PDA

View Full Version : Posts Moved, no access

Ender
11-01-2005, 16:09
So, a few posts have been moved, and whenever they are I click on the link and it tells me I can not access it. No rights or some such explanation. Do I need to click on the link in the place where it was moved to? If so, how do I know where it was moved? Most recently the Warren Doyle post got moved, I'm not sure where, and I have no access to it. Not that this is a big deal, that post was pretty much just a minute waster for me during my workday, but there have been other posts that have been moved that I'd wanted to read that had actual hiking/gear info in them. Can't name one specifically though, it's been a while since that's happened. Thanks!

the goat
11-01-2005, 16:10
same thing for me when i tried.

SGT Rock
11-01-2005, 16:31
Some posts are in groups where you have to have permission to see them. Some more controversial topics and off topic issues either start there or get moved there. The reason is that many people come to this site to talk backpacking and the AT, but some of us, like to get a little off on tangents. This allows people on tangents to have a say (for the most part) while attempting to leave the main part of the site for hiking talk.

Hope this helps. If you go to your User CP you should be able to find additional user groups you can join if you want access.

weary
11-01-2005, 16:49
So, a few posts have been moved, and whenever they are I click on the link and it tells me I can not access it. No rights or some such explanation. Do I need to click on the link in the place where it was moved to? If so, how do I know where it was moved? Most recently the Warren Doyle post got moved, I'm not sure where, and I have no access to it. Not that this is a big deal, that post was pretty much just a minute waster for me during my workday, but there have been other posts that have been moved that I'd wanted to read that had actual hiking/gear info in them. Can't name one specifically though, it's been a while since that's happened. Thanks!
Think of it as sort of a modified Trailplace syndrome.

Ender
11-01-2005, 17:20
Some posts are in groups where you have to have permission to see them. Some more controversial topics and off topic issues either start there or get moved there. The reason is that many people come to this site to talk backpacking and the AT, but some of us, like to get a little off on tangents. This allows people on tangents to have a say (for the most part) while attempting to leave the main part of the site for hiking talk.

Hope this helps. If you go to your User CP you should be able to find additional user groups you can join if you want access.

So... um... They get moved, and then how do you continue to access them? How does one get permission? Why wouldn't one have permission? My User CP has nothing in it as far as subscribed threads go. Where are these mysterious Groups located? :)

Like I said, not a big deal, just trying to figure my way around this site. A little confusing at times for me, but that's very certainly my fault.

SGT Rock
11-01-2005, 17:22
Go to User CP on the nav bar up top.

Then, once that opens, look for a link on the left side link navigation bar called "Group Memberships (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=editusergroups)"

This will bring up a list (on top) of available groups, and on the bottom of groups you have a membership in.

Ender
11-01-2005, 17:33
Go to User CP on the nav bar up top.

Then, once that opens, look for a link on the left side link navigation bar called "Group Memberships (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=editusergroups)"

This will bring up a list (on top) of available groups, and on the bottom of groups you have a membership in.

AHA!!! Much thanks! And amazingly fast response time... impressive, master jedi...

SGT Rock
11-01-2005, 17:37
No problem. We attempt to make some concessions to some things without being total jerks about deletions and edits. Personally I wouldn't want to ever delete anything, but then again...

Human nature.

rhjanes
11-01-2005, 18:02
suggest using ' with no-redirect" option......if you REALLY want something to vanish to the general public (I super-mod another forum)....

SGT Rock
11-01-2005, 18:10
Well we don't want to be acused of deleting threads or posts. So if someone chooses to chase the thread, that is their own business and they are warned :D