PDA

View Full Version : GoFundMe for proposed SOBO thru hike

ki0eh
02-12-2015, 09:47
Thoughts?

http://www.gofundme.com/greateasterntrail

Scooter2
02-12-2015, 10:05
My thought is that people should save and pay their own way for life's adventures.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-12-2015, 10:17
I get it. You're worried someone will get there and do it before you get a chance to if you work to do it on your own but from my point of view, unless you are just seeking help from family and friends, to put it out there for the general public it's like asking people to pay for a trip to the Bahamas. That being said, good luck to ya.

swisscross
02-12-2015, 10:24
I would like for the public to pay for my family to go on a trip to Hawaii.
Maybe I can get enough funding to buy a custom Kamaka Pineapple while I am there.

The Solemates
02-12-2015, 10:26
I dont understand the negative comments when things like this come up. I for one vote with my dollar, by not supporting them. But I could care less that they ask. If there are idiots who give to them, then so be it. thats part of what makes this country great!

Sirsnappy09
02-12-2015, 10:56
What solemates said.

brancher
02-12-2015, 10:59
Cream-skimmers. Gotta love 'em.

goody5534
02-12-2015, 11:10
Disgusting self-promotion. Lacks originality. Have at least 1,000 other ventures I could donate $$$...

Francis Sawyer
02-12-2015, 11:22
Donate your spare $ to Wounded Warrior. Those people have EARNED it!

Hot Flash
02-12-2015, 11:26
If I am going to donate to any adventure, it will be my own. Things mean more to us when we earn them ourselves.

Malto
02-12-2015, 12:11
The most intriguing question for me....... Who is actually donating to these? Has anyone on here hit the donate button? I would love to hear why? (I really am curious, this isn't just an attempt to publicly humiliate.)

Traveler
02-12-2015, 12:47
Begging for 10 grand, with a thousand bucks to "fix" a camera?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

jawnzee
02-12-2015, 13:46
The most intriguing question for me....... Who is actually donating to these? Has anyone on here hit the donate button? I would love to hear why? (I really am curious, this isn't just an attempt to publicly humiliate.)

family and close friends

Wülfgang
02-12-2015, 14:28
Get a job and pay for your own hike.

DavidNH
02-12-2015, 14:58
I wish you the best of luck on your southbound journey. Please do send updates to Whiteblaze as I am sure that I many others would love to read about your trip.

That said, NO I won't be contributing a dime! It's your adventure. You pay for it.

Almost There
02-12-2015, 15:03
Hahahahahahahahahaha! Good luck to them.

gpburdelljr
02-12-2015, 15:40
I wish you the best of luck on your southbound journey. Please do send updates to Whiteblaze as I am sure that I many others would love to read about your trip.

That said, NO I won't be contributing a dime! It's your adventure. You pay for it.

I don't the the OP is the one asking for money. He just provided a link to a site where another person is asking for money.

Just Bill
02-12-2015, 15:47

I'm with you...
Otherwise, wounded warrior maybe, but realistically when I have spare cash it goes to ATC, Nature Conservancy, or a local trail organization.

Seatbelt
02-12-2015, 15:55
Looks to me like their best chance at getting support $$ would be from the "Contra-dancing" community in an effort to raise awareness of their existence. I never heard of it before........

ki0eh
02-12-2015, 16:17
I'm old enough to remember bumper stickers "CONTRA DANCING NOT CONTRA AID"

And, no, it's not my adventure, but someone sent me the link. I'm not sure what to think about it.

Mags
02-12-2015, 16:48
As someone else said up thread, does not really bother me. If someone wants to send them money, go for it. At least it is honest begging. It is not how I would do it, but no one is forcing me to donate either.

Better than the shadier charity events (where most of the donations support the person and not the charity) or kickstarter campaigns where the promised goods do not arrive.

Southeast
02-12-2015, 19:11
People donate money on the Twitch site/app to watch others play video games. Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to how people spend their money.

q-tip
02-13-2015, 12:33
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saltysack
02-13-2015, 16:49
I'm with you...
Otherwise, wounded warrior maybe, but realistically when I have spare cash it goes to ATC, Nature Conservancy, or a local trail organization.

Me too.....plus Sierra club...reminds me...need to renew ATC....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shelb
02-13-2015, 21:06
From what I read, the poster didn't misrepresent anything. Thus, anyone who wants to fund them should be considered a "Trail Angel." People "sponsor" hikers in different ways. I guess I might donate $10 to someone because I can't be there to provide trail magic...

