PDA

View Full Version : Anone Out On The Trail, Right Now?

Mother Natures Son
02-15-2015, 12:49
It was -18F earlier today with Snow coming Tuesday or Wed. of next week. (S.C. PA) In the South, Snow, Rain and all sorts of bad weather expected to arrive next week. I was wondering, is anyone planning to get on the trail for a day or longer soon?

FatMan
02-15-2015, 15:26
Not nearly that cold down here in GA but it was 9F with wind chill below 0F. I waited until it was up to 15F before I went out today for a couple of hours. It was sunny and the wind had slowed so it was actually quite fabulous.

Sarcasm the elf
02-15-2015, 15:32
I wish I was out on the CT/MA section right now, it's jaw-droppingly beautiful out this time of year, all you need is the right gear. Instead I'm sick and at home.

Another Kevin
02-15-2015, 16:09
I wish I was out on the CT/MA section right now, it's jaw-droppingly beautiful out this time of year, all you need is the right gear. Instead I'm sick and at home.

That sucks - but today, I'm just as glad that I'm at home. Forecast low in the Taconics tonight is -18F, with winds gusting to 50 mph. I'm not geared up to handle a -55F wind chill!

Feel better!

double d
02-15-2015, 16:10
I think TipiWalter might be on a trail in this weather!!!!

tiptoe
02-15-2015, 16:10
Agree about the beauty of winter, but I'm shivering right here at home. If things warm up just a little, I may venture out tomorrow to the local state park with my husky; it's perfect weather for him. Meanwhile I'm enjoying the sparkling light right in my back field, where occasionally red foxes surface from their converted woodchuck burrow condos to watch me as I watch them.

Sarcasm the elf
02-15-2015, 16:22
That sucks - but today, I'm just as glad that I'm at home. Forecast low in the Taconics tonight is -18F, with winds gusting to 50 mph. I'm not geared up to handle a -55F wind chill!

Feel better!
-18f ambient, or with windchill? I can take -18 windchill, ambient, not so much...

gbolt
02-15-2015, 16:54
I think TipiWalter might be on a trail in this weather!!!!

Tipi posted on another thread stating he was off trail and was working to get together a trip report. It was extremely cold with a "face eating" wind. His words not mine.

The Smokies are looking to get hit again Monday Morning through Tueday. Read a Journal of an AT Hiker that is hunkered down in Gatlinburg/New Found Gap saying that it has been tuff since departure January 1st.

Tis the season according to Pa Phil!

Del Q
02-15-2015, 17:18
I have not been out a lot in super cold weather, what I do know is that tenting at 5 or 6pm to get settled in, there all night bundled up until like 7am is a long time.

The other negative, there are not bugs, deer, nothing out at all when its really cold.

And its really cold out.

Feral Bill
02-15-2015, 18:11
I have not been out a lot in super cold weather, what I do know is that tenting at 5 or 6pm to get settled in, there all night bundled up until like 7am is a long time.

The other negative, there are not bugs, deer, nothing out at all when its really cold.

And its really cold out. For those of us who like laying around in bed, winter rocks.

LoneStranger
02-15-2015, 18:26
A good book with a lantern to read it by makes a huge difference on those long nights. I bailed on a Pemi two nighter I had planned for this weekend due to low temps but I made up for it with a -15°f sleep test in the back yard. Might go Thursday but current forecast has -10°f that night so might not depending on winds :)

novastar
02-15-2015, 19:29
Mount Washington is a balmy

Temperature: -31°F

a little colder windchill -78°F

https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/mount-washington-weather.aspx

FlyFishNut
02-15-2015, 21:23
A buddy and I did an overnighter last night at Grayson Highlands and that was probably the most frigid night I've ever spent in the woods.

The wind gusted to what felt like over 30mph and the morning temp was -6.

It was a looooooong night spent in the tent. We were covered in snow and the wind was howling, so I hit the tent around 7pm and didn't get up until 7:45.

