PDA

View Full Version : Clothing suggestions for late April Ga section hike

Gregg00SS
02-13-2015, 19:54
This will be my first section hike and just want to ensure I'm properly prepared. We'll be heading out on April 26th and expecting 7-8 days on the trail.

- 2 or 3 pairs of darn tough socks
- 2 pair ExOfficio boxer briefs
- 2 pair synthetic short sleeve shirt
- 1 synthetic long sleeve shirt
- 2 pair convertible pants
- Outdoor Research down jacket

Probably be purchasing a Frogg Togg Ultralight rain jacket but find the pants to be too baggy so may just bring a jacket only. Anything I'm missing? Yall think I should pack a top/bottom base layer or is that overkill considering the time frame of our hike?

Turtle-2013
02-13-2015, 22:11
I'll be curious how others respond ... I think a lot of it is personal preference!

BUT, I'm doing a section hike of Georgia earlier in April (7-12) and based on my experience hiking the southern AT in April the past several years.

I will be wearing: short-sleeve ultra light shirt, Crag-hopper quick dry pants, quick dry briefs, darn tough socks, toe-sock liners, hat, belt

I will have packed: extra toe sock liners, 2nd pair of quick dry briefs, long sleeve synthetic shirt, super light weight shorts, beanie hat

---in the spring and fall I carry liner gloves, and ear muffs

---depending on the forecast I will probably bring my heavier Rain Jacket, instead of the Marmot Micro I normally carry

If it gets REALLY cold ... below freezing when I'm not sleeping ... I will use my down quilt as a "coat"

I keep it pretty light and hike to stay warm ; )

Rain Man
02-14-2015, 09:41
April in the southern Appalachian mountains can be nothing like April in Florida. Don't count on a warm, sunny stroll on some beach. I've read more people die of hypothermia in cool, wet weather shoulder seasons than in cold, dry winter weather.

I would get rid of the extra t-shirt and extra convertible pants. I would add long-john top and bottom for sleeping in and emergencies. I'd have full rain gear (also it's wind gear). I'd add gloves, a Buff, and knit cap.

The coldest nights I ever spent on the AT was on top of Standing Indian Mountain in a July, just over the border from Georgia. Another very cold one was at Tray Mountain Shelter in the same area. In both cases, I was a novice who mistook the "sunny South" as applying equally to mountain elevations.

In my estimation, not only are you not doing "over-kill," rather you are "under-killing" it.

Rain Man

Harrison Bergeron
02-14-2015, 10:12
I'm struggling with the same question. Maybe I'll see you on the trail. I'm leaving April 20 for a month.

I don't see much cold weather gear in your list. From the trail journals I've read, I thought we needed to be ready for temperatures down to freezing and frequent cold rain.

Here's my clothing list:

3 pr hiking socks: Wigwam Merino Comfort Hiker 6.3oz
3 pr liner socks: Wigwam F2161 Coolmax XL liner 5.4

Rainshell: Marmot Precip 13.6
Rainpants: Driduck 4.5
Rain mittens: MLD eVENT Rain Mitts 1.3
Light fleece jacket: Marmot Reactor 100wt Fleece Jacket 14.0
Down Vest: Eddie Bauer 800fill DOWNLIGHT® VEST 9.4
Gloves: Army glove liners 2.6

Long pants: Exoficio Nomad convertible pants 11.4
Long sleeve shirt: REI Sahara LS tee shirt 8.3
Short sleeve shirt: Walmart Starsports SS 5.5
Light shorts: Campmor running shorts with pockets 4.9

Long underwear bottoms: Patagonia Men's Capilene 2 Bottoms 6.0
Long underwear top: Patagonia Men's Capilene 2 Crew Shirt 6.1
2 pr Underwear: Under Armour O Series Boxerjock Briefs 7.8
Boxers for sleeping: Fruit of the Loom 2.6
Stocking hat: Fleece hat 2.0
Camp socks: Fleece slippersocks 2.4
Camp shoes: Fake knock-off Crocs 8.4

7 lbs 10.5 oz total

I'm seriously considering leaving the down vest at home (if freezing not expected) or swapping the fleece/vest combo for a Primaloft puffy jacket (for the same weight as the fleece alone). Downside of the puffy is that I think it would be too hot to hike in, while the fleece works for hiking well down to freezing and (I'm hoping) in camp as well, if combined with the down vest. Personally, I wouldn't want my only jacket to be goose down in rainy weather.

