PDA

View Full Version : AT dates full

Jake2c
02-16-2015, 16:21
I went on line to the official AT site where you can register. I found out they close start dates as the numbers reach a maximum amount. Just for fun I looked at the dates open starting in Jan 2016. The site shows every day full from Jan 1 to May 31, and then open after that. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not. The site seems pretty straight forward but that just seem crazy. The AT has become so crowded that according to the sight, there is not an expected opening at any camp site for the first 5 months. I want the AT to stay beautiful. I don't see a choice though. I will have to stealth camp. Because I intend to use a hammock I should have little impact, I don't need to clear a space for a tent. Sort of disappointed that it has gotten to this point. Any thoughts?

Lone Wolf
02-16-2015, 16:31
you're not required to register or tell anyone when you intend to hike. it's not a law

rickb
02-16-2015, 16:31
You need to go back and reread everything the ATC wrote. On thier registration page. Then, you need to understand the reservation program is still in "beta mode".

brancher
02-16-2015, 16:44
Why would you get spun up over 2016? Look at 2015! The ATC is not a jurisdictional authority, 'opening and closing the AT' at will. The ATC an advocacy, volunteer, stewardship and conservation organization. Obviously, the IT staff there hasn't gotten around to working the 2016 calendar yet.

Heck, I'd bet they are up to their collective ears in 2015 right now.....

rocketsocks
02-16-2015, 18:54
I went on line to the official AT site where you can register. I found out they close start dates as the numbers reach a maximum amount. Just for fun I looked at the dates open starting in Jan 2016. The site shows every day full from Jan 1 to May 31, and then open after that. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not. The site seems pretty straight forward but that just seem crazy. The AT has become so crowded that according to the sight, there is not an expected opening at any camp site for the first 5 months. I want the AT to stay beautiful. I don't see a choice though. I will have to stealth camp. Because I intend to use a hammock I should have little impact, I don't need to clear a space for a tent. Sort of disappointed that it has gotten to this point. Any thoughts?Nobody starts those dates...to crowded. :D

map man
02-16-2015, 19:16
Registration for the 2016 year will not open until Dec. 1, 2015. That information is on the ATC website on the Gateway page for the registration system.

ctebeau
02-16-2015, 19:17
Hmmm I feel like maybe they just aren't taking registration for the 2016 season yet. I just got on the site and registered for my 2015 thru and pretty much everything was open.

Lauriep
02-17-2015, 09:09
Jake2c,

I'm on the team the developed the registration. I'm sorry it wasn't clearer that the registration was only for 2015. As Mapman noted, if you read everything on that first page, it did explain that the registration was just for this year, but you had to read below the "register" button. I've made some changes to the landing page to try to make it more obvious, adding "2015" to the title of the page and mentioning earlier elsewhere on the page that the registration is only for 2016.

You will be able to register for 2016 by December 1, 2015.

Laurie Potteiger
Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Jake2c
02-17-2015, 10:32
Jake2c,

I'm on the team the developed the registration. I'm sorry it wasn't clearer that the registration was only for 2015. As Mapman noted, if you read everything on that first page, it did explain that the registration was just for this year, but you had to read below the "register" button. I've made some changes to the landing page to try to make it more obvious, adding "2015" to the title of the page and mentioning earlier elsewhere on the page that the registration is only for 2016.

You will be able to register for 2016 by December 1, 2015.

Laurie Potteiger
Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Great, thanks so much for your response, you guys do a great service for us by your work, sorry I did not read more carefully. I was at work and it was a quick look, not a careful read so I missed a few points, as happens, even in the simple paragraph I wrote. I was disappointed, not spun up, just talked about camp sites and crowding, I was surprised that there would be no camping sites open which is now a moot point. So thanks again. I am relatively new to my understanding of the AT. Sorry for missing the point that 2016 was not yet open to sign up. I will wait for December.