PDA

View Full Version : Stuff sack sizes

hannah.freeman.9250
02-15-2015, 11:46
What size stuff sacks do you all recommend for clothes and food for a thru?

RangerZ
02-15-2015, 14:19
What size stuff sacks do you all recommend for clothes and food for a thru?

Without trying to be smart, whichever size fits.
I started with three dry sacks from Outdoor Research,small, medium and large. Small 7.75”x13”,medium 9.5”x15.5”, large 10.75”x22”. Istill keep my food in the large and my clothes in the medium. I was putting my Sawyer mini squeeze, waterbags and AquaMira in the small but just changed to putting them in my tent framebag because of a better fit in an outside pocket.
I think you’ll find that you will accumulate extra stuffsacks. My sleeping bag came with a stuffsack and a mesh storage sack. I put itin a dry sack when I’m out on a trail. So the stuff sack is just hanging at home. My pot came with a mesh bag but with a cozydoesn’t fit any more so it’s in a stuff sack and the mesh bag is just hangingaround.
Others with more experience may agree/disagree, and thereare also those who espouse no stuff sacks, but I like the organization.

Malto
02-15-2015, 14:55
Agree with RAngerZ on whatever fits. I would suggest using two food bags. One with today's food and I used to keep lunch stuff in it. The other, food for later days that isn't needed today. Today bag goes near the top and the later days food near the bottom. Another consideration, pillow. If you are using a stuff sack as a pillow, which I do, make it out of something more comfortable than say cuben and size it smaller so that it keeps shape when stuffed with extra stuff.

yerbyray
02-15-2015, 16:58
Agree with RAngerZ on whatever fits. I would suggest using two food bags. One with today's food and I used to keep lunch stuff in it. The other, food for later days that isn't needed today. Today bag goes near the top and the later days food near the bottom. Another consideration, pillow. If you are using a stuff sack as a pillow, which I do, make it out of something more comfortable than say cuben and size it smaller so that it keeps shape when stuffed with extra stuff.

Malto hit the nail on the head. Two for food; one for the daily rations and the other for trip food. The daily ration bag is a gallon zip-lock freezer bag that has a few reinforcements of duct tape on edges. One thing I like to do is convert the "trip" bag to be a hanging bag with a little sewing. Here is a tip....add a few stripes of reflective material so at night your food bag is more noticeable amongst the others hanging around.

Sirsnappy09
02-15-2015, 18:34
What stuffsacks. That is what your pack is for.

kayak karl
02-15-2015, 18:50
if you want make a stuff sack out of trash bag, tyvek or cloth to get an idea of size. then buy on. i'm not a fan of stuuf sacks except for clothes and food. my food is cuben from Heartfire and clothes is cloth cause i use it for pillow.

jimyjam
02-16-2015, 01:43
I have a sea to summit ultrasil for my clothes and a ZPacks bear bag for my food.

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

RangerZ
02-16-2015, 12:17
Without trying to be smart, whichever size fits.
I started with three dry sacks from Outdoor Research,small, medium and large. Small 7.75”x13”,medium 9.5”x15.5”, large 10.75”x22”. Istill keep my food in the large and my clothes in the medium. I was putting my Sawyer mini squeeze, waterbags and AquaMira in the small but just changed to putting them in my tent framebag because of a better fit in an outside pocket.
I think you’ll find that you will accumulate extra stuffsacks. My sleeping bag came with a stuffsack and a mesh storage sack. I put itin a dry sack when I’m out on a trail. So the stuff sack is just hanging at home. My pot came with a mesh bag but with a cozydoesn’t fit any more so it’s in a stuff sack and the mesh bag is just hangingaround.
Others with more experience may agree/disagree, and thereare also those who espouse no stuff sacks, but I like the organization.

I’m also thinking of a “things that shouldn’t freeze” - filter, AquaMira, phone, camera, glucometer – stuff sack to keep in the sleeping bag. In nice weather I just put small items in my hat beside the bag but in the winter I put them in the bag, typically loose. A stuff sack will keep them together.

Feral Bill
02-16-2015, 12:55
I almost always use sacks that fit a medium weight sleeping bag. If one's not full, that's okay. 8 x 18 I'd guess.

bemental
02-19-2015, 09:44
I'm using a combination waterproof/compression sack from Outdoor Research. Not as light as the cuben fibers, but you can't beat the compression and absolute waterproof nature of these things.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/19/85b0a7ffca3e234cf8bbc26810ec94ca.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/19/9ba6da2106ebd4caca29e6336d015a6a.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/19/5514159ab9073720faba8178c6bce57e.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/19/b51820f5fa10db9c39e2639091f536bc.jpg

bemental
02-19-2015, 09:47
(That was a 4.85 pound, zero degree sleeping bag, waterproofed and compressed to a bit longer then a hands breadth)

RED-DOG
02-19-2015, 09:49
I use a 15L for food and a 10L for clothes and smaller for everything else.

garlic08
02-19-2015, 10:14
I'm not trying to be snarky either, but I agree with whatever size fits. Good tip about starting with a plastic bag.

I have never actually bought a stuff sack. I make do with whatever comes with sleeping bags and tents I've bought and the things they give away for free at most grocery stores (except maybe in Boulder, CO).

Walkintom
02-19-2015, 12:22
I use a variety of sizes of Outdoor Research stuff sacks. We probably have over a dozen of them and when we're packing for a trip - we use the sizes that seem appropriate.

Also, I like to have color coding to make it easy to identify them at a glance so I won't choose 2 blue stuff sacks that are near the same size for a trip if any other combo works. I'm lazy like that.

Christoph
02-19-2015, 23:19
Anyone use the Bass Pro sacks? I have a gift card so they're essentially free :) Like these:
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Deluxe-Stuff-Sacks/product/10219199/

What are your thoughts with these?