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-13-2015, 21:48
I dont understand the negative comments when things like this come up. I for one vote with my dollar, by not supporting them. But I could care less that they ask. If there are idiots who give to them, then so be it. thats part of what makes this country great!

I thought I was responding to a sincere request from the owner of the GoFundMe account as people seem to post under different names in different forums. Perhaps it would be helpful for people to put a disclaimer on the post when they bring notice to such outside links. And I don't think what was initially said in response was negative but right forward opinions.

Traveler
02-14-2015, 07:32
I thought I was responding to a sincere request from the owner of the GoFundMe account as people seem to post under different names in different forums. Perhaps it would be helpful for people to put a disclaimer on the post when they bring notice to such outside links. And I don't think what was initially said in response was negative but right forward opinions.

Agreed, and you were. The original post had a link and just asked "thoughts?". So thats what followed and included all thoughts, from curmudgeon thoughts to altruistic thoughts. Though I did like the "honest begging" angle, panhandling has become a practiced art over time.

bemental
02-14-2015, 22:34
Thoughts?

I'll raise you one (http://www.bemental.me/gofundme/)

squeezebox
02-14-2015, 23:06
The go fund me that sticks in my craw, is Habitat for Humanity, I'm living in my 6th house, ( Yes I am an addict) 3 were gut rehabs, 3 were massive rehabs. Nobody gave me materials, donated labor, or any thing else.
So who are the Habitat for Humanity folks with steady jobs who think they deserve a free house.
The people they give houses to are solid steady working class folks, that if they spent their money wisely could afford to buy a house.
Thanks for letting me rant, I feel better!!

shelb
02-17-2015, 22:55
Yes, it is honest begging.

Perhaps, I should create one for "Curt's kids" -
College & Law school = $220,000 (plus!)

Then again, my high school senior plans on spending our Florida spring break on the beach with a friend, singing and playing music -soliciting donations for college. Not sure if they will get much, but they will definitely add an atmosphere with both of their talents!

Shutterbug
02-18-2015, 00:21
Thoughts?

I often make donations and loans -- primarily thru http://www.kiva.org. One thing I always take into account is whether or not the person seeking help is doing all they can. I don't contribute until I am convinced that the person in need has done all they can to meet their own needs. That is what is missing for this request -- they have not shared what they are doing to generate funds.

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 00:26
I often make donations and loans -- primarily thru http://www.kiva.org. One thing I always take into account is whether or not the person seeking help is doing all they can. I don't contribute until I am convinced that the person in need has done all they can to meet their own needs. That is what is missing for this request -- they have not shared what they are doing to generate funds.I 've seen your selfless givings on these boards before, your a very generous man shutterbug. I don't want to assume, but I gotta think you give to other organizations as well, call it a hunch. rhetorical question.

wornoutboots
02-18-2015, 09:25
I'm leaving for the Caribbean in a few days, would anyone want to kick in some $$$ so that I can spend freely & maybe even stay a little longer if I want to? I'm wanting to raise awareness for HAWC......... (How Awesome Winter is in the Caribbean)!! PM me if you want to mail me a check. Thanks!!

brancher
02-18-2015, 10:48
This is sickening. Well, but really, it's not their fault. It's the dumba$$e$ who send 'em money. Heck, I shouldn't be surprised - that's how all those wigged-out televangelists get going, too.

I'm seeking balance for my soul by hiking thru this year as well (if I make it)..... 'cause my soul needs some flippin' balancing too, after working since I was 14 years old, staying married for 30+ years, and getting 2 kids thru college. Please send me money NOW!

....and you don't even have to pay for my dog.

Francis Sawyer
02-18-2015, 10:53
"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Shutterbug
02-18-2015, 17:32
I 've seen your selfless givings on these boards before, your a very generous man shutterbug. I don't want to assume, but I gotta think you give to other organizations as well, call it a hunch. rhetorical question.

Thanks Rocketsocks. For the last two years, my wife and I reached our personal goal of giving away more than we spent on ourselves. There is satisfaction in generosity.

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 17:39
Thanks Rocketsocks. For the last two years, my wife and I reached our personal goal of giving away more than we spent on ourselves. There is satisfaction in generosity.
It truly is a great thing to be able to give with no expectation of a return, a true gift. I'm sure you worked hard all your life in order to be able to do that, good deal. :sun