PDA

View Full Version : can you not edit your own posts?

wilconow
11-01-2005, 15:49
cannot figure out how to edit my own posts. there has to be a way!??

wilconow
11-01-2005, 15:50
cannot figure out how to edit my own posts. there has to be a way!??

wait. on the post i just made there is an edit button. how come this isnt so in the general forum?

rhjanes
11-01-2005, 18:04
you can only edit your own posts.....unless you have the magic walking stick....
and it logs it....and you have to be logged in.....

SGT Rock
11-01-2005, 18:12
Post editing is limited to a few minutes after you make the post in case of an error. After the time is past, you cannot go back and edit the posts. We had a situation a while back where a troll would post inflammatory things, people would respond, then he would go back and change the post so it made people look like idiots. So in an attempt to stop that foolishness the edit function was changed.

wilconow
11-01-2005, 18:16
Thanks. Now it makes sense.

Rain Man
11-02-2005, 01:28
Post editing is limited to a few minutes after you make the post in case of an error. After the time is past, you cannot go back and edit the posts. We had a situation a while back where a troll would post inflammatory things, people would respond, then he would go back and change the post so it made people look like idiots. So in an attempt to stop that foolishness the edit function was changed.

Hey Rock, could we pretty please go back to the way it was? This seems like an over-reaction to me, to a minor problem.

Besides which, anybody can quote someone post they're replying to, if they're worried about looking like idiots.

Rain Man

attroll
11-02-2005, 04:54
Everyone should have 30 minutes from the time they posted to edit it.

Why would we need ot go back the way we were? If you don't need to edit your post within 30 minutes after you make it then you should not need to edit it again anythime after that.

wilconow
11-02-2005, 07:48
Why would we need ot go back the way we were? If you don't need to edit your post within 30 minutes after you make it then you should not need to edit it again anythime after that.

I just had a situation on the at photo project thread in 'general' where the URL I originally posted photos had changed. wanted to edit it but couldnt. i realize that's kind of a rare situation

Rain Man
11-02-2005, 19:48

Because I'm not always able to go back and reread what I post within 30 minutes?

PLUS... if I later get an answer, learn something new, need to add some clarification, whatever, I can add that or make the correction/update.

I think the question ought rather to be "Why not allow users to edit their posts anytime?" After all, the software inserts a notice that you've done it. And the only answer I've gotten about why not is something somebody once did, and there are other, better ways to solve that problem. Seems like the solution chosen is throwing out the baby with the bath water to me. I'd say your first inclination was the right one, as is often the case.

But hey, you Moderators know far better than I, and I mean that with all sincerity. I don't even read many of the threads. I only answered because you asked, Rick! Too much to keep up with as it is!

Rain:sunMan

tlbj6142
11-03-2005, 10:40
But hey, you Moderators know far better than I, and I mean that with all sincerity. I don't even read many of the threads. I only answered because you asked, Rick! Too much to keep up with as it is!Why can't I insert blank lines into my reponses!!! New line New line New line The above should have 3 "new line" entries with a blank line between them. What gives?

tlbj6142
11-03-2005, 10:58
Why can't I insert blank lines into my reponses!!! New line New line New line The above should have 3 "new line" entries with a blank line between them. What gives?Here is a posting via IE..

blank line follows...

blank line follows...

All done.

So that's it. Firefox doesn't like the new board, but IE is fine with it. Weird. Anyone else notice this?

attroll
11-03-2005, 14:23
Well

It seems

To work for me and I am using firfox 1.0.6

Whistler
11-03-2005, 14:28
Firefox

is working

for me. But it did have some weird re-directing from the home page for a couple days. But it's all good now.
-Mark

tlbj6142
11-03-2005, 15:50
I have 1.0.7. <blank line> I noticed in IE when I edit an existing message, the message itself turns into an edit box, but under Firefox it does not.

tlbj6142
11-03-2005, 15:51
I have 1.0.7. I noticed in IE when I edit an existing message, the message itself turns into an edit box, but under Firefox it does not.Firefox 1.0.7 response with quote. blankline blankline end of message

The Old Fhart
11-04-2005, 08:08
You guys are lucky! Using AOL for access, the graphics for the "reply" box shows up as a rectangular frame with an "x" inside, or is totally blank. The "reply with quote" box does the same thing. I know where they are so I can still use them even though they are invisible, but once I bring up the reply message box is where it really goes to hell. All the choices above the message box do not work which makes [QUOTE] hard to use because I have to do it manually. All the emoticons are dead too. They show, although some, like the :( show as a broken image. All this started with the recent upgrade. Note that the emoticon I entered manually showed up blank when I previewed the message and about a minute later showed up as a box frame with an "x" inside. Whenever I have tried to access any of these features that don't work, the mouse pointer starts flashing as well which is kinda strange.

Firefox 1.0 works properly on the same computer. IE 6.0 works as well. There are 4 computers on my home network; 2 desktops(1 is my wife's), 1 laptop running some data collection 24/7, and 1 big honking Mac that belongs to my daughter, a graphics designer. It does seem that every time there is an upgrade to this site, there is a problem with AOL on the desktops and it has always been fixed in the past.

07:18 the "Edit", "Quick reply", and "Read New Post" eventually show but don't work on AOL. They do on Firefox.