I was super warm and comfortable in my bag / tent, but wish I'd brought something to read b/c as stated above; 11 hours is a long time to hunker down.

That said, the snow was beautiful to see fall, and the landscape there is rugged and was cool to see under a blanket of white.

Miner
02-15-2015, 21:38
I think some of you are speaking a foreign language as I don't understand what you ate talking about. Negative temperatures, wind chill? What language is that ? I'm typing this on an outdoor dining area in short sleeves as an 80F sunny day ends. :cool:

Malto
02-15-2015, 21:54
I think some of you are speaking a foreign language as I don't understand what you ate talking about. Negative temperatures, wind chill? What language is that ? I'm typing this on an outdoor dining area in short sleeves as an 80F sunny day ends. :cool:

Yeah but you're going to fall into the ocean!!!!!!!

Miner
02-15-2015, 22:26
Yeah but you're going to fall into the ocean!!!!!!!. That is actually mostly a myth. Most of LA is slowly moving north towards San Francisco, not dropping into the sea. In a million years, the Dodgers and the Giants will once again be cross town rivals. This doesn't mean that large parts won't be flattened several times in the process though. Though there are some more old but expensive homes built on the hills in Malibu that are slowly falling into the ocean but that is caused by erosion but is likely one of the sources of that popular myth.

misprof
02-16-2015, 02:27
FlyFish Nut. What kind of a bag/pad are you using?

Treehugger
02-16-2015, 08:25
Genesis is out there. She was, last I heard a few days ago near Watauga Dam. She started last year and has been hop scotching the AT as life/weather permits. She has about 500 miles left and is determined to get it done within the year time frame. Tough lady!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyFishNut
02-16-2015, 08:31
FlyFish Nut. What kind of a bag/pad are you using?

I admit, out of all the gear - I was most concerned about how my sleep setup would perform. Due to the danger of negative degree temps and winds that ended up gusting to 50mph according to park employee, I definitely wasn't taking this lightly.

So - my bag is a pretty old LLbean down coldweather bag. It doesn't have a model name on it and I can't find it on their website anymore. I also had a Cocoon CoolMax mummy liner (this REALLY makes a big difference despite feeling so thin).

Pads: a inexpensive Ridgerest pad with another old school original Thermarest air pad (Im guessing 12yr old) on top.

REI had down booties on sale for $11 the day before I left. I put some hand warmers in them and wore them in my bag, but couldn't stand the heat and kicked them off after a couple hours.

I wore light capalene patagonia bottoms under softshell (Scree Pant) and a light wool short sleeve shirt with a Monkey Man II jacket over it. I had to unzip the jacket b/c I got too hot in the middle of the night. I found I was overheating throughout the night and would vent the bag to regulate.

My bag is heavy, but over the years I've spent many nights in the 20's and it has always performed. (My dad bought him one and me one - and so I have them both - one reason they've lasted so long b/c I alternate). If I start doing more backpack trips I may look at a lighter bag and use this one for canoe float trips where weight isn't an issue.

Probably more info than you wanted...

rocketsocks
02-16-2015, 08:51
I admit, out of all the gear - I was most concerned about how my sleep setup would perform. Due to the danger of negative degree temps and winds that ended up gusting to 50mph according to park employee, I definitely wasn't taking this lightly.

So - my bag is a pretty old LLbean down coldweather bag. It doesn't have a model name on it and I can't find it on their website anymore. I also had a Cocoon CoolMax mummy liner (this REALLY makes a big difference despite feeling so thin).

Pads: a inexpensive Ridgerest pad with another old school original Thermarest air pad (Im guessing 12yr old) on top.

REI had down booties on sale for $11 the day before I left. I put some hand warmers in them and wore them in my bag, but couldn't stand the heat and kicked them off after a couple hours.

