PDA

View Full Version : Ashby's Gap

rgarling
11-01-2005, 15:27
Where does the AT cross highway 50 at Ashby's gap? I have driven by that intersection many times, but have not been able to spot it. Can anyone describe it, or have a picture of where the trail hits the road?

flyfisher
11-01-2005, 16:12
It is about 100 yards west of the top. There is an AT marker in the median right there. Just a couple hundered yards north of the gap, there is a side trail to a parking area, so I presume that parking area can be found from the road that leaves the gap, headed north. Another possible parking area is Doc's BBQ about 3/4 of a mile down the hill to the west. The best walking is on the eastbound side of the divided road. The westbound lanes have almost no shoulder.

I was able to park at the taxidermy shop at the top of the hill, but make sure the owner is asked, or he may tow the car. If I had known about the parking area, I would have tried that first.

rgarling
11-01-2005, 16:51
I was able to park at the taxidermy shop at the top of the hill

I stopped in that lot and looked around for the trail a bit. There is a dirt road that comes out of the woods adjacent on the down hill side. Is that the trail? (I didn't see any blazes).

flyfisher
11-01-2005, 18:56
I stopped in that lot and looked around for the trail a bit. There is a dirt road that comes out of the woods adjacent on the down hill side. Is that the trail? (I didn't see any blazes).

No. It is 100 yards down the hill toward the BBQ (which is very good BBQ by the way.) Look for the AT sign on a post in the median.

Rick

rgarling
11-02-2005, 09:34
Rick,
thanks for the info. I think the next time I drive by there my wife & I will take an extended break. A stop at the BBQ for lunch, and a walk back toward the state park sounds nice.
Ray

wilconow
11-02-2005, 11:26
The AT crosses US 50 .25 mile west of Ashby Gap, which is a mile past Paris. Take a right on VA 601 (Blue Ridge Mtn. Road). There is a PATC 10 car parking lot on the west side of VA 601 (on a hill) about .2 miles north of US 50.

There are blue blazes down to the trail. In December I'm moving within a half hour of Ashby gap. Anyone need a shuttle, let me know.

wilconow
11-02-2005, 12:28
also, after you take the right on 601, look for the trailhead parking sign on your left