PDA

View Full Version : instruments on the trail

brother brzo
02-14-2015, 10:14
any one try thru-hiking with an instrument, been thinking of either bringing my banjo or my penny whistle. thinking the penny whistle would be the better option. so, any tips?

Tuckahoe
02-14-2015, 10:21
Please if you have to choose, bring the banjo! Please please please!!

Around here the penny whistle amounts to one of those quaint and cute souvenirs that mom and dad have to buy lil Johnny who then commences to tooting the damn thing all the time and everywhere. The common feeling locally is the desire to shove it so far down the parents throats that they whistle Yankee a doodle every time they fart! :p

Have I mentions how I feel about penny whistles?

takethisbread
02-14-2015, 12:11
any one try thru-hiking with an instrument, been thinking of either bringing my banjo or my penny whistle. thinking the penny whistle would be the better option. so, any tips?

Are u thruhiking or going on tour? [emoji450][emoji41]

Make a choice IMO see lots of instruments in GA in April but they are hard to find with those who finish in Maine in September

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
02-14-2015, 12:24
Penny Whistles are pretty shrill, but a small bamboo flute or recorder type instrument can sound really nice out in the woods.

String instruments are too bulky and heavy to carry for too long, so they quickly get abandoned. The joke is if you want a nice backpacking guitar or banjo, go to a pawn shop in Erwin.

RobUgly
02-14-2015, 12:58
Always finding instruments left behind at shelters. They make great firewood when its raining.

ridingpa
02-14-2015, 14:02
Backyard insturments makes a cheap lightweight banjo, and it has a nice mellow tone. I have taken mine camping but never backpacking. I would not take an expensive insturment.
Few years back a guy carried a tuba the whole way.

Traveler
02-14-2015, 16:40
Drums. You should bring a full set of traps. There are a lot of folks with guitars, uses, harmonicas, fiddles, dulcimers, banjos, maracas, recorders, and the ever popular tones generated by the Penny Whistle. A drum set would provide the last incomplete piece to any band you could imagine assembling.

kayak karl
02-14-2015, 16:46
just one more reason not to use shelters !

Slo-go'en
02-14-2015, 16:47
Drums. You should bring a full set of traps.

Really, no need. You can bang on anything. Find a couple of sticks and a hollow log...

Onda Road Again
02-14-2015, 16:56
I'm thinking about bringing my harmonica on my CT hike this summer. I'm worried about annoying other hikers if they're camped close by though so I'm still up in the air on it. Also want to shave another pound or so and that 4 oz is awfully enticing to leave behind!

takethisbread
02-14-2015, 17:36
Always finding instruments left behind at shelters. They make great firewood when its raining.

Haha! I saw a few this year. People talk about instruments but thruhiking is a job. It's fun but it's serious business . Who brings a banjo to their job?

Old Hillwalker
02-14-2015, 18:13
Hey Hey, a full size bagpipe would be the best way. If you want to be avoided in your campsite methinks. You ought to be able to heat your food with it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Op1Mng4oY

Just Bill
02-14-2015, 18:24
Musical instruments are always welcomed on the trail.

Unfortunately they rarely come equipped with someone who can play them. :D

cutter
02-14-2015, 23:35
A few years ago a thru-hiker carried and played a french horn.

MrGonzalo
02-15-2015, 01:21
I'm bringing my uke. Thought about taking the tin whistle, but brass doesn't do well with humidity!

Traveler
02-15-2015, 08:07
Musical instruments are always welcomed on the trail.

Unfortunately they rarely come equipped with someone who can play them. :D

How true is this! lol

Hoofit
02-15-2015, 08:16

You will tend to run into the same folks all along the trail , at least as far as Harpers Ferry when the numbers thin out...sure hope you know a lot of tunes!

bigcranky
02-15-2015, 09:30
I'm thinking a double bass would be the best choice, it can't weigh much more than Tuba Man's tuba.

Banjos are really heavy and the weather is going to ruin any kind of decent instrument. Bring the whistle if you must. :)

Thinspace
02-15-2015, 10:24
I vote for bagpipes! They sound awesome when you hear them coming from off in the distance out of the fog.

squeezebox
02-16-2015, 00:42
The sound of bagpipes over the next mountain is magic

perrymk
02-16-2015, 10:33
I thought I might try bringing an intrument when I am able to thru, but two points came to mind.

1. I have absolutely no musicl talent whatsoever.
2. Even if I did have talent, I am sure more than a few people would be annoyed at my musical taste.

As far as it goes, my instrument of choice would have been an ocarina. I even bought a small wooden ocarina in case.

1azarus
02-16-2015, 10:37
I'm bringing my uke. Thought about taking the tin whistle, but brass doesn't do well with humidity!

who makes your uke?

movats
02-16-2015, 11:14
How about a squeezebox?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

squeezebox
02-16-2015, 11:41
My box weighs 10 lbs., bulky, and the bellows made of cardboard and tape would not last very long.

MrGonzalo
02-16-2015, 23:02
who makes your uke?

