PDA

View Full Version : HikeLighter.com - Lightest Fully Enclosed Shelters

Praha4
02-16-2015, 12:06
Anyone looking at U/L tents/tarps will be interested in this article with spreadsheet that just came out at HikeLighter.com. I'm posting it here to get the info out to the WB community.

http://hikelighter.com/2015/02/12/lightest-fully-enclosed-shelters/

Many on the list are well known here at White Blaze.

jawnzee
02-17-2015, 08:30
i still can't figure out why anyone would put a cost / ounce figure when analyzing shelters. a $100 1lb shelter is as good of a buy as a $300 3lb shelter? what? is anyone really saying that a $300 3 lb shelter is more cost effective than a $300 2 lb shelter because you get more pounds for the money? isn't that the opposite of what we're trying to do?

SteelCut
02-17-2015, 08:43
I've been looking at the MLD Patrol Tarp (solo version plus a bug bivy) for some time. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it in very stormy conditions. Is it possible to pitch the sides low enough to prevent slash back and still have enough room to sit up and move around ??

Honuben
02-17-2015, 09:38
I've been looking at the MLD Patrol Tarp (solo version plus a bug bivy) for some time. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it in very stormy conditions. Is it possible to pitch the sides low enough to prevent slash back and still have enough room to sit up and move around ??

i have been using the patrol shelter and bug bivey for about a year now. You can pitch it low for stormy weather but even at the normal pitching angles there is not much room for me to "move" around. Sitting up is about all I can do at 6'3. I have not been in torrential rain storms, just lite rain and it works fine. Though I am not one to spend a lot of time in the shelter after I wake up. Like many "UL" shelters it definaty has that mnimalistic/bare essential quality. I have read many others use an UL umbrella for further rain protection to act as a door which I may experiment with in the future.

kayak karl
02-17-2015, 09:40
i don't tent, but i thought there were a lot more options out there. aren't heartfire's tents considered UL???

SteelCut
02-17-2015, 09:42
Thanks. I've been experimenting with a UL umbrella in warm weather conditions so it sounds like I can get multiple uses out of the umbrella when used in conjunction with the tarp.

saltysack
02-17-2015, 09:50
i don't tent, but i thought there were a lot more options out there. aren't heartfire's tents considered UL???

Doubt it I have her solong6....around 2lbs....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abela
02-17-2015, 16:58
i still can't figure out why anyone would put a cost / ounce figure when analyzing shelters. a $100 1lb shelter is as good of a buy as a $300 3lb shelter? what? is anyone really saying that a $300 3 lb shelter is more cost effective than a $300 2 lb shelter because you get more pounds for the money? isn't that the opposite of what we're trying to do?

I tend to keep it on there because of it being an insider joke to those that remember the original list that I made... and yep, I agree with you... another part of me keeping it in there is to watch how people react to it (not you, but those who cite it in the opposite direction) and I get a giggle out of it. I'm allowed that, right? :banana

Its doble, but going to be crazy tight under there, plus huge increase in condensation.

Who is "heartfire" ?? Cannot say I know of a shelter maker by that name.

saltysack
02-17-2015, 17:05
I tend to keep it on there because of it being an insider joke to those that remember the original list that I made... and yep, I agree with you... another part of me keeping it in there is to watch how people react to it (not you, but those who cite it in the opposite direction) and I get a giggle out of it. I'm allowed that, right? :banana

Its doble, but going to be crazy tight under there, plus huge increase in condensation.

Who is "heartfire" ?? Cannot say I know of a shelter maker by that name.

Heart fire= lightheart gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tipi Walter
02-17-2015, 17:05

Check out this link---

http://dzjow.com/2011/06/08/tarping-with-the-grace-solo-spinntex-97/

Connie
02-17-2015, 17:06
Heartfire in Whiteblaze forum is LightHear Gear.

Edit: Someone beat me to it.

This "touch typing" on my iPod Touch is slow.

Tipi Walter
02-17-2015, 17:06
He has several warnings and negatories about using such a minimal tarp---

Connie
02-17-2015, 17:11
Abela, I liked the cost per ounce.

I was thinking steak, no. Truffles, maybe. Caviar?

Connie
02-17-2015, 17:19
Excellent review: http://dzjow.com/2011/06/08/tarping-with-the-grace-solo-spinntex-97/ Nice photos.

The reasons he provides are why so many people will purchase the Tarptent ProTrail.

But look at how much use he gets from his tarp.

Look at the places he takes his small tarp.

For myself, I would rather have a side-entry small tarp: the end-entry small tarp seems so much smaller to me both getting inside and from the inside looking out.

I have a Titanium Goat Bug Bivy to keep off "splash" if any. The bug netting keeps any condensation off my lovely down quilt, if any the bug net takes it all and dries quickly. The "bathtub" floor tucks in the edges of the Hammock Gear Burrow 20 sleeping quilt. I haven't needed to use elastic cord around my XTherm or NeoAir. No need for NeoAir brand accessory snaps, so far.

This outfit is a lightweight and low volume very comfy "deluxe" camp.

jawnzee
02-17-2015, 18:16

giggles always allowed :banana

Abela
02-17-2015, 20:35
Heartfire in Whiteblaze forum is LightHear Gear.

Well that is just... uhhh... odd. LHG is what I usually see it as, if not the full name... but "heartfire"... thats just, uhhh, odd. :confused:

I have a Titanium Goat Bug Bivy to keep off "splash" if any. The bug netting keeps any condensation off my lovely down quilt, if any the bug net takes it all and dries quickly. The "bathtub" floor tucks in the edges of the Hammock Gear Burrow 20 sleeping quilt.

I am a pretty avid anti-bivouac kind of hiker. I have owned and used a number of them, including the much beloved MLD Superlight. After going through over a half-dozen of them, I finally bought the TiGoat "Bug Bivy (http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Bug-Bivy.html)". In my opinion, for non-alpine and non-four-season uses, it is the only bivy that really makes sense. As you said, the all-net top makes it so that the #1 problem with a bivouac is nullified... internal condensation (and for those that argue it means air flow, uhhh, that is a good thing. and... uhhh, your sleeping bag should have good enough fabric to keep the airflow out, if not, you shouldn't have bought whatever sleeping bag you bought, if it cannot keep air flow from getting in, duh) and as you also pointed out, the crazy high bathtub walls means that the #2 problem of bivouacs is nullified... rainspray. It really is the best well-thought-out bivouac I have encountered - again, for non-alpine, non-4-season bivouac use.

giggles always allowed

...Everybody dance now (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12VUjgYMm1U)....
:banana:banana:banana

Connie
02-17-2015, 21:30
That's her forum name.

I only use my Titanium Goat Bug Bivy for "alpine" use: I live next to The Continental Divide: I do my backpacking only in the mountains.

I find that the netting material he uses is "just right" for air-flow. It repels light winds, as well, for "cowboy camping". I do that a lot. I like to fall asleep under the big starry sky.

The other excellent bivy I have had is a a ToddTex bivy that was awesome for the cold rainey Oregon coastal mountains.

The ToddTex material is too bulky to backpack.

Gray Bear
02-19-2015, 07:02
Check out this link---

http://dzjow.com/2011/06/08/tarping-with-the-grace-solo-spinntex-97/

Good read. Thank you

RumpusParable
02-19-2015, 13:50
Thanks, Abela, I found the comparison list quite helpful.

MuddyWaters
02-22-2015, 22:52
4 oz of weight span amongst the lightest shelters, is the least important attribute for selection.

Connie
02-22-2015, 23:24
It's great to have so many lightweight gear choices.