PDA

View Full Version : NIMBLEWILL GAP USFS 28 vs. Amicaloloa

2009ThruHiker
11-01-2005, 15:47
Does anyone know the condition of this forest service road # 28 at Nimblewill Gap? I've heard it mentioned as a good starting point avoiding some of the Amicalola approach to Springer. Also, are there any other options where a car (non 4-wheel drive) could drop a person to avoid Amicalola? ... also I don't want to have to back track South from a drop point. Thanks!

Lone Wolf
11-01-2005, 15:55
USFS 42 brings you to within .9 of a mile to Springer. 4 WD not needed. Nimbelwill Gap is a bad road.

MDSHiker
11-01-2005, 15:57
I agree with L Wolf.

max patch
11-01-2005, 16:18
I started my thru at Nimbelwill Gap using FS28 to get there. It was the first and last time I ever used that road. Horrible road. Road was actually closed for a while around 10 years or so ago. I remember reading in the GATC newsletter where a maintence trip was canned because the driver in a 4wd Ranger turned around rather than continue on that road.

FS42 from the Elijay side is a good 6.5 mile road.

And why avoid Amicalola? Its way overrated in terms of difficulty. The hardest section can be avoided altogether if you have your ride drop you off at the top of the falls.

Would be interested if anyone has been on FS28 this year with a report.

gravityman
11-01-2005, 16:50
Does anyone know the condition of this forest service road # 28 at Nimblewill Gap? I've heard it mentioned as a good starting point avoiding some of the Amicalola approach to Springer. Also, are there any other options where a car (non 4-wheel drive) could drop a person to avoid Amicalola? ... also I don't want to have to back track South from a drop point. Thanks!

Best way to get to Springer is www.hikerhostel.com Amazing deal for $55 with a pickup from the airport (actually, the marta station, but close enough) bunk for the night, breakfast and a ride to USFS 42 trailhead in the morning. Hopefully they will still be around in 2008 :)

Gravity

Sly
11-01-2005, 18:16
Best way to get to Springer is www.hikerhostel.com Amazing deal for $55 with a pickup from the airport (actually, the marta station, but close enough) bunk for the night, breakfast and a ride to USFS 42 trailhead in the morning.

Wow, that IS a awesome deal for anyone flying in to Atlanta.

lobster
11-01-2005, 19:14
Make sure to tip them!!

11-01-2005, 22:27
Make sure to tip them!!

No tips rquired. But I will have the wedsite updated this week. (I hope) And we will raise our "special" price to $62.

Also the trip to Nimbelwill can not be done in a car. It must be a truck. 4wd is not needed. I was just up there and go there several times a year and have never needed 4wd but it must be high clearance.

bigmac_in
11-02-2005, 08:23
FS42 is definately the way to go, I was just there last weekend. It's an easy hike to the summit of Springer from there.

I'll also vouch for the good folks at Hiker Hostel. They gave us a shuttle back to our SUV after a section hike. Thanks Leigh!

gravityman
11-02-2005, 10:59
No tips rquired. But I will have the wedsite updated this week. (I hope) And we will raise our "special" price to $62.

Also the trip to Nimbelwill can not be done in a car. It must be a truck. 4wd is not needed. I was just up there and go there several times a year and have never needed 4wd but it must be high clearance.

Still an excellent deal! We took advantage of it this spring, and we went back at Woody Gap 'cause it was so dang cold March 1-2.

Gravity and Danger

max patch
11-02-2005, 11:18

Good info about Nimbelwill. Thanks for posting.

For anyone who doesn't know where Springer is relative to Atlanta...to get a ride to Springer plus room and a meal for $62 is INSANELY CHEAP. Just the shuttle alone is worth more than that. Ya'll take advantage of this deal before these guys wake up and come to their senses!