PDA

View Full Version : zPacks MultiPack vs Shoulder Pouch for ULA Circuit

Coffee
02-16-2015, 17:55
I have a ULA Circuit and for the past few hikes I have had a single zPacks shoulder strap pouch which has been great for storing things that I want to keep available while hiking. My Circuit has hip belt pouches as well which I use to keep food to eat while on the move as well as my camera. For my upcoming PCT hike, I was planning to buy an additional zPacks shoulder strap pouch since it has been so useful for me and I could use a bit more additional storage up front and it would free up space in my pack's side pockets for heavy water carries. However, I got to thinking about the zPacks Multi pack as a possible alternate solution. It is obviously much larger and could possibly eliminate the need for shoulder pouches altogether. Then I could use the shoulder strap loops for even more water on the desert sections of the PCT, if needed.

Has anyone used the zPacks multi pack with a ULA Circuit as I'm describing here?

Firefighter503
02-16-2015, 18:30
I think Stick used one with a ULA pack (can't recall which one) prior to switching to an Arc Blast (I believe).

Coffee
02-16-2015, 18:35
Actually I think I remember watching one of his videos on the multi pack. I'll go check out his site to see if I can find it. Thanks for reminding me.

Connie
02-16-2015, 20:01
I like to see my feet, hiking in the mountains.

That could be a consideration.

OwenM
02-17-2015, 12:43
I use the ZPacks Multipack independent of my backpack with a long strap around my neck, and a bottom strap(normally just comes with one longer strap, but I had them send two) around my body so it doesn't move. I wear it over my belly, so it's easy to see and get into, and isn't as obtrusive as a "chest pack".

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/8448/OhcLZX.jpg

Coffee
07-01-2015, 19:11
As a follow up on this thread, I did purchase the Multi-pack right before I left for the PCT and didn't have much time to test it before I left. On the first day, I wore it as a chest pack and it had a lot of bounce ... and it got irritating after a while. Also, while not a huge issue, I did have less ventilation around my chest due to the pack being there.

So I switched the placement of the multi-pack and made it in to a "brain" on top of my Circuit. The included straps make it really easy to position the Multi-pack in this way and it was very secure. I kept many items I wanted access to during the day in the multi-pack thereby making it unnecessary to ever open the main body of the Circuit during the day.

I also used the Multi-pack as a day bag (man bag?) when walking around town as well as during travel. It was nice to have a bag that I could carry into establishments that didn't want my full pack carried in. The multi-pack at that point would have valuables that I didn't want to leave in the pack outside.

Overall I would recommend the product although I am not sure I will carry it on all of my hikes in the future.

Oh it is also very water resistant. It was partially exposed during a couple of downpours and the inside contents remained dry.

I also used one zPacks shoulder pouch. I love the shoulder pouch. I have purchased another one that I'll probably use on all hikes. I think that two shoulder pouches will make the multi-pack unnecessary on most trips.