PDA

View Full Version : MSR 210 gram canister burn times?

Rolex
02-11-2015, 20:24
I broke down and bought a MSR Microrocket and a SOTO MicroRegulator stove tonight to test(play) with and MSR isopro canisters for each that weigh 210 grams full.
I've been using alky stoves and a dragonfly.

Can you guys give me a rough idea how many burns I might get from them?

What an empty canister weighs for comparison?

I know there are a lot more variables. Just trying to get an "yeah, you'll get 10 burns but never 50 burns kinda thing."

Here's the way I use a stove currently. Temps are usually 50-80 F.

Toaks 750 ml Ti Mug with lid or SnowPeak 700 Ti with lid

Wind screen of aluminum foil on up wind side far back to avoid overheating.

Boil 1-2 cups water just to big bubble(rolling) boil. Then dump in ziplok and cozy.

Thank you,
Rolex

gbolt
02-11-2015, 21:30
Just purchased the Microrocket myself. 2 Oz canister = 4 0z of Fuel/Gas 7.50 grams start weight. 30 Minutes worth of burn time. 8 Liters /32 Cups 3.5 minute burn time to boil water. I am figuring 4 to 5 cups per day max. 2 cups per dinner and 2 cups of hot drink (coffee one in the morning and one at night) the 5th cup is either refill, oatmeal or overage amount. 5 cups per day equals 6 day's of fuel.

For eight oz canister just double everything and count on 10 to 12 day's worth of fuel. Research has validated these quantities and many say count on a new canister every 7 day's (2 oz.) or every two weeks (8oz). There will still be some carryover forcing the carrying of two canisters for 1 to 3 day's depending on your burn habits.

I myself don't want to mess with Canisters, so on a Thru Hike I plan on using my Caldera Cone System. However, for overnighters and short trips, I don't mind and actually enjoy the MicroRocket. Great update over my 25 year old Whisperlite White Gas Stove and a tremendous weight saver. It also requires less time to boil water!

Hope this helps.

Rolex
02-11-2015, 22:15
Perfect info! Thanks.

Just purchased the Microrocket myself. 2 Oz canister = 4 0z of Fuel/Gas 7.50 grams start weight. 30 Minutes worth of burn time. 8 Liters /32 Cups 3.5 minute burn time to boil water. I am figuring 4 to 5 cups per day max. 2 cups per dinner and 2 cups of hot drink (coffee one in the morning and one at night) the 5th cup is either refill, oatmeal or overage amount. 5 cups per day equals 6 day's of fuel.

For eight oz canister just double everything and count on 10 to 12 day's worth of fuel. Research has validated these quantities and many say count on a new canister every 7 day's (2 oz.) or every two weeks (8oz). There will still be some carryover forcing the carrying of two canisters for 1 to 3 day's depending on your burn habits.

I myself don't want to mess with Canisters, so on a Thru Hike I plan on using my Caldera Cone System. However, for overnighters and short trips, I don't mind and actually enjoy the MicroRocket. Great update over my 25 year old Whisperlite White Gas Stove and a tremendous weight saver. It also requires less time to boil water!

Hope this helps.

squeezebox
02-11-2015, 22:39
So what does the empty 4oz & 8oz canisters weigh? I'm thinking you have the same top and bottom, only the side is doubled.

gbolt
02-11-2015, 23:32
The empty weights 3.9 oz 110 grams - 8 oz 227 grams - 16 oz 450g. Full weight for 4oz was 7.55 oz. I am sorry that I don't have full weights of 8 or 16. However, if every 4 oz of fuel equals 3.5 ounces than 8 oz would be 7 fuel (3.5+3.5) + 8 oz canister = 14 oz Full weight. I'm no Math Magician but just know what my scale read. I also do thnk there isn't much of a backpacking market for 16 oz canisters. So it is more for the car camper.

I understand the point that only the sides are doubled with the same top and bottom. I thought about that fact when trying to decide what would fit inside my cook pot. I also believe the bottoms are the same because they use the same leg base that can be purchased as an accessory. I skipped purchasing that item because all the reviews stated that the MicroRocket (unlike the PocketRocket) did not seem to be unstable when in use. The base of the can has good surface area for stability on the ground and the burner unit is not long and thus the center of the can is stable under a cup filled with water. I have not had an issue with stability the few times I have practiced with it. No trail experience with it as of yet.

MSR really researched errors with the PocketRocket and other market products in this category and came up with a very well thought out stove. At least IMHO.

Rolex
02-12-2015, 09:00
The empty weights 3.9 oz 110 grams - 8 oz 227 grams - 16 oz 450g. Full weight for 4oz was 7.55 oz. I am sorry that I don't have full weights of 8 or 16. However, if every 4 oz of fuel equals 3.5 ounces than 8 oz would be 7 fuel (3.5+3.5) + 8 oz canister = 14 oz Full weight. I'm no Math Magician but just know what my scale read. I also do thnk there isn't much of a backpacking market for 16 oz canisters. So it is more for the car camper.

I understand the point that only the sides are doubled with the same top and bottom. I thought about that fact when trying to decide what would fit inside my cook pot. I also believe the bottoms are the same because they use the same leg base that can be purchased as an accessory. I skipped purchasing that item because all the reviews stated that the MicroRocket (unlike the PocketRocket) did not seem to be unstable when in use. The base of the can has good surface area for stability on the ground and the burner unit is not long and thus the center of the can is stable under a cup filled with water. I have not had an issue with stability the few times I have practiced with it. No trail experience with it as of yet.

MSR really researched errors with the PocketRocket and other market products in this category and came up with a very well thought out stove. At least IMHO.

I noticed that the MSR 210 gram full weight canister will fit inverted inside the TI snow peak 600 ml mg that a lot of people have. Inverted ,the bottom of the canister fits below the lip of the cup allowing a lid to be snapped on. (If I ever find that plastic lid that fits one!) not enough room for the stove in there though.

The MSR Microrocket without the hardcase will fit inside the Toaks 750 and Snowpeak 700 with a canister and be able to put the lid on.

Speaking of scales, is something wrong if I buy two pieces of gear gadgets and promptly run home to weigh them?

Farr Away
02-12-2015, 14:52

Speaking of scales, is something wrong if I buy two pieces of gear gadgets and promptly run home to weigh them?

No, you only need to start to worry when you find yourself carrying a scale with you, so you can weigh all options at the store. ;)

-FA

gbolt
02-12-2015, 18:28
No, you only need to start to worry when you find yourself carrying a scale with you, so you can weigh all options at the store. ;)

-FA

That made me laugh!

Caught me! I looked at weights and watched a You Tube Video at the Outfitters but waited till I got home and weighted the Canister, Stove, Case, Stove in Case, Stove on Canister, Stove in Case in Cup....

Batteries are going bad on my scale!

woodguy
02-17-2015, 11:21
Heck, I have been known to weight gear withmy digital pocket scale in Walmart...;)

squeezebox
02-17-2015, 11:29
I bring my scale to Walmart.

Rolex
02-17-2015, 11:57
Heck, I have been known to weight gear withmy digital pocket scale in Walmart...;)

hmmm.... Not that I would ever do that, but... where could I get one of those pocket digital scales? just wonderin....