For the hike, I'm bringing my plastic Makala. Best sound at 50 bucks, and don't have to worry (much) about the elements. Kala is coming out with a new model this April - the Waterman. All plastic, nice sound, perfect for the elements.

shakey_snake
02-17-2015, 00:14
any one try thru-hiking with an instrument

You just made me flash back to college when I took a part time job where I carried 100lbs of surveying equipment in the woods around Eastern Kentucky.

rocketsocks
02-17-2015, 00:25
You just made me flash back to college when I took a part time job where I carried 100lbs of surveying equipment in the woods around Eastern Kentucky.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkLE-vBSh0QAzuQZVhq8RUC76vnYc45_KY3Wq4nYO8ysDJLW9ECj-Rb8FD:www.vannattabros.com/adospics/chain.jpg

could have been worse...rods and chains.

rocketsocks
02-17-2015, 00:35
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRa4nQgncDQmeIoFMv9IP9RqTLUvu7rc 5fNxpqaF5DIYr-og7Z1WA:www.andysmusic.com/photos/Yamaha-GL1-Guitalele-2.jpg

I have one of these, Yamaha Guitalele GL1

about the size of a uke, tuned AD/GCEA so can be played with uke chords as well

on sale about $79 bones, sounds pretty darn good and stays in tune, lowering the action a bit will help playability.

Old Hiker
02-17-2015, 08:39
http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine (http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine) 17 Feb 2015

swisscross
02-17-2015, 10:45
How about a Kalimba? Some are quite small and compact.

Jake2c
02-17-2015, 11:04
I'm thinking about bringing my harmonica on my CT hike this summer. I'm worried about annoying other hikers if they're camped close by though so I'm still up in the air on it. Also want to shave another pound or so and that 4 oz is awfully enticing to leave behind!

I am considering a harmonica also and going through the same decision process. Found I am already heavy and would like to carve off about 4 lbs if possible. Also don't want to bug people so I am leaning towards not taking it at the moment.

squeezebox
02-17-2015, 12:08
I've seen a carbon fiber guitar, does anyone make a carbon fiber uke? Is it possible to make a 6 string uke/guitar?

Seatbelt
02-17-2015, 12:18
[QUOTE=Jake2c;1946952]I am considering a harmonica also and going through the same decision process. /QUOTE]

Last time I tried to play a harmonica, it sounded, well.. terrible but at least it reminded me of kissing an old girlfriend--evey other tooth was missing!! :D

Onda Road Again
02-17-2015, 14:27
[QUOTE=Jake2c;1946952]I am considering a harmonica also and going through the same decision process. /QUOTE]

Last time I tried to play a harmonica, it sounded, well.. terrible but at least it reminded me of kissing an old girlfriend--evey other tooth was missing!! :D

Haha! I'm not too good myself and that's another reason it'll probably be left behind. I bought it 3 months ago thinking it'd be pretty easy (I play guitar, piano, and saxophone). Boy was I wrong! These suckers are hard to carry a tune on.

Tipi Walter
02-17-2015, 14:46
Please, no music in the backcountry; keep your ego in check. The last thing I want to hear is human generated noise. It's bad enough with all the overhead jet traffic and loud screaming motorcycles on the valley roads---Harley wails and howlings.

We had this discussion before---

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-29302.html

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-87304.html

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-71458.html

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-67826.html

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-45031.html

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-93968.html

1azarus
02-17-2015, 17:49
I've seen a carbon fiber guitar, does anyone make a carbon fiber uke? Is it possible to make a 6 string uke/guitar? I have a polycarbonate uke -- called an Outdoor Ukulele. bought it from whiteblazer fastfoxengineering. it is (slowly) growing on me, and will bring it with me hiking three season from now on -- which is quite a concession from a committed UL hiker. ...so, if you see me, fastfoxE, you will recognize me. My guess is that the previously posted:
Kala Makala Ukuleleweighs less... and might well sound better, for less money. how much does it weigh? A Fluke Flea uke seams to weigh in about the same as the Outdoor Uke.

kayak karl
02-17-2015, 19:45
Please, no music in the backcountry; keep your ego in check. The last thing I want to hear is human generated noise. It's bad enough with all the overhead jet traffic and loud screaming motorcycles on the valley roads---Harley wails and howlings.

i agree 100% , maybe a mime playing an air guitar, but that's it ;)

JaketheFake
02-23-2015, 01:44
How about a squeezebox?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My mom has a squeezebox... She wears on her chest.

ccartertn
02-23-2015, 02:00
I bet when Daddy comes home, he never gets no rest...

Old Hiker
02-23-2015, 07:41

I bet when Daddy comes home, he never gets no rest...

Is she playing all night?

egilbe
02-23-2015, 07:58
Is she playing all night?

And the music's so right.

JaketheFake
02-23-2015, 11:57
I am sorry I started that... No wait, I am not, it made me smile. Thanks for playing along folks.

brother brzo
02-23-2015, 17:44
wow, wasnt expecting so many coments on this one
thanks 4 the tips

bigcranky
02-23-2015, 17:46
I am sorry I started that... No wait, I am not, it made me smile. Thanks for playing along folks.

Yes, thank you, I needed the laugh.

brother brzo
02-23-2015, 17:57
i do kind of agree with the weight issue 4 the banjo, but i've been making my own banjos for a few years now and know a few ways to keep the weight down, that's really why that's still an option 4 me