PDA

View Full Version : Antigravitygear quicksilver ultralight hammock system

mulligan54
02-12-2015, 15:51
Has anyone heard any reviews or had any experience with this hammock system? I am thinking of swapping my Hennessy for one.

Dochartaigh
02-12-2015, 20:29
I think the general consensus is you can do a little better by piecing together exactly what you want for right around the same weight and price as that A.G.G. setup...and I'm talking about pretty high-end gear here. You could get a nice Warbonnet Mamajamba tarp ($110/14oz), and a super-high end Dream Hammocks Darien hammock with a much nicer integrated bugnet for $150 and 21 ounces with all suspension (and it would come with legal width 1" wide tree straps, and more robust PolyD 1.4 fabric - Dream Hammock won't even make hammocks out of the 1.1 weight fabric AGG is using due to reliability issues).

Add some masons line for guylines for the tarp, and even with .2 ounce Vargo titanium tent stakes you're still at the same price and weight as the AGG – maybe an ounce or over which is well worth it for the added features and durability. If you want doors for your tarp (which costs extra for both), you can get buy full-length doors for the Mamajamba tarp, or upgrade to the Superfly tarp instead (which comes with integrated doors, and is only $20 more than the Mamajamba).

mulligan54
02-12-2015, 20:37
Thanks, the Warbonnet and Mamajamba was on the top of my list, just saw this and wondered about feedback on the product. Didn't know about the fabric issue, thanks again.

Dochartaigh
02-12-2015, 21:34
Don't get me wrong, lots of lighter-weight people use 1.1 oz/sqyd fabric for a hammock, but it's durability for something like a thru hike can be lacking unless you're super careful with it (just like most ultralight gear).

I'm also a fan of hammocks with integrated bugnets when compared to a regular hammock + stand alone bug net like the AGG has (integrated is just SO much easier for me to use). Maybe it's because I live in the NJ area which is mosquito heaven, but it's also because when I compared the weight of a simple Dutch 11' hammock (~10oz) + the weight of a bugnet (6-7oz), I was at the same weight as the Dream Hammock Darien with it's integrated bugnet (mine is 16.37 ounces with double ended stuff sack, ridgeline, ridgeline organizer, and 2x continuous loops).

gunner76
02-13-2015, 00:28
The Mamajamba is a great tarp and I have been using one for about 4+ years now.

While Braided Mason ( do not use twisted ) line is low cost, it has the nasty habit of tangling worse than any other lines I have tried. I am going back to Zing It. The Mason Line is a fraction of a gram lighter than Zing It but we are only talking about a gram or two for all your tarp tie out lines. Also I would not trust Braided Mason line as a ridge line for a tarp as it has a very low breaking strength ( 70+ lbs ).

I prefer to use a hammock with a bug net as I live in an area loaded with ticks, deer flies and skeeters. I also find that the bug net keeps me from kicking my TQ out of the hammock at night.

If you really want to save some weight then get a cuben tarp. I have two from Hammock Gear that have doors and weight 8+ ounces each plus tie outs

Dochartaigh
02-13-2015, 09:57
While Braided Mason ( do not use twisted ) line is low cost, it has the nasty habit of tangling worse than any other lines I have tried. I am going back to Zing It. The Mason Line is a fraction of a gram lighter than Zing It but we are only talking about a gram or two for all your tarp tie out lines. Also I would not trust Braided Mason line as a ridge line for a tarp as it has a very low breaking strength ( 70+ lbs ).

Completely agree with the above, but I had to at least appear to come under the cost of the AGG setup and Zing-It is expensive! (think I use 100ish feet after I'm done splicing everything and that's $20+ worth of line!).

Just bought some Zline 1.25mm to try out, but I think it's going to tangle too much for the 1/2 ounce weight savings over Zing-It.

Just Bill
02-13-2015, 11:30
I second the others- basically for a "kit" or one stop shop to try hammock's out- it's a pretty good combo.
If you devote a little more effort you could do better on cost/weight/personal choices.
On the other hand- if you can't answer those questions- it's a decent place to start.