need to concern myself with serious problems keeping warm.

If I decide to continue after this year then I have to give my equipment a serious evaluation. The problem is that as I look at the prices of what is considered the better equipment today it takes my breath away. Since what would be considered my base weight with my current equipment should come in under 16 pounds. While that is no where near what some folks consider ultra light or maybe even light weight, it does not seem to make me a total pack mule.

I figue I will soon learn just how well I am able to handle things with the equipment I have and the total pack weight I am faced with. But I have to wonder if I really need to concern myself with laying out a lot of money if I am able to handle what I have. Are there any other pack mules out there doing some reasonably serious trips of up to a week in moderate 3 season conditions.

LogHiking
02-11-2015, 12:56
16lbs is not too bad you are right. A decent lightweight number seems to be between 10-15 lbs. Below 10 is generally considered UL. I too was originally shocked at the prices of the better gear, but as you get a little, and realize the weight savings and quality/functionality improvements make your time out there more enjoyable and it eases the pain. With that said I'd take my 16lb base weight out on some short trips and see how it did. You are far from a super heavy base weight and if you can handle it and enjoy your time out there you are good to go.

The only thing is I would do some long day hikes with a base weight of around 10 and see how much that affects your hike. 6lbs is a lot more than people realize once its been on your back for a while and that 10lb base weight day hike might make you more motivated to spend some money. If it doesn't then keep what you got and get out there and enjoy it :)

Just Bill
02-11-2015, 13:16
I figue I will soon learn just how well I am able to handle things with the equipment I have and the total pack weight I am faced with. But I have to wonder if I really need to concern myself with laying out a lot of money if I am able to handle what I have. Are there any other pack mules out there doing some reasonably serious trips of up to a week in moderate 3 season conditions.

If when its all said and done- you end up around 30lbs packed up- you're fine.
In reality- as long as you can get 4-8 hours of hiking in who cares?
If you find that the pack weight is a limiting factor then worry about it, but likely simply getting out and hiking will get you in shape.
Look up some of Tipi Walter's trip reports. He's a heavy hauling pack mule!
30-35 pounds, despite what you are reading on here, is pretty darn average.
So is walking 4-8 hours a day and covering 5-10 miles per day. Even an AT thru hiker averages 25-30 lbs and 15 or so miles per day.
If you walk away from the car and spend the night with what you carried- you're backpacking. That's all you need to do for now.

Just get out and see what happens. As mentioned- you're doing summer trips- so a gear failure or other issue isn't exactly life or death, or even critical really.
If you get the bug- you'll get a better feel for it as you go- just get out and go from there. The worst that will happen is you will hike a few less hours or miles than you might like. Or you won't- and you'll be happy with what you're doing.

You don't need to Cuben it up and spend big bucks, and learning what you can do without will save you more weight and money than a do-dad will.
Maybe even see if you can go stoveless- that cuts out a whole set of gear right there.
Typically, believe it or not, an average ultra light kit is cheaper than an average backpackers kit.
Super Ultra light kits can be expensive, but that's when you are chasing grams and totally unnecessary.

Whatever you do- don't sit at home for lack of new gear.

LogHiking
02-11-2015, 13:25
Yea what ^^^ that guy said!

colorado_rob
02-11-2015, 13:47
Yeah, 16 base ain't bad at all really, as Bill says, probably better than the average on the AT at least.

I still have some of my 15 year-old gear that I use on short trips (save wear/tear on my $$$ stuff), car-camping, whatever, still good stuff, only 10-20% heavier maybe than new stuff. It's the gear from the 70's and before that tends to be really really out of date in terms of performance vs. weight.

You can save some weight w/o buying a thing probably, for example, Nalgene bottles have been around forever, right? Well, three of them weigh over a pound empty (6.5 ounces each). Substitute 1.5 ounce Gatorade bottle (or some other drink) and you save 14 ounces or so.

