PDA

View Full Version : boots vs. trail runners

tommyc
02-13-2015, 15:19
Unfortunately I have worn out some Vasquez boots and I have to make a decision on next footwear. I have endured foot pain on every hike I have went on, most recent pain, Achilles.

I have extremely flat feet and have never tried anything but boots.

If anyone has rectified flat foot issues with a particular shoes or boots, please advise.

Thanks

Ktaadn
02-13-2015, 15:28
Have you looked into why you have flat feet? You may be walking wrong.

soumodeler
02-13-2015, 15:33
I see you are from Atlanta. Take a weekday and drive up to Franklin, NC to Outdoor 76 and talk to Rob. They are amazing at fitting boots and shoes. Helped me out with my shoes and have not had trouble since.

saltysack
02-13-2015, 16:40
I see you are from Atlanta. Take a weekday and drive up to Franklin, NC to Outdoor 76 and talk to Rob. They are amazing at fitting boots and shoes. Helped me out with my shoes and have not had trouble since.

Yep bought my lhg solong 6 from him...great store....beer also! Why not do the 24 mile standing Indian loop while you are there and try out those new shoes.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Del Q
02-14-2015, 10:04
My experience is that low tops are better than boots, they do not really provide ankle support. Plus, I am assuming that all of us wear low top shoes all of the time, only to put on hiking boots to backpack?

I also like superfeet or moldable inserts vs the thin ones that come with all footwear.

peakbagger
02-14-2015, 11:52
Trail runners with montrail heat moldable inserts are the way to go.

takethisbread
02-14-2015, 12:08
Inserts and running shoes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connie
02-14-2015, 12:29
If Rob at Outdoor 76 can't help, then Good Feet? They build soft or hard insoles. I have Good Feet MAX for metatarsal arch breakdown, heel strike and lateral stability. Last forever. Worth big $$$.

Sirsnappy09
02-14-2015, 14:00
Altra lone peak. I love them.

greerkp
02-14-2015, 18:35
Unfortunately I have worn out some Vasquez boots and I have to make a decision on next footwear. I have endured foot pain on every hike I have went on, most recent pain, Achilles.

I have extremely flat feet and have never tried anything but boots.

If anyone has rectified flat foot issues with a particular shoes or boots, please advise.

Thanks

I work at an outfitter and like to think the folks at your local shop can help you out a lot and if possible I'd definitely try and go to an outfitter and it sounds like a lot of folks have had success with Outdoor 76 so it'd definitely be worth a shot. The other posters have made some great comments and suggestions especially in regards to super feet. I've begun to transition to barefoot running which has started to collapse my arches and found that SuperFeet work wonders for me, another good brand to try would be SOLE however I've found there's to be too stiff for my preference. As for shoe recommendations there's no shoe or boot that's any better than the others it all comes down to insoles, I'd suggest finding the most comfortable shoes or boots you can and then popping in a pair of Super Feet for added arch support, most retailers should have some for you to slip into your shoes and try out there in the store. Hope ya can find something that works for ya!

BikerEagle
02-14-2015, 20:47
I too have flat feet. Currently using Vasque Breeze in the wide width. They are comfy, but not as light as I would like. The upper eyelets are tough to get right though. (Understand this years model has corrected this sniglet.) Also have worn Merrill Moabs low and mid, and they're o.k. Narrowness of most boots are the main reason for discomfort of "we folks with flat feet".

squeezebox
02-15-2015, 00:08
I have a cut nerve in my calf, presents itself a lot like planter's fasciitis. I need a stiff sole that trail runners do not provide. 2 1/2 lb boots for me. I think just maybe I hear a lot more about blisters and severe beat up feet from the trail runner folks, than the boot folks, maybe.

LoneStranger
02-15-2015, 08:00
There are advantages and disadvantages to both, but the bottom line is what makes your feet happy. If you are going to wear boots I highly suggest carrying very light camp shoes/water shoes. The extra weight in your pack all day is worth it when you need them for a water crossing and especially when you put them on as soon as you make camp :)

JBandStacy2014
02-18-2015, 12:05
I am so glad I found this - we are headed to Franklin, and I am having HUGE issues with my boots. I too have flat feet and I feel like the narrowness is too much for my feet.