PDA

View Full Version : Vanished Post... Operator Error?

McPick
02-15-2015, 13:04
I spent some time, last night, writing an update to my recent hike to the Wave formation in northern Arizona. When I tried to attach a picture, I was directed to sign in (again). After doing so, my (exceptionally well) written post had vanished. I tried going back, back, back, but no luck. Bummer. I started hearing Twilight Zone music...

What happened? Timed out from initial signing in? Sign in again and all is lost? Other?

Besides writing posts in another location and copying them here, are there alternatives?

Many thanks.

MuddyWaters
02-15-2015, 13:50
Yep.
If you arent logged in, you better copy what you wrote to clipboard before doing so.

This site doesnt work with a holiday Inn express I stay at oftens internet. You are logged out every 30 seconds or something. Makes it nearly impossible to post anything. No other site behaves that way that I might visit.

map man
02-15-2015, 17:01
If you go back to the forum you originally tried to start a thread in, or the thread you originally tried to add a post in, and scroll down to the reply box where you were typing there is a button (lower left in reply box) which says "Restore auto-saved content" that will bring back most of what you were typing (if it was a new thread you were starting you will need to hit the button that says "start new thread" at the top of the forum page you were in to get back to the proper reply box). When you are typing in a post it is periodically being saved. Just as I was typing now a little reminder popped into the bottom right corner for a few seconds saying "auto-saved." Then before saving this post I opened a new window and went to this thread, looked in the reply box and saw the "Restore auto-saved content" button.

Attroll clued me into this feature one time when I sent him a panicked e-mail because this same sort of thing happened to me when I was in the midst of typing up one of my articles. It worked like a charm. You will only have as much content as was saved the last time the "auto-save" feature kicked in, but you'll probably only be missing the last sentence or two. Hope that works for you like it did for me.