A set of $20 Dri Ducks might be all the rain/warmth over clothing you need vs. the 3 pound jackets I see out there. A 3-ounce pocket rocket stove is what, $40? Might be lighter than what you have. Or go Alcohol for basically free. Stuff like that.

Sirsnappy09
02-12-2015, 10:53
Good advice given above. It's nice to see some advice that does not include going out and buying everything New and ultra light. I have used a lot of home made gear for years and it has gotten me through thousands of miles and still functions great. As long as you can carry it and accomplish what it is you want to accomplish I would say it works.

Dochartaigh
02-12-2015, 11:27
I will add that I would do a very thorough inspection of your gear. 15 years is a long time to be in storage. Even if it's stored in a decently climate-controlled area you can still have things like dry rot, bug infestations (what the heck are those little white empty cocoons I sometimes find on my old gear?!?! ;) , even mold can crop-up given enough time and a little moisture. These things might not ruin anything, maybe just discolor it, but they can also weaken your gear to the point where it can fail when you're out in the field.

Bill_in_TR
02-12-2015, 11:40
Thanks for the nudges towards checking out my gear. I have so far done a lot of that but still have a few more steps I will take to make sure it is all still OK. I have had everything out and carefully eyeballed, unpacked and repacked and unpacked everything. I still intend to set up my tent and sleep a night or two in it in the yard, including a rainy night or two. I will also do some local day hikes with my pack loaded with my base weight equipment to make sure there are no issues. I may even throw in some extra weight to simulate the additional load of food and fuel. But so far everything seems to be in great condition in spite of lengthy storage.

q-tip
02-12-2015, 12:03
My three season kit cost $3,500 for everything and comes in at fifteen lbs. All top of the line gear that has never failed. I have an extensive gear list (3 season, summer, UL) . Send me a pm with your email and I will forward if interested.

Just Bill
02-12-2015, 13:14
Thanks for the nudges towards checking out my gear. I have so far done a lot of that but still have a few more steps I will take to make sure it is all still OK. I have had everything out and carefully eyeballed, unpacked and repacked and unpacked everything. I still intend to set up my tent and sleep a night or two in it in the yard, including a rainy night or two. I will also do some local day hikes with my pack loaded with my base weight equipment to make sure there are no issues. I may even throw in some extra weight to simulate the additional load of food and fuel. But so far everything seems to be in great condition in spite of lengthy storage.

Sounds like you got the right idea here too.
A simple car camping trip might be in order too if you're unsure about anything. You can store some extra gear in the car but otherwise treat the trip like a weekend backpack trip and hit the trail during the day. If something goes boom, worst thing that happens is you have to drive home in the middle of the night.
Being a car camping trip you can also hoist a cold beer outta the cooler and console or congratulate yourself depending on how it goes. :D

Have fun, you'll be fine and dandy!

Bill_in_TR
02-12-2015, 15:26
q-tip, I appreciate the offer but in all honesty I hope you were just pulling my chain. Since I am stressing out over paying an extra $20 to $60 for a sleeping pad I don't think a $3500 budget is even in my dreams.

Bill, a good idea about a test camping trip of sorts. I am very fortunate in that I can hike into Paris Mountain State Park in about 15-20 minutes out my back door and they have trail side camp sites there. I will do a couple of test runs there as well before going outback at all.

I am very happy with the area I live in from the perspective of outdoor activity. Once I am comfy with my fitness (which I am working on) and my equipment I plan on taking on the Foothills Trail here in upstate SC.

garlic08
02-12-2015, 20:05
As most have said, start with what you have and find out if you need to replace anything due to age. And start looking for the deals and sales. Sign up at Steepandcheap.com. I get an email from Gossamer Gear about sales, other cottage manufacturers may do the same.

My AT kit weighed under 10 pounds and cost about $850 for quality gear, including a new Marmot Helium 15 bag on sale for $260, a new Tarptent Contrail for $200, and a new Gossamer Gear pack on sale for $80. And I'm still using that stuff. For me, most of going lighter meant changing my trip focus and carrying less stuff.

mapman
02-13-2015, 07:47
Well said Just Bill.