I wore light capalene patagonia bottoms under softshell (Scree Pant) and a light wool short sleeve shirt with a Monkey Man II jacket over it. I had to unzip the jacket b/c I got too hot in the middle of the night. I found I was overheating throughout the night and would vent the bag to regulate.

My bag is heavy, but over the years I've spent many nights in the 20's and it has always performed. (My dad bought him one and me one - and so I have them both - one reason they've lasted so long b/c I alternate). If I start doing more backpack trips I may look at a lighter bag and use this one for canoe float trips where weight isn't an issue.

Probably more info than you wanted...Smart move, I placed a instant heat under a brace I had on my wrist and fell asleep...it cooked the skin, literally and left a bit of a scar.

LoneStranger
02-16-2015, 10:02
They make toe warmers that are smaller and don't generate as much heat as the larger hand warmers. Either works well tucked in an unworn sock to prevent skin contact. If the sock is clean you can snuggle up to it better heh.

I save them for when I wake up cold in the wee hours of the morning rather than use them all the time. Good to have something to fall back on in an emergency.

rocketsocks
02-16-2015, 10:15
They make toe warmers that are smaller and don't generate as much heat as the larger hand warmers. Either works well tucked in an unworn sock to prevent skin contact. If the sock is clean you can snuggle up to it better heh.

I save them for when I wake up cold in the wee hours of the morning rather than use them all the time. Good to have something to fall back on in an emergency.
Good to know thanks, use to use the hand warmers when I worked outside during the few coldest days of a cold snap.

FlyFishNut
02-16-2015, 11:32
The ONLY issue I had was that my boots were colder than hell when I put them on in the morning - and I put some hand warmers in the boots a couple hours ahead of time and covered the tops to trap heat, but that didn't do much. So when I put my boots on, my toes were cold for quite a while. My little piggies weren't in anyt danger, but not comfy at first.

Any tricks to warm boots up after sitting in my tent all night??

LoneStranger
02-16-2015, 11:52
Below 20°f or so my leather boots turn to rocks and the only way to thaw them out is putting my feet in them. For really cold weather I prefer to use my Baffin boots with a removable insulated liner. The liners could be worn as booties for sleeping or sitting in the tent but I just tuck them under the quilts. Prewarming them lets you bring some extra heat with you when you put your feet into the boots in the morning.

wornoutboots
02-16-2015, 16:05
It was -18F earlier today with Snow coming Tuesday or Wed. of next week. (S.C. PA) In the South, Snow, Rain and all sorts of bad weather expected to arrive next week. I was wondering, is anyone planning to get on the trail for a day or longer soon?
There are few Thru's currently hiking, according to TJ's. One made it as far as Gatlinburg but has since gotten off the trail to wait the weather out. Most who have had starting times up to this point and actually started the trail have quit.

Namtrag
02-16-2015, 16:14
What's an anone? ;)

Anyway, more power to those who have the courage to be out on the trail right now!

Another Kevin
02-16-2015, 21:48
-18f ambient, or with windchill? I can take -18 windchill, ambient, not so much...

It was -8 ambient down here in the valley, with a windchill in the -35 - -40 range, when I walked in to work this morning. (I was fine, wore fleece AND geese, and even arrived at work a little overheated.) I'd imagine that up on the ridge there it would be colder.

I need to get a better facemask. With the one I have, I get my breath up my goggles, and wind up walking practically blind.

The Solemates
02-17-2015, 11:09
we were out there this weekend for a 4 day trip. it was a cold one! single digit lows about every night.

FlyFishNut
02-17-2015, 16:25
Here are the stats from the other night. I figure that's about as best a test as I want to conduct on my gear.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KGEV/2015/2/15/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Grayson+Highlands+State +Park&req_state=VA&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=24363&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999&MR=1

shelb
02-17-2015, 21:50
Mount Washington is a balmy

Temperature: -31°F

a little colder windchill -78°F
https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/mount-washington-weather.aspx

Wow! I thought these temperatures were only reached in parts of the upper mid-west or west!