PDA

View Full Version : Roan Mt Hike 3-4days

Sloturtle
02-12-2015, 19:15
Planning on doing a section hike in June not familiar with this area at all. Suggestions for staying at a hostel night before starting, leave car at hostel, get shuttled to trail head and then hike back to hostel in 3-4 days. Really only want to do 10 miles or so each day. Thank you for your help.

map man
02-12-2015, 19:42
Stay at Mountain Harbour Hostel (a place with a very good reputation) at US 19E, leave your car at the hostel, get shuttled to Iron Mountain Gap on TN107/NC 226 -- this would be 30.7 miles of hiking.

saltysack
02-12-2015, 19:55
I did that exact section last February...great trip...cold as sh$$!!!! I have a pic I took on that trip as my screensaver...http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/12/83dc9245bec3f59be1065474bd95a7ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JumpMaster Blaster
02-12-2015, 20:01
I echo exactly what map man said. Do the hike NOBO, that was how I did that section last year, and it was in late June. Be prepared for rain, even if it's only partly cloudy down at Mountain Harbour. You can easily do it in 3 days, but if you want to linger on the highland balds (you will), stretch it out, relax, and enjoy the scenery. Note- the spring at Ash Gap is unreliable

Studlintsean
02-12-2015, 23:16
I did this hike this past May with 3 of my brothers. I wrote up a quick trip report after the trip outlining our logistics, where we slept, the terrain, water, etc.. Send me your email and I will email it to you if you are interested.

MuddyWaters
02-13-2015, 00:09
Mountain harbor is great. Best place to park and get shuttle from. Whether you spend night there or not, plan to eat breakfast there. Make sure you are FIRST on their list to get shuttled. Make your reservation ASAP. Otherwise you might find you not on trail till noon or so.

Nothing to add, but you have choice of Carvers gap, hughes gap, iron mountain gap, indian grave gap, or starting at Uncle Johnnys in Erwin, depending on how far you want to go. Give some thought to future section link ups, some places are easier than others. For instance, ending a future section in the middle of nowhere with less secure parking, isnt as convenient as ending it at Uncle Johnnys. For future sections, starting at Uncle Johnnys would be easiest, and be about 50 miles. Easily doable for 4 days.

Indian grave gap includes Beauty Spot, and is about 43

Alleghanian Orogeny
02-13-2015, 09:16
From where the road ends at Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel, it's only a quarter mile or so to the AT (Greasy Creek Gap?). By whatever name, it's between Iron Mtn Gap and Hughes Gap, thus enabling a finer tune on the distance.

Looks like Saltysack's Feb 2014 picture above is Grandfather Mountain, NC. Nice shot!

AO

Sloturtle
02-13-2015, 09:25
thank all of you sooo much this is very helpful. Hey saltysack any chance I will get a photo op like that in June LOl Take are and enjoy you hikes.

cj2874
02-13-2015, 22:07
One of the most beautiful places I have hiked. Did Sam's Gap to 19E and stayed at Mountain Harbour in the hostel. The Roan Mountains are amazing, especially if the weather cooperates and gives you long views.

July
02-13-2015, 22:38
Depending on start/finish, check out Greasy Creek Friendly...

Sloturtle
04-07-2015, 12:56
I have my date pretty well nailed down to the week of June 14th. Any thoughts on what the temperatures will be that time of the year? Don't want to over pack.

wornoutboots
04-08-2015, 13:30
I have my date pretty well nailed down to the week of June 14th. Any thoughts on what the temperatures will be that time of the year? Don't want to over pack.
If you have solid dates, I would contact Mountain Harbour NOW, they can fill up pretty quickly.
Enjoy!! It's a great section & I'm actually heading back out to do it again in a few weeks with my brother.