PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for a section to include Roan Balds?

Namtrag
02-12-2015, 10:19
I am trying to plan a 6-7 Day, 5-6 night trip for late June to see the Roan Highlands and the rhododendrons. When I google, I just get the short trip from Carver's Gap to US-19.

Just throwing it out to see if anyone has ideas for a longer section hike for a group where we will probably do 10-12 miles per day max. We are older and love dawdling and camp time as much as we do the actual hiking! So anywhere from 60-84 miles.

I had thought maybe Damascus south to Carver's Gap, and it seems like 85 miles is what I see for that distance. But is it prettier to come from the south, and end north at US-19?

Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance!

Tennessee Viking
02-12-2015, 11:51
June time is usually very warm in TN. Water sources tend to dry up from Damascus until Laurel Fork Gorge. You can always do Devils Creek Gap/Erwin to Roan/Dennis Cove or Damascus to Roan. There are a number of bail out points from Watauga Lake to 19E.

The hike up Roan is somewhat steep from the south but its a whole lot more graded going NOBO.

Just be sure to check out Kincora, Black Bear, or Mountain Harbour.

Slo-go'en
02-12-2015, 11:56
That's kind of a tough section, but a nice one. I would suggest Erwin, TN (Uncle Johnnies) to Hampton (Kincora hostel) with a stop at Mountain Harbor B+B half way (US91E). That's about 74 miles. Sort of a toss up as to which way to go, I think going SOBO would be a little easier.

Namtrag
02-12-2015, 12:27
Thanks guys, look forward to looking up the points you guys mentioned. As always, this place is a great resource!

Namtrag
02-12-2015, 13:18
That's kind of a tough section, but a nice one. I would suggest Erwin, TN (Uncle Johnnies) to Hampton (Kincora hostel) with a stop at Mountain Harbor B+B half way (US91E). That's about 74 miles. Sort of a toss up as to which way to go, I think going SOBO would be a little easier.

Can you take a look at the linked map and see if I am getting the route you suggest...

http://www.unclejohnnys.net/appalachiantrailmap.html

Starts where the AT crosses the Nolichucky, and ends just to the left of where it says "Laurel Fork Gorge"?

I am trying to send this map to my friends and I want to make sure I tell them the right section on the map.

Thanks

Namtrag
02-12-2015, 14:07
I went on an AT distance calculator and put in Nolichucky River to US 321 in Hampton, and it is saying 83 miles, so I am hoping the Kincora Hostel is short of Hampton by 9 miles, so your 74 mile figure is the right amount for us! Not sure we could make 83 in 7 days, and even 74 will be a good pace for us.

It also looks to be about 90 miles from Carver's Gap to Damascus, so I think that's a little too far. If we skip north enough to make it doable, it looks like we miss the Roan balds area.

Slo-go'en
02-12-2015, 16:02
You can shave about 2 miles off the start by eliminating a road walk from Uncle Johnnies and starting at the NOC camp instead. Stopping at Kincora instead of outside Hampton at Watuga lake saves 9 miles and a PITA hill to go up and over.

Looking at the shelter spacing you really need 8 days to do this trip or you'll have to do a couple of long days, at least one of them a kick butt day. The 8 day itinerary already has one 16 mile day in it, but it's the last day to Dennis cove (Kincora) and is the easiest part of this section.

If 7 days also includes travel time, then you should really shorten the distance. If you have to spot cars at both ends, that will eat up the better part of a day right there too. Maybe you should just go from Uncle Johnnies to Mountain harbor. That's gives you Beauty spot, Roan Mt, Jane Bald and the Humps which are highlights of that section. The Humps are the last of the balds, from then on it's all just a walk through the green tunnel with just the occasional and limited vista - until you get to NH.

Namtrag
02-12-2015, 16:46
You can shave about 2 miles off the start by eliminating a road walk from Uncle Johnnies and starting at the NOC camp instead. Stopping at Kincora instead of outside Hampton at Watuga lake saves 9 miles and a PITA hill to go up and over.

