PDA

View Full Version : AT Journal

greerkp
02-13-2015, 16:56
Hey guys so I'm only two weeks out from taking off on the trail and I've started to put together a little trail journal so feel free to check it out and sign the guest book! I'd love to hear what you guys have got to say about gear and other choices or wanna see how my decision to use mail drops ends up working you can follow me along on my trip at http://trailjournals.com/KGontheAT hope to hear from you guys!

CarlZ993
02-13-2015, 21:48
Most hikers either don't use mail drops or use very few mail drops on their hikes. I used them almost exclusively. I had no problems. I would mail more food drops to businesses if I were to do it again. I had to rush to a PO on Sat one day to catch it before it closed. Made it w/ 20 min to spare (lot of stress that morning). Had to leave late out of several towns to wait for the PO to open (I prefer to hike early & get miles in before it gets warm).

Gook luck on your hike. As long as you keep plugging & keep body parts out of a cast, you'll finish your thru-hike. Just don't listen to the demons between your ears. They'll try to talk you out of your hike.

jupiterkn
02-13-2015, 22:01
Send drops to outfitters? Or where besides PO's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

greerkp
02-14-2015, 02:18
Most hikers either don't use mail drops or use very few mail drops on their hikes. I used them almost exclusively. I had no problems. I would mail more food drops to businesses if I were to do it again. I had to rush to a PO on Sat one day to catch it before it closed. Made it w/ 20 min to spare (lot of stress that morning). Had to leave late out of several towns to wait for the PO to open (I prefer to hike early & get miles in before it gets warm).

Gook luck on your hike. As long as you keep plugging & keep body parts out of a cast, you'll finish your thru-hike. Just don't listen to the demons between your ears. They'll try to talk you out of your hike.

Thanks for the input Carl that's been the one thing I've been thinking about but I tried to plan it out so I'd hit town during the week, but as we all know life is what happens when you're busy making plans. I may use Jupiters suggestion of shops since I work in one

Send drops to outfitters? Or where besides PO's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow Jupiter I can't believe I hadn't thought about that haha I work at retailer here in my home town, I'm gonna have to ask my boss if he knows anyone who might be able to help. The only other 100% place I could think of was the PO's since with flat rate boxes the PO has t hold the package for 30 days

soilman
02-14-2015, 10:21
If you don't have already get a copy of the AT Companion or Guide. They will tell you about resupply points. There are alternatives to PO's in many locations, eg. motels, hostel, outfitter, etc. I used a limited number of drops on my thru hike. Usually in towns or points where there was no decent or convenient resupply, like Caruntunk or Port Clinton. Getting to PO's during operating hours can be a hassle. I knew I would not make it to Port Clinton on time so I called and had them forward my box to Palmerton. I got to Palmerton before my box. Ended up picking it up in Kent. Didn't need it at that time.

msupple
02-14-2015, 11:55
I see you're sporting a netless ENO. A mouse found it's way into my netted hammock during my AT hike resulting in near cardiac arrest. :) Just sayin! If it had been a big hairy spider, I'd probably already be in the Promised Land. :)