PDA

View Full Version : Missing Hiker - Neals Gap Area

yerbyray
02-17-2015, 00:14
We just took a call shortly before 11pm of a missing hiker going from Suchas, Ga to Neals Gap. He was a day or two overdue. Why on earth do folks wait till late at night to call for help? We passed her along to the right people as we do not coordinate SAR and it was in Ga. It has been sleeting and freezing rain for the last eight hours where he was headed. I feel sorry for him.

I will try and learn more and post what I can.

Praha4
02-17-2015, 00:19
Let's hope he is found, this is classic hypothermia weather. Bad time to be out on the trail unless you know what you are doing and have the right gear and clothing. Perhaps he's holed up in Woods Hole or Blood Mtn Shelter for the night and will stumble into Mountain Crossings tomorrow.

yerbyray
02-17-2015, 00:31
Let's hope he is found, this is classic hypothermia weather. Bad time to be out on the trail unless you know what you are doing and have the right gear and clothing. Perhaps he's holed up in Woods Hole or Blood Mtn Shelter for the night and will stumble into Mountain Crossings tomorrow.
That's what I'm betting on

Sly
02-17-2015, 00:51
Where did he call? Wouldn't 911 patch into the local authorities?

yerbyray
02-17-2015, 09:10
Well his g/f called the NC Highway Patrol and I think she was in Florida. People always call us when they don't know where to turn and I guess that she wasn't up on her geography enough to know he was in Georgia.

Many states have a state police but we are Troopers....We just enforce motor vehicle law and investigate accidents. A state police handles everything and I guess she thought they would coordinate SAR. SAR here is coordinated by the county emergency management unless it is in a federal park. All we would do is lend a helicopter to help.

canoe
02-17-2015, 11:25
Keep us informed please.

canoe
02-17-2015, 11:27
Do you have a name?

canoe
02-17-2015, 11:32
There is a hiker named Tear Drop in this area. If its not him someone might want to talk to him to see if he saw the missing hiker.

squeezebox
02-17-2015, 11:52
Take these stories to heart. Feb, Mar, Apr can get to freezing. Bring the gear for what if, not what's normal. Every once in a while it gets 20* below normal, then you're screwed and might die. Even in May if you're packed for July and it gets to 40* you could get into big trouble. UL is possible if you know what you're doing, but stupid light is well!! stupid, and dangerous.

Lyle
02-17-2015, 12:17
I always cringe when I hear or read folks advising newbe hikers to plan on sleeping in all or most of their clothing for the expected temps in order to lower their weight. "If you are not sleeping in your clothing, you are carrying too much."

To me, you should have an adequate sleeping bag/pad for all expected temps. Sleeping in clothing is your safety margin for the unexpected.

Hope this situation turns out ok.

Sirsnappy09
02-17-2015, 12:25
It may very well be teardrop. His girlfriend is in Florida I believe. I am pretty sure they started the trail together , got off due to weather and spent some time on the FT and were to return. However, I thought they were to return in March. Just ironic how this guy's girlfriend called from Florida and he is supposedly out there now. Hope all turns out well.

Frye
02-17-2015, 12:38
I was just chatting with someone who said he already dropped out on one AT attempt this winter, and than went on to drop out of a FT attempt. Pretty much what Snappy said, but I think I'd still be shocked if it turned out to be true.

I hope this fellow is alright, but I just don't understand why someone would try a winter AT hike after flunking out on the FT. I guess hindsight isn't 20/20.

Studlintsean
02-17-2015, 12:54
Is this Tear Drop? If so, he looks to have posted a video today and i doubt he is the missing hiker. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCycqK4BmPrhn5dwBltHGUxw

canoe
02-17-2015, 13:03
The last post on TJ is a bit confusing. I think the way I am reading it is they were back on again she got hurt again and they were back in the area. Read and see what you think. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=481619

canoe
02-17-2015, 13:28
Is this Tear Drop? If so, he looks to have posted a video today and i doubt he is the missing hiker. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCycqK4BmPrhn5dwBltHGUxw Now I don't know much about youtube but the side bar says it was posted 6 months ago.

saltysack
02-17-2015, 17:03
Interesting...is he related to Dakota joe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yerbyray
02-17-2015, 17:33
Well I called Union County Georgia to see if they had an update and it turns out the fellow showed up in Towns County Georgia and was well. He came off the trail and called everyone but the one loved one that was tracking him. Go figure!!

I couldn't get his name.

saltysack
02-17-2015, 17:47
Good to hear...looks like some cold weather movin in.....

yerbyray
02-17-2015, 19:20

That is an understatement....Thursday low of -10 in Boone, NC is predicted without factoring in wind chill. Other elevations are in the same boat. Time to bring in the brass monkey

canoe
02-17-2015, 22:35
Interesting...is he related to Dakota joe? .

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI don't know. Joe did make it thru.

canoe
02-17-2015, 22:37

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Very good to hear. Its been and going to get very brutal

saltysack
02-17-2015, 22:39
He seems like a ginuine good person trying to get on track. I watched a few of his u tube videos.....best of luck....the trail sure has the ability to change people it seems...

saltysack
02-17-2015, 22:42
Genuine....man I can't spell

Gray Bear
02-18-2015, 08:04
Well I called Union County Georgia to see if they had an update and it turns out the fellow showed up in Towns County Georgia and was well. He came off the trail and called everyone but the one loved one that was tracking him. Go figure!!

I couldn't get his name.

Maybe she's the reason he's on the trail....just sayin'

wornoutboots
02-18-2015, 08:49
Interesting...is he related to Dakota joe?

I hope so, Dakota Joe finished in fine fashion!!

wornoutboots
02-18-2015, 08:50

I couldn't get his name.
Awesome News!!! Thanks for the update!!

kf1wv
02-18-2015, 15:43
Teardrop and Redemption a.k.a. jbandstacy2014 are presently at the hostel in Suches.

It may very well be teardrop. His girlfriend is in Florida I believe. I am pretty sure they started the trail together , got off due to weather and spent some time on the FT and were to return. However, I thought they were to return in March. Just ironic how this guy's girlfriend called from Florida and he is supposedly out there now. Hope all turns out well.

Sirsnappy09
02-18-2015, 18:09
Good to hear everyone is ok. I just knew they were in that area or close by.

Speakeasy TN
02-19-2015, 11:36
Since he posted the "drunk in the hostel" video, there may be a reason he forgot who he called.

kf1wv
02-19-2015, 11:46
Not the same person.

Since he posted the "drunk in the hostel" video, there may be a reason he forgot who he called.