Looking at the shelter spacing you really need 8 days to do this trip or you'll have to do a couple of long days, at least one of them a kick butt day. The 8 day itinerary already has one 16 mile day in it, but it's the last day to Dennis cove (Kincora) and is the easiest part of this section.

If 7 days also includes travel time, then you should really shorten the distance. If you have to spot cars at both ends, that will eat up the better part of a day right there too. Maybe you should just go from Uncle Johnnies to Mountain harbor. That's gives you Beauty spot, Roan Mt, Jane Bald and the Humps which are highlights of that section. The Humps are the last of the balds, from then on it's all just a walk through the green tunnel with just the occasional and limited vista - until you get to NH.

Haha, except for Grayson Highlands, you are right about the tree tunnel! Is this a section where you must stay at the shelters? We usually tent camp and never stay at a shelter unless we have to.

Yeah, it looks like the Uncle Johnnies to Mountain Harbor section would be about 40ish miles. We have a solid 6 days to hike, as we will be driving down on a Saturday, arriving at one end in the pm, leaving our cars, tent camping or staying there, having them shuttle us on Sunday, and then hike back to the cars by Friday. Then either stay again, or drive to and stay in Asheville, where we will have a celebratory shower and feast! Wake up Saturday and drive home, leaving Sunday to recover.

The 40 miles in 6 days would certainly be relaxing and less than 7 miles per day.

The other option for the trip being suggested by my buddy is, ironically enough, to do a 5-6 day trip in the Whites. I saw that you were up in NH, so you probably have some trips up there we could do as well (hint, hint!) lol

We are flexible in that we can go in June or July.

Namtrag
02-12-2015, 17:18
June time is usually very warm in TN. Water sources tend to dry up from Damascus until Laurel Fork Gorge. You can always doDevils Creek Gap/Erwin to Roan/Dennis Cove or Damascus to Roan. There are a number of bail out points from Watauga Lake to 19E.

The hike up Roan is somewhat steep from the south but its a whole lot more graded going NOBO.

Just be sure to check out Kincora, Black Bear, or Mountain Harbour.

Wanted to double check with you on the bolded language above...is this basically the trip Slo-Go-En suggested as well? I am a little sketchy on where Devil's Creek Gap is, but the Erwin to Dennis Cove seems to be the Johnnys to Kincora route from what I can tell.

bigcranky
02-12-2015, 18:44
Don't start at Carver's Gap, as that is north of the rhododendron gardens on Roan Mtn itself. If you must start close by, start at Hughes Gap, just south of Roan. The climb will, um, get your attention :)

If it were me I would start at Erwin. You get Beauty Spot, then some nice hiking with decent views in places, then Roan, then the balds north of Roan, which are terrific, then drop to 19-E. That's about 4 days, then resupply at Mountain Harbour hostel (spend the night and get breakfast!) and keep hiking. You get some nice views heading north from 19-E and I think you can make it to Kincora Hostel in 3 days from 19-E. If you want to shorten it, start at Indian Graves Gap north of Erwin, and end at Kincora.

Namtrag
02-12-2015, 19:17
Don't start at Carver's Gap, as that is north of the rhododendron gardens on Roan Mtn itself. If you must start close by, start at Hughes Gap, just south of Roan. The climb will, um, get your attention :)

If it were me I would start at Erwin. You get Beauty Spot, then some nice hiking with decent views in places, then Roan, then the balds north of Roan, which are terrific, then drop to 19-E. That's about 4 days, then resupply at Mountain Harbour hostel (spend the night and get breakfast!) and keep hiking. You get some nice views heading north from 19-E and I think you can make it to Kincora Hostel in 3 days from 19-E. If you want to shorten it, start at Indian Graves Gap north of Erwin, and end at Kincora.

Thanks for the great tips, Ken. You might remember helping me the first time I went to Mt Rogers. Great info on a secret campsite!

I found another AT distance calculator which actually has Indian Grave Gap on it, and calculated to USFS 50 at Dennis Cove (which is where I believe Kincora's is), and it gave 67 miles. So it appears to save 7 miles. Did I do the right calculation?