I'll probably also wind up leaving the light shorts, boxers, and one pair of socks, which would get me down to 6lbs, 5.7oz. If I could be sure I won't be shivering in my tent, I might leave the long underwear, too.

The problem is that this Texas boy just doesn't know what temperature range to expect in the Spring on a mountain in Tennesee. I have a feeling that some days will hit the 70's with some nights in the low 30's.

But GreggOOSS, I sure like your list better if April in Tennessee turns out to be the same as April in Texas.

Turtle-2013
02-14-2015, 15:44
Followup on my previous ... I have hiked the Southern AT, NC/TN or VA, early every April for the past four years. I've been snowed on, and it has been below freezing one or more nights each trip. In my opinion, your "protection" against hypothermia should be the proper sleep gear for YOUR needs. Even below 32 degrees, while actually hiking I have to be careful not to get sweaty with a t-shirt, long-sleeve shirt, and heavy rain/wind coat. The colder it is, the more important staying dry becomes, and so down puffs, and the like are for in camp ... they are far too warm if you are going to exert yourself hiking. Obviously, to each his/her own ... but I make every thing I carry do double duty ... I enjoy a very light pack ... AND I stay very comfortable. ... that said, since it is in YOUR pack, carry as much as you need to so that YOU will feel comfortable!!!! Happy Trails :)

fastfoxengineering
02-14-2015, 16:54
This will be my first section hike and just want to ensure I'm properly prepared. We'll be heading out on April 26th and expecting 7-8 days on the trail.

- 2 or 3 pairs of darn tough socks
- 2 pair ExOfficio boxer briefs
- 2 pair synthetic short sleeve shirt
- 1 synthetic long sleeve shirt
- 2 pair convertible pants
- Outdoor Research down jacket

Probably be purchasing a Frogg Togg Ultralight rain jacket but find the pants to be too baggy so may just bring a jacket only. Anything I'm missing? Yall think I should pack a top/bottom base layer or is that overkill considering the time frame of our hike?

me, personally, here's what i'd take

hiking clothes
- socks
- boxer briefs
- running shorts
- button up long sleeve
- bandana/buff/ballcap
- sunglasses
- gaiters

in the pack
- lightweight long underwear bottoms
- lightweight long underwear top
- surplus wool glove liners
- beanie
- down hoody
- sleep socks
- light fleece
- frogg toggs rain jacket
- frogg toggs rain pants
- disposable vinyl glove rain shells

a wind shirt is nice too

so is an extra pair of running shorts for camp if its too warm for long johns

The best advice I ever got a clothing system for backpacking is....

"if you can't wear it all at once, your bringing too much clothing"

this does not apply to socks.

Just Bill
02-14-2015, 17:08
I would suggest clothing for late april in Georgia.
It's warm, but not warm enough to go without.

Turtle-2013
02-14-2015, 17:40
"if you can't wear it all at once, your bringing too much clothing"
this does not apply to socks.

ditto ... although I don't think it applies to briefs either ... one extra pair of each is a good idea.

Harrison Bergeron
02-15-2015, 10:01
So veterans, which would you choose for the midlayer? Light fleece you can hike in plus a down vest for camp? Or a single primaloft puffy jacket that's probably too hot to hike in but saves 9.5 ounces and is much warmer in camp?

PMAG's suggested the fleece to hike in but didn't say what he liked for camp use. If it's cold enough to hike in a 100 wt fleece, it seems like you'd be freezing your butt off with nothing more than that same wet, lightweight fleece when you stopped. And if you go with the synthetic puffy, what do you hike in?

scyankee
02-15-2015, 10:24
About socks I can't wear the ones that have the elastic band around the top. It leaves a deep impression on my leg. Can anyone recommend a brand and where I can find them?

JeanneBecker
06-01-2015, 05:50
You have choosen good combination of clothing. I think clothes should be branded and customised so that they will last longer and are comfortable. You can also include shorts, gloves, sunglasses into your list. To know more you can visit here (http://morepromo.ca/).