PDA

View Full Version : old Eureka TimberLITE … needs new fly

pickNgrin
02-11-2015, 16:59
I have and old Eureka TimberLITE tent from the 1980s (not to be confused with the more popular TimberLINE). The LITE was a little smaller and lighter… and kind of the lightweight tent of its day (weighing in at a hair under 5 pounds). :eek:

The waterproofing on the rainfly broke down and got so sticky that you basically couldn't get it apart, so I tossed it years ago. The tent has gone unused since then, but apart from the fly it is in good condition. Now my daughter is looking for a tent to use for car camping. I would like to give her the tent, but without the fly it wouldn't be too good in a storm. The LITE never caught on and I doubt if I could find a replacement fly as it was a different size than the LINE.

Do y'all have some ideas about making a fly? I am thinking of trying to modify a blue tarp. I would welcome any suggestions. I am not too good at sewing. At this point I am thinking grommets and some kind of repair tape (if I have to cut the tarp down to size).

Walkintom
02-11-2015, 17:42
Before you go down this road - you may benefit if you try contacting Eureka. They may be able to help you out.

They may not on something so old, but it never hurts to ask. Call, don't send a 'contact us' email.

huntr
01-19-2016, 14:37
I have and old Eureka TimberLITE tent from the 1980s (not to be confused with the more popular TimberLINE). The LITE was a little smaller and lighter… and kind of the lightweight tent of its day (weighing in at a hair under 5 pounds). :eek:

The waterproofing on the rainfly broke down and got so sticky that you basically couldn't get it apart, so I tossed it years ago. The tent has gone unused since then, but apart from the fly it is in good condition. Now my daughter is looking for a tent to use for car camping. I would like to give her the tent, but without the fly it wouldn't be too good in a storm. The LITE never caught on and I doubt if I could find a replacement fly as it was a different size than the LINE.

Do y'all have some ideas about making a fly? I am thinking of trying to modify a blue tarp. I would welcome any suggestions. I am not too good at sewing. At this point I am thinking grommets and some kind of repair tape (if I have to cut the tarp down to size).
If you still have this tent, and have not had any luck in making a replacement fly, would you be interested in selling it? I have this tent and am looking for spare parts. Eureka no longer has any replacement parts for it.

chknfngrs
01-19-2016, 15:52
Walmart, Target, etc etc get a plastic tarp to use

chknfngrs
01-19-2016, 17:17
Or Craigslist like this: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/spo/5386095174.html

shelterbuilder
01-19-2016, 21:10
I agree with Walkintom - CALL Eureka about this. Even if they do not have any more replacement parts, they WILL have the original drawings/prints, and they may be willing to send you a copy (from which YOU could make one yourself). It's worth a try - the worst that they can do is say "no", and you'll be no worse off. FWIW, Eureka is owned by Johnson.

Mags
01-20-2016, 12:31
Not always, but many times the gear companies are tickled pink when someone calls needing a repair/replacement on older gear.

I forget where I read it (maybe here?) but someone contacted Kelty recently about parts for their old external frame. They repaired it for free. And Kelty has been owned by a big corporation for a while now, too. (http://www.exxel.com/)

Call Eureka first. As others said, you never know.

huntr
12-13-2016, 12:52

If you still have this tent, and were not successful in finding a fly, would you be interested in selling it? I am looking for spare parts for my timerblite tent.