Also wanted to make sure...this is USFS land the entire distance as I can tell, meaning we can camp anywhere as long as we are far enough off the trail? We may stay at a shelter or two, but we aren't required to be shelter-only, right?

Slo-go'en
02-12-2015, 20:03
There are a few tenting areas along the way, some of which are noted in the AT Guide (which you should get if you don't already as that make planning much easier), but you should stay at the shelter sites which all have room for tents near-by.

bigcranky
02-12-2015, 21:08
Technically I think you could camp anywhere, but of course there are long stretches where it's not really possible. There is no requirement to stay in shelters in this stretch.

Namtrag
02-12-2015, 21:40
I put my hands on my 2012 AT Guide. Looks like plenty of camping spots. I found it odd how the Roan High Knob, Stan Murray, and Intermountain Shelters are so close together. We would be starting at 350 or so, and to stay at Mountain Harbour, we'd have to do 40 miles in 3 days...hmmm. I did plot some stops at 363, then Roan High Knob Shelter at 375, then 385, 398, and 409. I am sure there are plenty of changes to come. Lol

TNhiker
02-12-2015, 21:44
Technically I think you could camp anywhere, but of course there are long stretches where it's not really possible. There is no requirement to stay in shelters in this stretch.

yeah....

there's enough campsites that one could avoid the shelters altogether...

which would be my suggestion based on the time i saw overmountain shelter with 36 people in it...........

Studlintsean
02-12-2015, 22:59
I did the section from Iron Mountain Gap to 19E and it was awesome. I would recommend staying at Overmountain Shelter (we camped in the field next to the actual shelter) or plan to stay on top of the Balds just past Overmountain Shelter. I have a short trip report I wrote to share with my brothers but I can email it to you if you send me your email address.

TNhiker
02-12-2015, 23:19
I would recommend staying at Overmountain Shelter (we camped in the field next to the actual shelter) or plan to stay on top of the Balds just past Overmountain Shelter

id water up at the shelter then head up to the balds to camp.......

much nicer up there, imo.............

Slo-go'en
02-12-2015, 23:48
I wish people would not camp on the balds. Bad idea and can be real dangerous when a thunderstorm pops up.

Tennessee Viking
02-13-2015, 09:53
I would recommend the NatGeo maps or ATC maps. That NPS map is obscure in detail.

If you need to shave miles off. Park at Uncle Johnny's or at Chestoa Rec. Either use Johnny's shuttle service or 10-K's HikerShuttles.com service to Indian Grave Gap. Beauty Spot and Unaka are a most visit. The hike from the Nolichucky and Jones Branch Hollow is scenic. But the hike up to Curley Maple and IGG is a good climb and very shaded.

You can either finish off at Kincora at Dennis Cove, or take the Blue Blaze trail out to Hampton.

Namtrag
02-13-2015, 14:22
Thanks, everyone! Still trying to nail our group down for a specific week, but have narrowed the hike down to do the Indian Grave Gap to Kincora's section, which I believe to be about 67 miles. June is not looking good, so it looks like we will miss the prettiest time of year. :(

More likely we will go in mid-July. I am sure it will still be plenty beautiful.

Since we aren't starting at Uncle Johnnies, any suggestions on shuttles? We would want our cars to be at Kincora's, if he allows us to pay to park there. But I cannot find any info on whether he shuttles. Anyway, we would need a place at the north end, where we could leave 2-3 vehicles, be shuttled to Indian Grave Gap, and then hike north back to Dennis Cove Rd. I do see that the Black Bear Hostel is about a mile off the trail on Dennis Cove Rd, is that a better place to leave vehicles and be shuttled from?

bigcranky
02-13-2015, 16:30
Bob Peoples, the owner of Kincora and one of the best people associated with the Trail, has shuttled us many times, though it's been a while. Just keep calling until he answers. :)

cj2874
02-13-2015, 22:28
I did sams gap to 19e a little over 70 miles I believe. We took 2 days to get from Sams gap to Uncle Johnny's which required one long day. But the route hits big bald, beauty spot, Unaka Mountain with the spruce forest, the Roan Balds and breakfast at Mountain Harbour!