PDA

View Full Version : Camping options alon AT in NJ/NY

colorado_rob
02-16-2015, 20:30
I'm going to be hitting the trail this late April/early May for a few hundred miles, and the first week has some time constraints (trying to arrange meeting a pal)... I'll be starting NOBO from the NJ highpoint state park, mile 1332. The only camp spots listed in AWOL north (AT north, kinda really SE) from there are at shelters. The spacing of the shelters per this self-imposed time constraint is inconvenient for when I want to be where...

So, my long winded question is: Does anyone know if there are reasonable quick-camp spots along the way, starting at the Pochuck shelter and north of there for the next couple dozen miles?

Looking at Google Earth, it sure looks like there are some clearings here and there along the trail, but who knows, these might be swamps or other undesirable areas for a quick camp. FWIW: I always practice minimum impact, I'll use the shelter privies, etc, just looking for a couple quick "stealth" camps in between the existing shelters.

Any info appreciated.

Del Q
02-16-2015, 21:06
Would have to check my trail book by the Belvale Dairy on the road by Greenwood Lake is an easy pickup spot..........they have GREAT ice cream.

Oddly, my son and two friends did a section hike in that area to Ft Montgomery, had a Chinese restaurant deliver food to the "dairy" - ate at the picnic tables.

Classic

I recall plenty of places to tent when I was through there.

illabelle
02-16-2015, 22:16
We went from Bellvale to DWG last spring. From what I remember, there may have been opportunities to camp between Wawayanda and Bellvale. However, between Pochuck and Wawayanda DOES have swampy areas. I would be cautious in your planning unless you can get good intel from someone pretty familiar with this area.

Slo-go'en
02-16-2015, 22:58
So, my long winded question is: Does anyone know if there are reasonable quick-camp spots along the way, starting at the Pochuck shelter and north of there for the next couple dozen miles?

That's a real suburban stretch of trail, your almost walking in peoples back yards there and it also includes the infamous 2 mile long boardwalk through the swamp, which has been known to be underwater in the early spring. Non-designated camping spots are going to be hard to come by. Your pretty much committed to go all the way to Wawayanda (BTW, the climb up to Wawayanda MT is a steep rock scramble). Or you could go to one of the several towns you pass by there and stay at a B+B or Hostel. Maybe it will be raining that day and make the decision easy :)

Feral Bill
02-17-2015, 01:21
Harriman State Park has strict "camp at the shelter" rules, which are widely ignored. If it suits you, there are additional shelters on parallel trails.